This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vakve spring compressor tool,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vakve spring compressor tool,,,,,,
    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:06am

G' Mornin to all,,,it time to get up,,,,,,,Wink
 I have what I think is a chinese  valve spring compressor tool that flat refuses to compress the valve springs on this 454 I'm building. I struggled with this sob taking em off and made up my mind I'm gonna "nodify" this tool with a 24" cheater,,if I can figure out a way,,,,Wink
  What I would really want is to modify the handle that you use to compress the spring to where the handle goes OVER the main frame of the tool,where you are compressing DOWN onto the tool,,,,?
 I remember using one built like that years ago and the amount of leverage was amazing!!  All the ones built these days have the compression handle on the back with only about a 6" handle. The one I remember had a handle almost the same length as the whole tool length. I think it was a Craftsman but not sure.
 I googled Proto, Mac-tools, S&K, Snap-On and ain't fount what I'm lookin for,,,,  Anybody got one that can post a pic for me,,?? Please,,,,,??Clap
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:17am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDMeOOlczQ

Proform 66784 Valve Spring Compressor

Edited by WF owner - 21 Jun 2020 at 10:19am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:29am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:44am
We used to use two screwdrivers.  One guy pushes down on the valve spring and someone else removes the keepers.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:54am
Joe probably doesn't have another guy in his tool box. Wink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 2:04pm
Good luck Joe, you're gonna PAY for a good one.  I'm glad I've still got mine from back in the 60's.  I don't even know who made it, but it is like you describe.  I'll keep my eyes open at auctions this summer and fall for you.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 2:43pm
Maybe I'm just young and stupid but what are vakve springs??
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
An engine part on the USS Federation Enterprise NCC 1701. Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 21 Jun 2020 at 3:47pm
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:50pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:14pm
Trick is to give all the retainers a light tap on a little angle before you try to remove themWink
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 8:08pm
Was just thinking of when I replaced the valve seals on my 65 -Olds 400 engine in my 442 . Did it with a compressed air fitting into spark plug hole and a handle that fit over rocker stud , compress spring , remove keepers , remove the retainer plate on spring , then remove spring and install new valve seals , revers operation and move to next valve . All 16 done in about 2 hours time and didn't drop one valve into engine .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm

Well,,I DID find one like I was talkin bout on the link ole Chask posted,,(Thet guy can find anything can't he?)  and was able to find an OLD craftsman on Ebay but it is for bid and still has 3 days to complete. I also seen one listed as "HEAVY DUTY" that looks like a BIG glorified "C" clamp that just has a long all thread with a T handle to tighten up on the valve spring. Jeeeze,,all that engineering for only $242,,!! I might could modify one of my "C" clamps and drive the all thread with an impact,,,?
  I do not do any more major overhauls for people because of not having the proper tools,,,this outa teach me a lesson,,!!WinkWink
 OH,, and Tyler that is "valve" ,,,,LOL kinda like the Prez's covfkee,,,,,LOL
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:59pm
Hey Joe...I got a couple..you want me put them in a box and send them to ya??? You can try them out see what ya like...get the job done and when you are finished....send them back...hate to see an old gear head stuck....I will toss you a line and pull ya out😁😇

Ocharry
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:20pm

OCHARRY,,,You is just the greatest,,,and don't listen to what ole Shameless tells you,,,,sent you a PM so he don't know what we is discussin,,,,,WinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:43am
Oil Can Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:41am
aaawwww shucks fellers Embarrassed

ocharry
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
 I also seen one listed as "HEAVY DUTY" that looks like a BIG glorified "C" clamp that just has a long all thread with a T handle to tighten up on the valve spring. Jeeeze,,all that engineering for only $242,,!! I might could modify one of my "C" clamps and drive the all thread with an impact,,,?

I cut a "C" out of 1/4 inch plate and welded a nut on one end.. Got a 8 inch long 1/2 inch all thread for the  adjuster and welded a handle on it.......... looks like a light duty C clamp.. been using that for 40 years.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 11:21am
WHEEEEW WEEE,,,,dang i went out to git thet stuff ready to go,,,,no box,,,,,so i rapped it up in a feed sack,,,used some of my best masking tape and wrote this here is a goin to ol Joe down in NM,,,,didnt know we had us a state named thet but thets wher he said to send her so,,,,,then the car wont start,,,,so i gits on ol alice and she says NOPE I AINT A GOIN TO TOWN,,,welll what the heck has your panties all twisted,,,,,,,,,so i gits on the wheeler,,,it ran outa gas,,,,,so then i gits in the ranger,,,dang battery is dead,,,,,awwwww what the he,,,heck,,,so i jest went ta walkin,,,,cuzz i know ol joe is a needen me ta pull through fer him,,,,,and what do ya think,,,,it kuma rain like i aint never seen,,,good thing them feed sacks is plastic coated

so i gits to the post office and the lady is a yellin at me fer gittin her floor all wet,,,,now just hold on thar lady i says,,,,this here package is a going to ol joe over in NM and i bin bustin it ta git here afor ya close so can we mail this and git it on the way,,,,,well she finally shut up about the floor,,,and says,,," oh so your a payin customer" and then kinda giggles ,,,,what the hay,,,come on over here big boy,,,,,wow nelly

then she turnt sour agin and said you cant mail that packaged up like that,,,,so i give her the ol sob story and told her it all i gots mam,,,bein al polite and all,,,finally she let it go

i tell ya,,,and then you wont believe what happened on the way home,,,,,,dang if it didnt start a rainin agin,,,and then i got run off the road and went in a ditch,,,,tore a hole in my tenirunner ,,,,wheeew i am galed but,,, am i glad ta be home

so there ya go joe,,,,stuff is in the wind

yur pal

ocharry

ps

ifin ya wants the trackin number i will PM it to ya,,,,dang thing must be 35 numbers,,,and this here number pad only goes up ta 9,,,,so i will give it a try ifin ya wants it,,,,,Wink

ocharry,,,,agin
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Now that's about the tallest long tale I've heard in a while.
If'n ya didn't send em both to ole Joe, ya can send me one.  I'd like to have a spare.  I'll send it back when ole Joe tells me to.
I never had any luck sending silver packages thru the mail and especially to Nude Mexico.  Just sumthin about silver packages out there.  They just get lost...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 3:53pm
When I first saw that picture, I thought it was a wine bottle Corker. I been working on engines all me life and never saw 1 like that. Hoping ya finds a good 1.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 5:08pm
Here's a song for ya Oil Can.

[TUBE]PYIrs1Dx4Ck[/TUBE]
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:11pm
well fellers i wasa gona send sum missery rocks over to ol joe in thet box but i got ta figerin on it and i figered these missery rocks and them NM rocks might not git along,,,,so i didnt send any ,,,,,but i will ifin you wants sum joe,,,,gots plenty of um

i sent 3 differnt spring compresers ,,,,you can see what one wurks best fer ya joe,,,,i kinda like the one with the screw ,,,you will see how it wurks when ya gits it,,,its had a lot of RAT springs off ,,,,clamps on srew it down ,,,give it a little whack and poof,,,you will see

now TEDDY that is pertnere ZACKLY how it happend ,,,,pertnere,,,i say,,,,aint now tall long winded stuff goin on 

thet is the purdiest song i ever heared ,,,,thanks much,,,it made the day 

and thats my story,,,,im stickin to it too

ocharry
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm
awwww i love at song,,,lol,,,,one of the great ones

play it agin sam!!!

ocharry
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:33am

"Oil Can",,,huh,,,??? HMMMmmmm thas a cute one,,,but I think I like Ocharry more better,,,won't nobody ever be able to copy that one,,,,,,ClapClap

And,,,and,,,I don't need no more rocks,,Thank  you I gots a pretty good rock growin farm as it is,,,that and them dang Goat Heads,,,Ya wants some of them,,,,??? They is gauranteed to grow and multiply faster than diahrria,,,,LOL
 I'll take good care of them tools,,,and if you don't want em back,,,I'll still take good care of em,,,,,,,,LOLWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:35am
Originally posted by ocharry ocharry wrote:

WHEEEEW WEEE,,,,dang i went out to git thet stuff ready to go,,,,no box,,,,,so i rapped it up in a feed sack,,,used some of my best masking tape and wrote this here is a goin to ol Joe down in NM,,,,didnt know we had us a state named thet but thets wher he said to send her so,,,,,then the car wont start,,,,so i gits on ol alice and she says NOPE I AINT A GOIN TO TOWN,,,welll what the heck has your panties all twisted,,,,,,,,,so i gits on the wheeler,,,it ran outa gas,,,,,so then i gits in the ranger,,,dang battery is dead,,,,,awwwww what the he,,,heck,,,so i jest went ta walkin,,,,cuzz i know ol joe is a needen me ta pull through fer him,,,,,and what do ya think,,,,it kuma rain like i aint never seen,,,good thing them feed sacks is plastic coated

so i gits to the post office and the lady is a yellin at me fer gittin her floor all wet,,,,now just hold on thar lady i says,,,,this here package is a going to ol joe over in NM and i bin bustin it ta git here afor ya close so can we mail this and git it on the way,,,,,well she finally shut up about the floor,,,and says,,," oh so your a payin customer" and then kinda giggles ,,,,what the hay,,,come on over here big boy,,,,,wow nelly

