This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiberglass Ladder Maintece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiberglass Ladder Maintece
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:19pm
I have multiple fiberglass ladders- 4',6',8' steps and 16',24' and 28' extension ladders, I  will admit that 75% of them ride on the top of my cargo body or in it;not covered. I happened to climb into the back of my vehicle this afternoon to grab a tool and slid my flannel sleeved shirt across a ladder and received  multiple "glass" slivers from it.What-if anything- can be done to alleviate the slivers?? The ladders are in excellent working shape otherwise. My first thought was "clear coat in a can"?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:06pm
I'd say that'd be a good idea. Maybe a spray can of 'automotive' clear coat as it'd (hopefully) have lots of UV protection. Spray several light coats from different directions.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:22pm
That's what I'd try. It won't cost much and might help. I've got a ladder here that needs something done due to the same scenario.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:58pm
I'd get some straight glass resin, sand it really well then brush on the resin. Glass boat dealer or marina would have resin and some pointers. It's the same stuff that's holding all them fiberglass strands together as we speak.

Edited by Walker - 15 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm
Im with Walker.... same effect as the clear coat, but you get a MUCH THICKER cover and it will soak into any threads and seal up..... due to  the BRUSH ON, you get a good thick coverage. ............ I would just mix a cup full at a time and see how long it takes before it GELLS and you cant spread it.

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Apr 2019 at 8:11pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:19pm
All depends on how much catalyst you add on time you have. Newb better not figure on more than five minutes till they've mixed a few batches. Oh and have more than one brush ready.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:02pm
X2. Those cheapy packages 1" brushes would probably work best for the small areas. Leon
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:25pm
Acetone will cut it but being it's made to permeate have spare brushes handy.
jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:08am
Clear coat, lightly sand, clear coat again.  Lasts about 5 years.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:36pm
It is against OSHA regulations to coat any ladder with anything.  The reason for that is it changes the conductivity of the ladder.  I've fought the same thing in the past, I'm not an advocate for OSHA but the problem is, if OSHA catches you with a coated ladder on a jobsite the fine is pretty steep and also, they multiply it by the number of employees your company has on the premises.
Maximum use of available resources!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

It is against OSHA regulations to coat any ladder with anything.  The reason for that is it changes the conductivity of the ladder.  I've fought the same thing in the past, I'm not an advocate for OSHA but the problem is, if OSHA catches you with a coated ladder on a jobsite the fine is pretty steep and also, they multiply it by the number of employees your company has on the premises.

Even linseed oil on a wood ladder ?

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:02pm

I was afraid of this very issue LOL!! Luckily I am not an electrician and don't work around live wires as a rule, no employee's either. Thanks for the heads-up though.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Even linseed oil on a wood ladder ?

Dusty

It does allow for linseed oil on wooden ladders, even recommends it but we are talking fiberglass ones.  Most commercial/industrial businesses with a written safety plan won't allow wooden  or aluminum ladders on site.
jon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:46am
Most employers would have had to replace a fiberglass ladder long before it got into this condition.  I understand the OSHA requirements but thought this was for "HOME" use. 
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by jon jon wrote:

I understand the OSHA requirements but thought this was for "HOME" use. 
When I read it the first time I thought so too but then I saw the "top of the cargo van," phrase and figured it was a commercial use.  I saw OSHA fine a company several thousand dollars because their ladder didn't have 3 rungs above the edge of the building and they had 4 guys on the job.  I told someone that if they fine me a thousand or two I might pay it but if they hit me with a $40K-$50K fine I'd just give them the keys and tell them it their problem now.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by jon jon wrote:

I understand the OSHA requirements but thought this was for "HOME" use. 
When I read it the first time I thought so too but then I saw the "top of the cargo van," phrase and figured it was a commercial use.  I saw OSHA fine a company several thousand dollars because their ladder didn't have 3 rungs above the edge of the building and they had 4 guys on the job.  I told someone that if they fine me a thousand or two I might pay it but if they hit me with a $40K-$50K fine I'd just give them the keys and tell them it their problem now.

I don't do any commercial work, strictly residential construction. Trust me, OSHA gets involved Unhappy
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:43pm
I watched OSHA get involved with an employer once. Never did hear what the fine was but after they've saved you and the rest of humanity from yourselves and they don't have much else to do they become a lot like VD. You don't want it and it becomes impossible to get rid of.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:00am
Dumbest thing I ever heard was an OSHA guy standing on the ground watching a guy that worked with my FIL.  They are welders.  They are welding this framework together for a building and Russ had to go up 30' to weld beams together.  So he up and puts the ladder against the cross beam and climbs up and ties the top off and comes back down to get whatever he needed.  The OSHA guy hands him a ticket for climbing a ladder that was not secured at the top.  GO figure that one....  I don't know if they fought that one or not, never did find out the outcome.

And they breed....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:53am
At the Utility I watched as Stores Mechanics cut up what I considered quite usable ladders, company Would NOT give them to employees either, rung steps cut out for metal and fiberglass hacked up for trash. due to loss of Conductivity suppression and as well for such as noted feathering or slight cracking. WERNER used to have a inspection chart for discard limits, and did not allow for much issues.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:29pm
Do gooders have all but strangled the country to death.  Take a drive across I-44 in Mo. Think that road could be built today? The earth worshipers wouldn't allow it. I bet some dirt got in some streams.....
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:47am
Almost none of the highway systems could be built today, have to study it to death before even set shovel to sod. Just getting the REPLACEMENT bridges up at Hermann and Washington MO with a existing bridge in place took YEARS of Impact survey, study on environmental impact. All that and sand dredges work under them EVERY year while towboats ply those same waters weekly and levee districts continually work the banks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic