This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to remove old grain bins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to remove old grain bins
    Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:00am
Have two of them at the farm. One is 3,000 bus, 60 years old....floor rotted out. Other is newer (50 years old), 5000 bushel drying bin with all the equipment. Neither has been used in 10 years and likely never will be.

Do they have value beyond scrap metal price?

Hire Amish to pull them down, or ??????
Sponsored Links

Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:07am
What part of MO are you in? I'm in the SW part of the state and know some people looking for useable smaller bins. Also have a neighbor that takes them down and resells to the people who want backyard grain-zebos or whatever else they build with them. I can put you in touch with either set...
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm
I have not led an entirely sheltered life, and had heard of some things that had been done with old grain bins, but not the gazebos. That might actually be a perfect fit for the old bin......that currently has 3 RV's parked next to it, tethered to the same outlets that had been used for the fan motors.

Anyway, bins are located about 30 miles north of Marshall in north central part of the state. Will keep this in mind if we decide we want them gone. Good to know there is somebody looking for them.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm
yep...they use them for gazebos and kids play houses and tool sheds and covers over fire pits and small garages for mowers/atv's/golf carts and if cut in half tall wise and put on skids or short walls they make great hog/livestock huts and other uses, don't destroy them
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
WE had thought about moving two rings and top of a 16 ft diameter, up to the wooded area and use as a deer blind / weekend camping cabin.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 3:29pm
HI all we have a old grain bin at our field days site that has been turned into a bar . 
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 3:56pm
I think KIWI has the PLAN !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm
I Concur!!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Kiwi Kiwi wrote:

HI all we have a old grain bin at our field days site that has been turned into a bar . 
    The real question here is, do you serve Vegemite finger snacks along with the drinks?
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
If they were still good bins get a cone bottom and put them 16 feet in the air next to a grain leg for fast overhead loading of trucks.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 6:18am
re: best way to remove....
 Sell them and the new buyer has to remove them ! That way you can sit back, enjoy the  'show' as they take them down ! And they're paying YOU to watch !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
I have taken two 1100 bushel bins down with a sawz all.  Start at the top and just zip it into sections
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:45pm
Insure them for thousands of dollars and order up one of those derechos!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 10:14pm
There only valuable after you give them away. Seems like after you get rid of something you find someone wanting it for good money
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:35pm
i've hauled several on lowboy trailers all in one piece in the upright position. just gotta pick your routes when you haul them. to load them...just blue tooled the bolts off, put 2 skid loaders with forks, one on each side, lifted, backed low boy under them and set them down, tied them down and off we went. hauled 1100 bu, 4000 bu, and a 6000 bu that way. i made several holders that attached to the inside on the bolts already there, cris/crossed chains inside and fastened them down. if you have a small bin, put a jib inside a loader bucket (for reach) and hook a chain onto a pipe that is put down thru a wheel/tire that is bigger than the fill hole on top. bring the wheel up tight inside the fill hole and lift...the roof will support the rest of the bin. can carry it that way or set it on a truck/trailer  
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 11:41am
I used to take them down with this!

Edited by ac fleet - 22 Sep 2020 at 11:42am
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:14pm
They don't have any value. Unless your time is free as scrap they aren't worth taking down. The scrappers around here charge to haul them away. I've taken a dozen down and used as garden circles for a few people set a couple up for calf shelters just use 2 rings and roof set them up on skids about 6" off the ground tow them around with the tractor to move. Never have to clean them just two to another spot. It takes 3 guys a couple hours to take one down. I have bin Jack's so it goes pretty fast. If there real old you'll need an 8 point socket always use an impact driver we can usually get 95% of the screws out that way and just angle grinder to cut the rest. I keep getting more bins offered than I can use.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:00pm
I saw one a couple months ago that a couple are finishing the interior into a home.
If I remember right, he said that it was a 30,000 bu. one.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:04pm
Mom had hers taken down by an Amish or Mennonite couple. Dont know which. Dont know what they did with them. Dryer had never been used.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
raised veggie beds, kids play houses, the ear corn bins work well for poultry pens or for other animals too. one ring and a plastic liner for livestock waterers (they still sell these to ranchers), temp storage for grain (inside/outside a building), garages, many, many uses, just takes imagination,   
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:52am
I'm thinking sheds to park all of your tractors in.  As was previously mentioned.  Cut them in half and turn them up on edge.  Might also be nice for storing round bales in.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 9:51am
And then there comes the wind!!!LOL!! --I know a guy that cut some in half and parked his stuff under them----big storm one night----found the remains 4 miles across the county! lol!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

And then there comes the wind!!!LOL!! --I know a guy that cut some in half and parked his stuff under them----big storm one night----found the remains 4 miles across the county! lol!
Dead man anchors should solve that without to much trouble, or expense. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:27pm
also make good livestock shelters
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:58am
if you cut a 3000 bushel bin in half your not parking anything bigger than a lawn mower in it those things are small. you can lift one up and put on a flatbed trailer.  I've moved a couple just lift with bin jacks back the Donahue under it strap down and drive away. if you open the door up to 1 sheet wide and lower to 2 ring high they make a great calf shelter
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:13am
Here ya go!

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Here ya go!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Kimberlibre Kimberlibre wrote:

Grain bins represent the life of many rural communities. Grain bins are a way of telling how good a farmer thinks the future of agriculture is likely to be. If he's letting them go to pot, he reckons he won't be in business much longer. I would suggest to get more informed here https://www.186needabin.com/service-areas/bin-rental-toronto/ on this topic and I'm sure these guys will help you great. Because of a low price you will get the highest level of service.

SPAM REPORTED!
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Simplysanders View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simplysanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 5:02pm
How big of bins do they take down? I have 3 large Harvestore bins in Rogersville I need to get rid of. In great shape.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 5:46pm
Realistically they should be taken down as they were constructed, jack up remove rings lower and remove next set reset jacks repeat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic