This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tofurkey ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tofurkey ??
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:24pm
Our local morning news had a "snippet" on an upcoming trend in the local grocery stores, Tofurkey purchases are up 20% from last year ?? I'll be the first to admit that I refuse to eat turkey (real) for any type of menu item, but I might have to hold my nostrils closed to choke it down before bowing down to the tofu clientele Wink
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:28pm
Ok, I'll bite..why don't you eat turkey ? Jes curious..., NOT a meat eater ? Are you 'chicken' only??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:43pm
I'm not a huge fan of chicken either, I might do KFC original recipe 3 times a year, poultry is too dry for my palate in general, regardless of white/dark meat and turkey is WAY too greasy/slimy on the dark meat side and the white meat to me is EXACTLY like the turkey at the Grisswald (Xmas Vacation) Xmas dinner WinkWink. It's ham for me on turkey day Smile!! I was just surprised at the Tofurkey uptake Confused.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:49am
It appears you have never eaten properly prepared turkey.  I always eat white meat, and if it is too dry, it gets gravy.  The stuffing and mashed tators et gravy as well. 

I've never had smoked turkey so I ordered one from MO. this year.  I am looking forward to Tday!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:50am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of chicken either, I might do KFC original recipe 3 times a year, poultry is too dry for my palate in general, regardless of white/dark meat and turkey is WAY too greasy/slimy on the dark meat side and the white meat to me is EXACTLY like the turkey at the Grisswald (Xmas Vacation) Xmas dinner WinkWink. It's ham for me on turkey day Smile!! I was just surprised at the Tofurkey uptake Confused.

If it's dry,  fire the cook! We all know what your palate is based onWink.  Anyway try this one...

LOLLOLLOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:44am
a dry bird means it was cooked to death and then some !!!
Fill a bird with homemade stuffing,into a 325F oven for 20 minutes a pound,remove bird to rest, use the potato water to make gravy in the bird pan,when gravie's made, carve up the bird and enjoy.
I've only done it this way for 33 years(1/2 my life...all my married life...) twice a year, Christmas and Thanskgiving, and have never,EVER had a dry bird or a guest complain.
even the 'contractor' like it !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:14am
"Everybody Loves Raymond" had a show about Marie making tofu-turkey for Thanksgiving and of course everybody had a fit with Frank getting his hits in,  very funny. 
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:25am
You were probably eating possum and they told you it was turkey.
Brother in law hated quail for some reason. I got a bunch I was going to cook up and had him and my sister over. Told him they were Cornish game hens. He was loving it till he bit into some shot.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:25am
I split one in half and did them in my smoker.

Came out real tasty.

Way above possum grade.  LOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:51am
If he wants greasy, he should try racoon !  .............. maybe muskrat ! Wink

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
i'm either gonna do a turkey in the smoker, or prime rib roast in the oil cooker. i love turkey/chicky/beef/pork/buffalo/game birds, i'm not much of a fan of coon tho...to greasy.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:16am
oh...ad rattle snake to the "i like" list above too!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:58pm
I cant eat cooked eggs, they totally stink, can't eat chicken, it also totally stinks. This comes from being served GREEN chicken and eggs in the army mess halls of the late 60's. Actually were green, not from spices or other flavorings. I was lucky, Thanksgiving day I was standing directly behind the brigade Sargent major. When those cooks piled that slop on his tray, he stopped looked at it and ask "where's the mess Sargent"? They found him asleep in the store room. The very next morning we had a whole new batch of cooks and a decent mess hall. Ain't been able to eat them since.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:08pm
John, if the turkey is smoked properly you will love it. I am doing some Cajun smoked turkey, smoking 3 on Wednesday and then 3 more on Friday.  I think I sent some fella that lives out in the desert my recipe for smoking one a few years ago and it turned out okay. I like fried turkey also but unless you are doing several the cost per turkey on cooking oil is a bit expensive. Fried is good if you eat it right away, smoked turkey is good right off the smoker and still good several days later also. 

DiyDave, that recipe sounds good. The beer should add some good moisture.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:41pm
Freedguy not to turn this political but there is a bunch of better than all us working folks, politicians that want us to eat tofu regular to save the planet.  Just do some thinking on who want more control of your life, giving less things to choose. 

But I do agree that turkey is not the end all in food to be thankful for. But hay we all need to suffer a bit and many think turkey is Thanksgiving. So my wife started doing beef rib roast for Christmas. But that brings all the long lost "stockholders" to my dinner table for Christmas. So I shot myself in the foot on that one, surve the cheap turkey when the table is full. Save the good stuff so I get more leftovers. 
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm
Hey come on now.  When i was on that all expense paid vacation in sunny southeast asia, I kinda got used to some green tint in those scrambled eggs.  hey it was that or nutin.

BTW, I have never heard of green chicken. Guess i led a sheltered life on that adventure.  Confused
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jeff-in-Kunkletown View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff-in-Kunkletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm
No turkey for me either. Or chicken duck or even eggs. I'm sure I'd like it bit was born with a weird food allergy.
Sucess is how high you bounce after hitting bottom. Gen. George S. Patton
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:16am
trying to figger out what made them green?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:42am
The green eggs in the Army in the old days were powdered eggs I beleive.
  I love smoked turkey and it's good cold also.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:32am
you are right tadems.

as I foggily recall they were basically yellow.  However if the powder didn't get mixed thoroughly, the thick spots showed up kinda greenish.

Steve, it has been more than a few decades but I still remember reading that book seemed like a zillion times.  Smile

Edited by Dave H - 23 Nov 2020 at 11:35am
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Freedguy not to turn this political but there is a bunch of better than all us working folks, politicians that want us to eat tofu regular to save the planet.  Just do some thinking on who want more control of your life, giving less things to choose. 

But I do agree that turkey is not the end all in food to be thankful for. But hay we all need to suffer a bit and many think turkey is Thanksgiving. So my wife started doing beef rib roast for Christmas. But that brings all the long lost "stockholders" to my dinner table for Christmas. So I shot myself in the foot on that one, surve the cheap turkey when the table is full. Save the good stuff so I get more leftovers. 
Ray, that was "sort of" my jist, who came up with TOFU anyhow Confused ?? My thoughts were towards the producers of REAL birds that "might" be SOL if the trend towards "FU" crap continues Cry
I'll leave this question to the " always quoting internet facts" STEVE, how's the "IMPOSSIBLE WHOPPER" doing at BK ?? No, I'm not going to look it up, NOR have I ever had one (knowingly Ouch).
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Ray, that was "sort of" my jist, who came up with TOFU anyhow Confused ?? My thoughts were towards the producers of REAL birds that "might" be SOL if the trend towards "FU" crap continues Cry
I'll leave this question to the " always quoting internet facts" STEVE, how's the "IMPOSSIBLE WHOPPER" doing at BK ?? No, I'm not going to look it up, NOR have I ever had one (knowingly Beer).

Fixed it, fer ya...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:00pm
You fixed nothing DA D Big smile. Thanks though for a worthless reply ClapClap
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:42pm
Kinda like jaybmiller, I've been having tofu turkey every year for the past 24 years. Never had a Thanksgiving without one.
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic