This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1961 GAS D15 ser.1 Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 GAS D15 ser.1 Radiator
    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 3:50pm
Tractor quit running a year ago and started leaking radiator fluid a couple of months ago. Can it be repaired or do I need a new radiator.

If I should decide to part it out, what might it be worth? 40 hours on new rings . Good sheet metal. Tricycle front. Does not jump out of gear. Also have three bottom plow to fit it and a 3pt adapter.
Sponsored Links

Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 4:29pm
You can take the radiator to a radiator shop and most likely they can repair it.  The tractor is worth more running.  Do you know why it stopped running?   I have parted tractors out and it is a lot of work.  The good stuff like sheet metal, gas tanks and hitch parts sell fast and then you get struck looking at what is left.   There is generally a lot of interest in D15 narrow fronts.

Edited by Larry in NC - 07 Feb 2020 at 4:30pm
KYrod View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 4:54pm
No idea...tractor was overhauled and ran well for a summer then started losing power under load (if I remember correctly). I rebuilt carb and replaced condenser, etc. Looked at distributor and that's when things went south. Parked it and bought another tractor but need to get it out of the barn.
Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 5:27pm
You have kind of the worst case situation, a tractor not-running when parked.   If you want to post a picture, I am sure members will give you input on what they think the value is.  You may even find someone close enough to be interested.   Good Luck
KYrod View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:46pm
Repair shop says $650 to recore and fix tank on this radiator. Does this sound like it's in the ball park?

1961 D15 series 1 gas.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
I have this freshly recored D15 radiator I'll sell for $500 + shipping. 

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
KYrod View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KYrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 5:22pm
Update on Radiator project:

I found a guy in English Indiana (30 minutes from Louisville) who is recoring my radiator and fixing a leaky tank for $400. He comes with good references so we'll see how this works. Says he also does a lot with antique cars.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:01pm
You made the right choice.  I get all of mine recored.  Never any problems.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic