This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 power director safety.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 power director safety.
    Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Some really famous cowboys mounted from the rear. I'm jus sayin.....

Ha, Ha!!!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:58pm
Some really famous cowboys mounted from the rear. I'm jus sayin.....
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 3:51pm
Just like a horse, get on from the left side.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 1:21pm
Truckerfarmer:  I agree.  I have never even thought of getting off the tractor on that side after owning my D-17 Series IV for over 12 years now.  It always seemed backwards to even think about getting on or off on that side.
Krazy Karl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 6:18am
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

To me it just seems easier and safer to just get on from the left side, the way it was designed.
Do you climb into your vehicle on the passenger side and try to climb around the shifter.
Common sense goes a long ways.

If have a loader with the loader controls on left side damn near impossible to get through.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 6:46am
To me it just seems easier and safer to just get on from the left side, the way it was designed.
Do you climb into your vehicle on the passenger side and try to climb around the shifter.
Common sense goes a long ways.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 6:02am
Interesting how from the very late 1950's until now how a safety issue was dealt with. The operator was clearly at fault by not having the transmission shifted into neutral. Allis was somewhat at fault by not having a thumb guard on the lever to begin with.  There was no massive recall to replace every hand lever without,  to one with a thumb guard. Life just went on.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 4:30am
Far easier and safer to shift the tractor into N, set the parking brake, before getting off the tractor...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Leadoff Leadoff wrote:

allischalmerguy

A pic of a D19 Power Director/Hand Clutch Lever for sale on eBay.  Several views.  Not sure if D15/D19 are same size as D17.

Thanks Leadoff,   

I bought it. Dr. Allis said it should fit my D17 ok if it is from a D19.
Thanks much
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:41pm
Guys thanks for bringing back a memory. I knew there was a difference between my series 4 and dads early 17. I've been racking my brain trying to remember what was different about those 2 levers.    It was one of dang things that bugged me.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:22pm
allischalmerguy

A pic of a D19 Power Director/Hand Clutch Lever for sale on eBay.  Several views.  Not sure if D15/D19 are same size as D17.

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Leadoff Leadoff wrote:

allischalmerguy

The later model D17, D15, D19 tractors were fitted with the upgraded power director/hand clutch lever.  Swapping out your D17 Series I lever would seem to be the way to go.  Some of the AC suppliers that sponsor this Forum would probably be able to source the part. Or you can probably source thru regular used like eBay etc

The upgraded levers had a built up two sided rectangular protective barrier on the front and right side of the button area, a bit higher than the top of the button on the lever.  Intended to prevent the unfortunate incident from reoccurring

Thanks so much Leadoff.
Mike
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I assume that's when the push button in the lever came into being.....got to push it down to move the lever.

I don't think so. The push button would not be good if your coat caught it?
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:13pm
allischalmerguy

The later model D17, D15, D19 tractors were fitted with the upgraded power director/hand clutch lever.  Swapping out your D17 Series I lever would seem to be the way to go.  Some of the AC suppliers that sponsor this Forum would probably be able to source the part. Or you can probably source thru regular used like eBay etc

The upgraded levers had a built up two sided rectangular protective barrier on the front and right side of the button area, a bit higher than the top of the button on the lever.  Intended to prevent the unfortunate incident from reoccurring

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:05pm

As far as I remember, the 'push button' has been there since day one, 1957, D-14 and D-17. But it didn't have any guard around the button.

When the D-15 came out in 1960, replacing the D-14, the thumb guard around the button was one of the changes.

G
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:50pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:49pm
I assume that's when the push button in the lever came into being.....got to push it down to move the lever.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 8:28pm
I read in Jim's good article on the history of the D17 in Old Allis news about the lady that got killed when her coat caught the power director when she got off on that side of the tractor and it prompted AC to build something to put on the power director so it would not happen again. Several questions since I would like to put one on my series 1 D17 that does not have it.
1. What is the part or part number?

2. Is it still available?

3. Is it hard to pup on?

4. Where can I get one?

Thanks
Mike Townsley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic