This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment -Knowledge Base
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanical Power Director adjustment video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical Power Director adjustment video
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:08am
I know this topic is asked about alot, and its hard to explain so I hope this video helps out...not really complicated. I will apologize right off by saying I am not the worlds best camer man and I am not the best public speaker in the world so if I mumble or babble....sorry.
This is the process I use and it hasnt lead me astray yet.....HTH
Maybe if you we had  a  How-to section this wuld be the format for the videos???

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHuIzQy8xK4?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[TUBE]BHuIzQy8xK4[/TUBE]

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:27am
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it and post it. 

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 21 Jun 2018 at 7:31pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:49am
Excellent video Don, you should be in teaching. 
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 8:28am
Don you did a good job showing how to setup of the power director.
All you guys with a "D" tractor need to save this one in favorites,
I did thanks.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:13am
Great job!!! I learned more in 7 minutes than I did in a long time!!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 11:48am
That was excellant. Don, my hat is off to you. A superb lesson for us students of orange. Thanks Tracy Martin
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 12:15pm
Don, sure do appreciate that vid!! Sheds major light on this!

If I ever need to break into the PD clutch pack, I will be reviewing this first!

Thanks again!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 12:17pm
Does the .205" stack up, that you mentioned, apply to all D series tractors with PD?
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Don(MI) Don(MI) wrote:

Does the .205" stack up, that you mentioned, apply to all D series tractors with PD?
Yes
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:30pm
Thanks Don. You did an excellent job of that.  I don't see how it could have been any better.  Clear and concise  and much better than reading the manual.  I do have one question.     Are the shims in all of the mechanical power directors the same?   When I adjusted my D-14 a while back I got advice here and from a manual and I THOUGHT it said just to remove shims as needed from the clutch packs and add them to the center section.  That's what I did and it worked fine but you are saying that the center section shims are different so I'm guessing what I did was wrong and I should have gotten some center section shims from somewhere
to add in to make up for what I took out of the clutch packs.  Is that right?  If so where ca I get center section shims.  Sounds like I need to redo mine.  Or is it possible that the D-14 didn't use those longer center section shims. 

Thanks!

Charlie
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:59pm
Don: Excellent video!!!  You did a super nice  job.  As was said above I learned so much good information from this.  Heck, the shimming and adjustment is explained here in much more detail than the service manuals.   

You, like many others should pursue a career in teaching.  Sometimes one must see and read to understand.  

Keep up the great work, and certainly appreciate the excellent video.  Many thanks!
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:46pm
  Very good explanation, Don !That is pretty much how Don explained it to me a year ago. I did my D17, as he explained in his video...But do it IN the tractor with feeler gauges [ all I could find to work in the space provided ] , after someone has been in there previously, well I 'm glad there was no camera with sound, woulda been only for mature audiences  only........ It may not  always be as easy as Don makes it look  .

I have a good assortment of shims  for D17 I'd sell , if interested  send a PM
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:50am
Shims are avaliable from AGCO in .010 and .015. Long shims are avalaible also in .005. You can always get a .005 adjustement by removing one an adding another....ie if you need to remove .005 from a clutch pack take a .015 out and put a .010 in its place. you would then take  a.010 out of your center stack an add a .015......
Yes the center shims are supposed to be longer (on all models of tractors) as they provide support for the center plates although i have see short shims in this location before......but technically its not correct although I dont know as if it would hurt anything.
Biggest mistake made when setting these up is people dont know to maintain the .205 dimension....most farmers would remove shims from the clutch pack to account for wear, but not add that thickness to the center stack.......from my vid you can see this is a no-no

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:52am
Gary is also correct on doing it in the tractor.....my vid shows "ideal" conditions as I had it out anyway....but to adjust working through the small hole in the side.....can make a guy invent some new words

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:58am
Thanks Don.  I didn't measure mine.  I made the assumption (right or wrong) that it had all the original shims in it.  I just moved shims from the clutch packs to the center section.
It was a couple of years ago when I did it but I believe that all the shims in mine were the same, smaller length so I guess someone had it apart before and removed the long ones. Of course it wouldn't be the first time my memory failed me.  Anyway it worked fine after the adjustment, not perfectly but much better than before and I think the rest of the problem was in the rollers you mentioned.  By the way I did the adjustment through the inspection plate so I know what you mean about the choice words.  However after I got the hang of it, it wasn't so bad.  You just have to make ##$%^$^&** sure you don't drop anything.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:23am
Don - Great video, very helpful. I need to do this to a D-14 and had read the manual. While I understood the concept, your video cleared up some questions I had. Thanks much.
tominMi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominMi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:17am
Don,
Thanks for a great job on this subject. It's been said " a picture is worth a thousand words ". Your video is all of that & more.
My D-14 creeps in neutral and after completing all the external clutch adjustments in the manual  the problem remains. Your video illustrates the adjustment procedure very well and has cleared up questions I had.  I'll go at this with more confidence having seen your video.
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic