This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

226 valves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 226 valves
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:18pm
What are some options of larger valves to put in a gleaner e head that don’t take much to make fit?
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:54pm
Bigger valves won't help unless the seat holes are bigger.        MACK
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:12am
I was planning on enlarging the hole, I’m thinking more along the lines of what stems are close
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:23am
On a stock engine (or even relatively stock) you will gain nothing and probably lose on engine lugging ability.
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
Guess I should clarify, just looking for options down the road when it gets some stroke and other upgrades
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:47pm
What RPM do you intend to run??   What size carburetor ??
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:19am
Around here the 10% over rule is common so somewhere close to that. But I’m leaning towards a build wi50 described on a post that I can’t find with a 5.5” stroke and some head and manifold work
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
25 or so years ago (winter projects) I built two identical engines that were 360 cubic inches. They were IDENTICAL in every way, except for one had big valves and port work and the other had stock valves with the intake guides shortened up. Now, they were dyno'd a week apart, so it wasn't on the same day, but the air temps were very close to the same. The results at 2,000 RPM was no difference in HP. I always assumed if you stuck them both in 3rd gear and ran them down the track until they stalled, the stock valve engine would have won. The reason for the big valve head ?? That Customer already had that head done that way from his previous engine, so I simply reused it. The stock valve head was that way to save on overall build costs. If you want to run open RPM's, I'd imagine bigger valves and port work would be an advantage.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:28pm
Yes, when the antique thing started we built several - we heard wild #'s on HP but the ones we built were competitive until the mega buck engines with max bore and stroke appeared. We put the std overbore kit in from a WD, slightly modified the piston to replicate the power crater under the spark plugs , a Lunati Cam, a D19 Carb  (a tough find in those days) with the intake opened up to match the carb ,  the ears enlarged to accept the carb , matched the intake to the head - mild porting and guide work as Doc described- and we could get to about 70 hp - close to a D19 go figure... and the unit would lug down to about 1600-1750 .... with the E gleaner gov spring.  When one goes above these workings - about a grand in new parts and lots of labor the $ goes exponentially  up in hp/$ .    Those that goes there had better talk to some one reputable who has had track success and proven longevity unless one enjoy$ walking in mine field$ of trial and error$.    

Edited by tbran - 14 Mar 2019 at 1:29pm
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:27pm
Hmm ok. well the head has to come off anyway, so is there anything to do to the head to improve airflow that would help with hp or lugging? It’s only got the overbore kit in it for now til I gather enough information and $$ to build something bigger
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
I always shorten the intake valve guides so they don't protrude into the air flow.  Run a compression test on it before you tear it down.  A stock D-17/ "E" Gleaner will have 140-145 psi cranking compression. A 170 has close to 170 psi. Some of those "over-bore" kits only have 120 psi...…     yawn.
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 6:27pm
I did a compression check last summer...but I can’t remember for sure what it was. I wanna say somewhere around 180 but could be wrong. But it has a lot of bubbles in the radiator and usually pushes coolant out the overflow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic