This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford FE intake: Iron vs Aluminum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Make sure the 4 barrel carb has the stuff for the kick down from the transmission to attach to, my son put a 4 barrel on my 1975 and it didn't have the brackets for the kick down. It's not problem for me because I don't need any extra for pulling.

No kickdown linkage needed with manual trans. There's likely enough used manifolds out there for an FE that you shouldn't have to buy new. Edelbrock, Weiand, Holley, Offenhauser all offered a nice dual plane street manifold for the FE. The AFB Edelbrock carbs would probably work just fine, in 600 cfm, (1406?), though I do prefer Holley style carbs. I'd look into getting a carb from Riley's Rebuilds if I was looking to get an AFB. Put a nice mild hyd cam in it, and time it with cam advanced, it will run like gang busters. The 4.11 might not be a bad thing since this is a 250 with 16" tires. I've forgotten more about FE's than I remember lol! Still have one in my 67 Mustang!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Sponsored Links

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 5:29pm
Get whatever carb you want. Lots of choice there but stick to vacuum secondary for your application!!!!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Make sure the 4 barrel carb has the stuff for the kick down from the transmission to attach to, my son put a 4 barrel on my 1975 and it didn't have the brackets for the kick down. It's not problem for me because I don't need any extra for pulling.

There's likely enough used manifolds out there for an FE that you shouldn't have to buy new. Edelbrock, Weiand, Holley, Offenhauser all offered a nice dual plane street manifold for the FE.

Suppose a guy found a like-new Offenhauser for slightly less than the price of a new Edelbrock. Both dual plane aluminum intakes. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Or with the Offenhauser are you just paying for a name?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Get whatever carb you want. Lots of choice there but stick to vacuum secondary for your application!!!!

Will do!
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 7:21am
I have never used Offenhauser intake but have certainly heard lots about them.  I would go for it. Vintage on vintage. Makes for great stories in the shop. Smile
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:23am
Could someone tell me what the tube coming out of the right front of the manifold is for? None of the new ones I’ve seen have that. At first I thought an oil fill tube but since I haven’t had my manifold off yet, I don’t know where it would lead to if that’s the case.
Also, why is there a notch machined out of the divider between the plenums?
Last question…there is a hole at the back end of manifold with two bolt holes. No other FE manifold I’ve seen has had that hole. Looks like where the thermostat housing would go on a GM. Since GM has the distributor at the opposite end of the thermostat, could it be possible this isn’t an FE intake?

Edited by CrestonM - 01 Dec 2022 at 9:30am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:54am
Most definitely an FE intake. I have the dual quad version of that. I made a block off plate for the rear opening as the oil fill is in the valve cover. Mine does not have the tube in front
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:17pm
Does it still have the thermostat location on the front?
I’m just wondering if that’s some kind of marine setup?
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:52pm
Yes thermostat is in the front facing forward with an L shaped housing. In photos I've seen the tube is the oil fill. My cast iron manifold for the 68 does not have this fill tube. The Offy dual quad I have has the opening for a fill tube but I don't have the tube. The big opening in the back opens directly to the lifter valley. I don't know what would go there and I can't find literature that shows it. That's why I made the block off plate
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:45am
Creston, is that a 'dual port' manifold? They had a divider in the runners. I believe the thinking was to keep the velocity high. Kind of unique. That would make a good intake for what you're doing. Ford buddy of mine growing up had one on a 429 C.J. He also had a 427 tunnel port that I drooled on a time or two. He still has the 429, it's in a '70 Torino Cobra. The tunnel port is long since gone.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:47am
rear opening is for earlier FE engines, that used a road draft tube for crankcase ventilation. They also used the tube oil fill in front like pictured. The tube can be removed and a plug installed, and a block off plate put on the rear opening. The FE went through a lot of minor changes in it's multi decade run. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 12:56pm
Those Dual Port 360 manifolds were supposedly the thing for fuel economy for light driving and still give flow when you stomp on it. They came out after the Arab oil embargos of the late 70s early 80s. The small ports were for the primary barrels. I put one on my 75 P/U with a Thermoquad on it.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 9:26pm
If you are using that intake you will need an adaptor plate to use Quadrajet style carb (small primaries and big secondaries). Those adaptors are maybe an inch thick or a bit less. You have lots of room on a truck so should have lots of hood room. The extra height will give you a few extra ponies on the dyno so a win win deal. Holley square bore will bolt right on.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 8:45am
Let us know what you end up doing. Should make a nice little work truck for you.Smile
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 6:25pm
Will do! Christmas and other stuff going on right now kinda has me sidetracked for a bit, but I'll update as I go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic