Print Page | Close Window

Service is pretty well GONE

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Other Topics
Forum Name: Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=211584
Printed Date: 08 Oct 2026 at 10:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Service is pretty well GONE
Posted By: DMiller
Subject: Service is pretty well GONE
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2026 at 12:34pm
Been to several dealers over Recalls or Warranty work and can unequivocally state there is NO Service departments worth their salt anymore.  Are a few independent garages that I do trust for work I Cannot perform as not going to buy Thousands of Dollars in repair Tech Equipment that obsoletes as fast as the machines.  Know all too many cannot get tractors, trucks, cars repaired as not enough staff, machines sitting, in barns or in dealer yards.

Cannot see buying anything to replace my old worn cripples any time soon.



Replies:
Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2026 at 2:20pm
That's why the newest thing I own is a 1989. I can still get any parts I've ever needed and I can still do all the work myself. 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY


Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2026 at 8:04pm
Had a small local shop do some work for me - part of it on brakes and then fuel pump problem - got the bill on that and when problem started - pump was close to $400 but part that got me was dropping the fuel tank - said had to drain it first so syphoned it out into containers 30 gallons - dropped tank new pump and poured fuel back into tank . 
 2 hours labor on removing fuel and putting it back $250 - new straps to mount tank $60 and 1.5 hours for dropping tank and reinstall $180 
I told them since bed of truck had rust hole just cut opening into bed to replace pump as fuel lines I had replaced a while back with high pressure hose .
 Cheaper than dealer ??? 
Seems shop rates are beyond fair and mechanics pay only gets a small part . 
But now the special tools and test equipment prevents one from doing own repairs 


-------------
Life lesson: If you’re being chased by a lion, you’re on a horse, to the left of you is a giraffe and on the right is a unicorn, what do you do? You stop drinking and get off the carousel.


Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2026 at 8:09pm
I'm fortunate to have a one man operation within walking distance.He used to work for a local shop, but owner retired, so he's on his own,out of a gravel floored  'leanto ' ! GREAT mechanic, fair prices...just wants to pay his bills and be happy ! He's less than 1/2 the 'big' shop and spends time talking to you about 'options'.

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net