then she turnt sour agin and said you cant mail that packaged up like that,,,,so i give her the ol sob story and told her it all i gots mam,,,bein al polite and all,,,finally she let it go

i tell ya,,,and then you wont believe what happened on the way home,,,,,,dang if it didnt start a rainin agin,,,and then i got run off the road and went in a ditch,,,,tore a hole in my tenirunner ,,,,wheeew i am galed but,,, am i glad ta be home

so there ya go joe,,,,stuff is in the wind

yur pal

ocharry

ps

ifin ya wants the trackin number i will PM it to ya,,,,dang thing must be 35 numbers,,,and this here number pad only goes up ta 9,,,,so i will give it a try ifin ya wants it,,,,,Wink

ocharry,,,,agin

Say,,,,,you gettin to be a pretty good story teller bout like me,,,ain't you,,,????LOLLOL
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:22am
I just seen this and thought it was pretty neat...
[TUBE]b1DmJQ4Fods[/TUBE]
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:29am
well i thank ya joe,,,but,,,nope you dont need ta be a sendin me no rocks neither,,,gots plenty of um ,,,,and fer sure no goat heads,,,,i think they is a migratin up thisa way any way,,,,i tilled one up the other day,,,i bet thet dang thing weighed 30 pond,,,,

STORY TELLIN,,,,,well i never,,,,you and TEDDY been talkin ahind my back,,thats kinda the same thing he said yestady,,,,,i mighta stretched it a mite,,,,just fer efect,,,,but i will rase my hand up,,,,not to high,,,maybe about to the bottom of my ear,,,,and tell ya that is how she happened ,,,fer the most part,,,,still typin so thats gotabe wort sumpin,,,no lightenin,,,yit any ways

heck joe i knows ya will take good care of thet stuff or i wouldnta sent it over to ya,,,i aint worried none,,,,take yer time and when yer done send them home,,,,no worries,,,and fer sure no hurries,,,ahaahhahaa,,,i made a funny,,,i doubt i will be needin thet stuff anytime soon,,,,lol

i am kinda gittin the feelin you fellers ait believin my account a what happined yestady,,,,hmmmm,,,,now i know the trip home was kinda short soundin,,,,i only just hylited thet thar ,,,,but i told the whole shebang about the trip over thar,,,,well pertnere

ocharry

Edited by ocharry - 23 Jun 2020 at 9:34am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 2:02am

Well,,,I got home from the mountains kinda late yesterday and had a heavy package waitin for me on the porch,,,,,HMMmmmmm???
 Opened her up and ,,,,and,,,I'ma tell you,,,ole Ocharry can go to work for the USPS, or UPS or Fed-Ex ,,,,he gots packagin  Talents like I ain't ever seen before,,,,!!!!
 There was 3 separate tools and each item triple wrapped in good grade paper,,,( NO SEARS CATALOG PAPER HERE) ( OR WALMART SACKS) and then the whole shebang wrapped in still more paper,,!!!  There just ain't NO WAY even some of ole Shameless's Tannerite sticks could'a opened this packagin up for no reason,,!!!ClapClap Ole Ocharry,,he gots him a talent for sure,,,,
 UMMmmmmm, OCharry,,,I'll take good care of them for you,,,!!!!!
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 11:42am
awww shucks,,,wernt nuttin i tell ya,,

hey joe you gits your ol camper jacked up ok??? 

be careful ol pard,,,fur sure dont git hurt gittin her back up on them stands and leveled up

take your time with that stuff joe,,,i know you gots lots to do ,,,i aint in no hurry,,,,git that big ol rat purrin,,,,with a big throaty growl,,,,heck kinda give me goose bumps thinkin about it,,,,lol,,,ahhhh,,, the good ol days,,,,

sure hope one a them spring tools will work fur ya,,,im purdy sure one ofum will

ocharry
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:27am

Hey OCharry,, I finally got around to doin the valve springs on the RAT,,and I used the tool that clamps around the spring and just screw the big knob down and just pretty as you please compresses the spring to where installing the keepers is a snap,,,!!!Clap Got all the intakes done in bout 30 minutes,,,,sure do Thank you, my friend,,Clap
 I was gonna look at buying one of those like I talked bout or modify mine but Now think I'm gonna get one like yours,,don't take near as much effort to replace the springs.
 I "thought" you might of expressed some interest in tradin the one tool for a bag of  goat Heads,,,them be good medicine for that nasty neighbor that won't go away and,,,,SAY,,,!!  I'll bet you can sell them Goat Head seeds to ole Shameless,,,he needs something for his stockholders flower beds,,,,,you Both can thank me later,,,,,Wink
 I'm packagin them tools up now and will "slip" them seeds in thar,,,just don't let on where you got em from,,,,,LOL
 Again,,Many Thanks, Guy,,,,,!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic