This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3700 crank pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3700 crank pulley
    Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 3:41pm
Is there something about the 3700 crank pulley
that i'm not aware of as far as using a puller on it
to remove it,been patiently trying since yesterday evening
with air impact and lots of parts blaster,still no luck.
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
Some of them have 2 set screws, same hole, one under the other.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 7:09pm
They sometimes require a 10 ton puller and you MUST pull with three 7/16" grade 8 bolts from the center hub. They are on a tapered crankshaft nose and are T-I-G-H-T  !!!!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 8:06pm
Get it tight and smack puller with big hammer.     MACK
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
I have 2 that I want off and the one on the 3500 tractor
motor popped off pretty easy but the one on the 3700 hasn't
budged yet.Have hit it with a hammer as suggested and also checked for the set screws mentioned and didn't see them anywhere.I still have pressure on the puller and been spraying it with parts blaster,they must be mated for life LOL.
I'll just keep trying I reckon til it pops loose.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:22pm
On difficult to remove pulleys, the use of an air chisel with a flat bit on the puller bolt will set up harmonics that usually will separate the two.  We have left the puller on all night and found the pulley in the floor in the morning as well...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 11:46pm
I always leave the crank bolt two turns loose so the washer will catch the pulley when it breaks loose. I have used a torch to carefully warm up the inner hub in a small area and had things finally pop and let go.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:53am
They definitely POP when releasing!
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:52pm
The cast puller I WAS using just broke in the middle.
Pulley one,puller zero.
Can you use a 3 finger puller on this pulley
and pull on the pulley instead of screwing the bolts in it.
Mike Kroupa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Kroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:14pm
No,don't pull on the pulley you will just pull it off the inside hub and end up with two pieces. Years ago I made one from 5/8 flat iron using an inch grade 8 fine threaded bolt for the center pusher bolt. I made it compact so I could remove the dampener without removing the radiator in a 7000 series tractor. Good Luck!, Mike
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
I used a 3 jaw 12 ton hydraulic puller from harbor freight on the one I took off our L2. I made adapters to be able to bolt the puller arms to the pulley. It took all 12 tons i think, but it broke loose. Good luck
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:57pm
So I borrowed a snap on puller with 3 bolts and after
about 10 minutes of trying and some hitting with the hammer
the pulley finally came off.

Thanks guys.
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm
Worked on the engine swap some today.
I'm going to switch the heads on these motors
and lifted the valve cover off the 3500 engine and got to
looking at things and noticed the hex head bolts in it,hmmmm.
I was told those were either a 3/4 or 13/16 hex bit ok.
I went to town to look for those since I didn't take time
to find out for sure and I wasn't to surprised to find the 3/4
hex bit but it was in a set at lowes' but never did find a 13/16
any where so came home and looked them up and found them both made
by titan,they will be here Saturday.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:49am
Should just need a 3/4 or 13/16 6 or 12 point socket.      MACK
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 8:07pm
There are 5 hex head bolts down the middle of the head,
at least on 3500 engine.
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
Hello everyone.
OK I got the head off the 3500 motor this evening.
I know I asked about the row of hex head bolts across the middle
of the head and I noticed there is one outside the valve cover also.
These bolt heads are in between the valves,I was told they are head bolts.
I loosened all the other head bolts and tried to loosened these hex head bolts
and they wouldn't budge but in the process of tugging on them with a breaker bar the head popped loose????so these hex head bolts can not be head bolts going
through the head into the block,so what are they for.

Thanks guys.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:44pm
They are head bolts.       MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:01am
You're messing with the socket head plugs that seal up the COOLANT passages in the cylinder head. Leave them alone !!!!!
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:13pm
Thank you Doc.

So now another question.I know the simple thing to do is just get some 3x5 angle iron and make some dog ears to bolt the front of the motor to the frame and I know it would it work fine but!!!!!!!I would rather change the front deck plate.
I have looked at these 2 motors and pumps and the 3500 has the DC pump and the 3700 has the DM pump,so the DM pump will not work with the front deck plate off the 3500,so with that being said,could I not maybe find a front deck plate off a 7060 with the dog ears and just replace it with the one on it now and be able to use the DM pump that way.
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:34pm
Pulled the head off the 3700 engine this afternoon and bad news.
Number 3 piston has a large burned area on it and hole in it about the size of a pencil and number 4 sleeve is rough on top too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic