This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 1:03am
Thanks guys!
That helps. Maybe size does matter and junk does accumulate!
Some updates:

Driving those nice engineered screws:

Girts getting set:

Doing what I do best, at command central!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 4:54am
Thanks for the update Chris. If any of the help gives you flack about you spending too much time at Command Central, remind them, "Rome wasn't built in a day".  LOL
Seriously, take your time and plenty of breaks especially in the heat. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2020 at 5:53am
Thanks Bob!
Folks,
So far I have been keeping up with the boys. Ok I follow them around and clean up after them! :) Plan on spending a few hours working on the skirt board or splash board system today. Pressure treated 2 x 10 on either side of the post with foam between at the bottom and then a PT 2 x 6 laid flat on top of the foam. That's the plan will see how that works.
Off to get coated deck screws for the assembly.
Girts were set with 6D ring shank galvanized nails. 
Ditch for underground power to go in today, across corner of building then out to the pole. About 130 feet, 18-24 inches deep. 3 inch conduit and a 1 inch conduit going in for powering up and the phone line.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 6:01am
Folks,
Update on the shed:
Son Eric strapping on the tool belt and helping the old man! He brought me a brand new Craftsman corded 7-1/4 inch circular saw! Awesome! Also loaning me his table saw to rip these 2 x 6's to fit in between the double skirt boards.

2 inch foam insulation is laid in the cavity between the skirt boards. then a 2 x 6.

Should make a stout base. May cap the top someday to finish the inside walls?

Also had stump removal and trenching for the new main 200 amp power disconnect to the new building.

Cut through the corner to have nice sweeping radius in the 3 inch schedule 40 conduit.

24 inch deep trench. Also put in a 1 inch for phone/ cable.

Schedule 80 10 feet up pole:

North wall will mount the main:

Nic, doing what he does best, good electrical work:

Off to help build the neighbors addition and garage today.
Thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Jul 2020 at 10:51pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:10am
Folks,
We move in fits and starts! After helping my neighbor with his garage I decided I wanted more strength in my load bearing walls above the garage doors. 12 foot span had double 2x12's. Probably way over kill but Cooper and I went and got the material to make LVL inserts for each of the three doors in the side walls. Two 14 inch deep LVL's with a 2 x 12 in the center. Will try to slip these up into the pocket and then use engineered screws to secure them and probably put in a jack stud fastened to the post.
Had to rebuild the switch on the table saw and added a new Irwin brand 10 inch blade.
 Will be doing a bunch of ripping to get the interior boards at the windows to match the post thickness of 5-1/8.
Squaring up the building next Window and door framing after that, and then some sheeting,
May get trusses next Monday.

Cooper finishing up his Dad's electrical work:

Here he is doing lay out work for the LVL beam assemblies:

LVL sandwich almost done, more screws required on other side:

Yes this might block out the sun!

The 2x6 at the 3 foot mark will be for my wainscoting transition:

view from the road/ driveway:

Slow and steady:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Dec 2020 at 7:36am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:40am
i'll bet you are just "wiggl'in" with antisapation! look'in good buddy! oh...and Ted wanted to make sure i asked you if you have a space reserved for the beer fridge? oh...and John, i thinks we are to late to go and borrow some of that lumber Chris has laying around there...what's the matter? Freightliner wouldn't start? sometimes it's hard to get good help nowadays Chris! looks like you gots all the good help there! keep them pics comong!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 5:24am
It sure is NICE to see progress ! happy you dropped in the 1" for phone/cable as NOW is the time to do it. I hate the 'woulda/shoulda/coulda' rant ......we've all done before.

Up here the 'new' way to transition from the pole to the pip is to NOT have an 'elbow'. Instead Ontario Hydro now wants a 'pit' of sand 3' x 4' and they 'G' the service wire, so down the pole,pull a 180, back up a bit then into the piping....The slack in the 'G' is supposed to be for frost heaving..

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:54am
Shameless, Jay, Folks,
Most of the material is accounted for!
On the frost and electric vertical at the building, Nic showed me a PVC sleeve that allows the pipe to move up and down if the conduit would move. Seems like a good solution too.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on overhead doors soon. Not cheap either. Nothing is!

Trying to get it right the first time, so I dont have the woulda, shoulda, coulda, syndrome later!

Last night was much more comfortable. Grabbed a lawn chair set in the shop door and fell asleep for a hour or so! Not used to this cheap physical stuff!:)

Off to rip some lumber and get materials ready to frame in window rough openings.
Regards,
Chris
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm
Wish I would have got a window panel for my overhead door. It's to late now just a window panel is more than 1/2 the cost of the complete door. It's was only a few bucks if I would have ordered it initially .
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm
slow and steady...............wins the race...

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:37pm
I put window in all my top panels on my over head doors sure helps light things up 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
if the doors are steel or wood panels, it's 'easy' to cut and add some 1/8 or 1/4 polycarb windows. I WAS going to do that next doo but, well, sold the place, so I've kinda lost interest in that project....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Folks,
 Here are my helpers! Yes they like Orange popsicles the best!

My neighbor coming to my rescue lifting the LVL assemblies into place with his skid steer. Worked very well!

I have 6 inch engineered screws that I will drive in from each side and add some support under the ends on the posts too. Should be able to pull a WD engine under one of these door headers now!

Setting additional girts for the single hung 3 x 4 windows:

My builder rolls in at 4:00 out at 6:00. I have built all window boxes. Need some additional PT for finishing the skirt board area and frames for the man doors. They got 24 feet of this west wall covered in 5/8 osb. Its starting to block out the sun!:)
 Regards,
 Chris

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Jul 2020 at 10:49pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:57am
Great progress Chris!

Dale, first off, do you know how far it is from Colorado to western PA?   A long way! Second, you been saying you don't leave your house except to get more drugs, er medicine, so it seems likely if I came by to pick you up to go on to Chris's, you would probably beg off.  And third, at the rate they are getting that building up, the thing will be all finished and all the material gone into it, which is just as well as I would have to load it myself anyway.  Besides, there is plenty of "free" lumber around here, just have to know the right time to go pick it up...
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:00am
Looking good. Nice work. Great pics and explanation.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:31am
You guys must have made a run? i am a couple boards short on Pressure treated lumber. Another trip to the lumber yard this morning.
I have not driven to Colorado yet. But its on the agenda next year. Estes park for son's wedding in June. So keep your materials locked down.
Regards,
 Chris 

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:00am
Great pics. Your making good progress. Love watching the building project
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:10pm
Folks,
 A little cooler today. 

More wood for door jams:

South wall sheeted:

Door details, 45 degree at 16 inch corner:

From the road:

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:03pm
Folks,
Thinking of getting local crane to come in and set the trusses. $400 min charge to set up and for 3 hours. then $135/ hour after that. I think we could get them all set in 3-4 hours.
This would allow us to sheet the end trusses with OSB and maybe tyvek them too.  Also one end truss needs a window framed. 
Had the OH door folks here today everything checked out ok. Ready to order doors soon.
Eric and I framed in the rough opening for man doors (3) with Pressure treated material.
Most of the sheeting is on the walls.
Hope things are good in orange land?
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Looks good to me.  About those missing boards... Shameless is a lot closer to you then I am, but I seriously doubt if he would be a big enough scoundrel to just take a few boards...
When you come out to Estes, you need to come by, I'm only 30 some miles from there.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:18am
RENT THE CRANE !!! honestly, it's faster and a lot SAFER... you can 'pinch pennies' eleswhere, later. I'd even pay a crew to get the trusses up. Same with the roof. The sooner it's up, the sooner it's 'weather tight'.
We all enjoy the 'progress pictures' and don't need to see one of you or crew in hospital with busted arm or leg !!!
 Jay

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:47am
Chris,
     Thanks for all the pictures, sure makes the project more interesting for everyone. Good to see all the progress. Looks like you must have spent a lot of time planning your building. Be safe, Russell.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 10:46pm
I watched a shed about the size of yours built a few years ago.  The crew put several trusses together with the framing and plywood on and had a crane lift up the whole section.  Seems like they did it in 3 or 4 sections.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:20am
Folks,
As usual I tend to go way overboard on pictures. Let me know when its too much!:)
Thanks again for the support.
I need it! Lots of moves. Trusses will arrive Monday. Interesting concept of building sections on the ground and hoisting the sections into position with the crane.

Son Eric has been helping me a lot and then the 2 man hired crew shows up for a couple hours. We worked on the three overhead door details with the little 45 degree details in the corners today.
A little more sheeting and the walls will be done.
Jib crane pole is set inside the building, ready for installation.
Yes I have thought about a lot of the building features but am also allowing some flexibility as the building develops too. Like the walk door positions were only finally established yesterday.

Thanks to Cheryl for taking some action shots of me trying to get something done.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Aug 2020 at 12:37am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:32am
Looking great, and yes, house wrap will seal up the sheathing keep the chance rot of the panels WAY down!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 1:56pm
Yes looking great, thanks for all the pictures

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:32pm
placing trusses in sections does work... on my house, I actually built the entire replacement roof in three pieces in the yard, cut the old roof off, lifted it off with a crane, and set the new roof on in one day (in MARCH!)

That being said, if I were doing your building, I'd have a shooting-boom forklift rented for 3 days... first day to set trusses, lift and place purlins, third day to place roof skin... and be done with all the heavy stuff up top.  I'd use it to unload all the exterior (you using steel? and any other materials you have trucked in...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:40am
DMiller, tadams, DaveK,
 Thanks! 
We worked on wrapping up little details on the building around door openings last night. Have corners to build on the 16 foot door today. 
While resting We helped neighbor set trusses on his house/ garage addition. These are some shots of that too.

Regards,
Chris

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
Nice!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 3:51pm
Folks
Have to sheet this north end:

West side is pretty much done.

Grandson Mike and Heidi his girlfriend, his old Dodge in the shop.

Their daughter Chloe loved the new shop!

Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 56>
  Share Topic