This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First post my Wd puller project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First post my Wd puller project.
    Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:35pm
So this is a long story but I will keep it short. When I was younger I went in on a 48 WD with a friend. We used the tractor for everything from skidding wood to brush hogging and making hay. I even took to a few stone boat and transfer sled pulls. I bought out his half and had the tractor for years. I ended up selling it off because I didn't use it much and didn't have a covered place to store it..... a few years later my buddy that I used to go to pulls with called and said he was taking his Super M to a local pull and I should come check it out.

Well unfortunately I did and I just had to get back into pulling.

So here is what I started with. Basically bone stock 48 WD

IMG_20161114_054715.jpg
Sponsored Links

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm
So with the help of a few friends we fabbed up some really basic wheelie bars and a hitch.

I didn't really know what I wanted in a hitch just that I wanted it short and as high as possible per the rules (18" high and 20" from the center of axle back)

This is the best picture I have of the hitch and bars.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:05pm
Nice, got hooked back into it. Where abouts are you located
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:57am
Upstate ny near Ithaca. I have a lot of pictures of my project just trying to figure out a decent way to post them.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:04am
You can start saving your pictures into the file manager and posting them that way but eventually you will run out of room and have to delete to put in more.  vgy.me has been suggested but I find it quite unuser friendly compared to photosucket.  don't bother with photobucket as you will have to pay to have your pictures viewable, unless you only post a link to the album.

decent looking tractor to start with.  I found tires and hitch make the biggest gains, and then its tweaking and engine mods if you can afford it.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
Thanks for the info. I took a bunch of pictures during the build. I hope I can get them posted.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:32pm

I just setup an account at www.postimg.org after seeing it usedt in construction equipment forum to give it a try.  Looks a little more user friendly than vgy for same application.

here is where my pulling project started.  date was not 2005 more like 2014 or 15  From forum file manager

From www.postimg.org  where im at now

Edited by CAL(KS) - 09 Nov 2017 at 12:44pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm
Great pics thanks for the reply.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:11pm
Another try at the hitch pic.

So this is the hitch we threw together the day before the pull and it's not the greatest. I am planning on redoing the hitch this winter to make it and the wheelie bars adjustable.

Edited by UglyAllis - 09 Nov 2017 at 5:20pm
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
So Tha last 4 pulls of 2016 I ran the stock WD.

I pulled 3500, 4000, 4500 and 5000 all in the antique class which is 3.5mph.

The track I pull at is really grippy clay and I definitely didn't have the hp.

I could spin out in 3500 and 4000 but ran out of power after that.

So now I was trying to decide what to do.

Build my motor up to 45 specs? Leave it stock.... Hmmm

Well this is when I found this site. I did a lot or reading and found that the gleaner E was a good swap. I thought what are the chances of finding a decent E motor.

A work friend of mine owns a combine salvage yard in upstate NY so I gave him a call. He just happened to have a gleaner E that came in (got drove in) last summer. I told him to pull the motor I would take it.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:39pm
I finished out the 2016 season on the stock motor and just flat out got my butt kicked every month.

Once last winter came I pulled the tractor in the shop and started to tear down.

My goal was to stop off all the unnecessary weight and put in the gleaner motor.

I have a lot of pictures of the swap I will try to post a bunch of them but it is so slow uploading them.

A big thanks goes out to everyone who posted in the past on this forum. I wouldn't have had the confidence to do the swap on my own.

So here it is in the shop starting to strip it down. I never tore into this tractor before but everything is extremely simple. I love working on it and teaching my boys along the way.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:48pm
So I stripped the gleaner motor and pressure washed it. I ditched all the associated combine parts (started, flywheel, water pump, and had it down to just the basics.

I looked everything over really well and took a lot of pics to reference later if need be.

We first pulled the WD engine and set it off to the side.

While I had the engine out I wanted to pull the hand clutch out and strip off all the other in needed parts.

So I removed the hydraulic pump, hand clutch, PTO box, PTO gears and associated parts that held them in.

Here we are prepping to pull the motor.

The kids were a huge help. It was so nice doing it with them.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:51pm
I will add more info and pics as I get time if people are interested.

mjbower View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:30pm
Keep the pictures coming and keep up the good work. Good see the kids helping maybe they will drive it some day.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
Here is a pic of the stock motor out. We pulled it with the frame rails left in place. There was lots of room.

Kids had a blast
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:39pm
Next step was dropping the frame rail, pulling the steering wheel and shaft, and the fuel tank.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:45pm
Now onto removing the bell housing and hand clutch housing section. All pretty straight forward.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:50pm
I thought I had more pics of the hand clutch removal but can't find them at the moment.

Here is a picture of the housing with the hand clutch out. I also removed everything the large cross shaft too. Figured might as well if it's not needed.

Here is the shaft that goes into the transmission

I had a hard time coming up with a coupler for this.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm
Once I had this section gutted I was ready to put it back together.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm
While I had that section out I had to make block off plates for the hydraulic pump, PTO box, hand clutch, and flat belt pulley openings.

Here is the one for the hydraulic pump.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:04pm
Here it is back together

This is one of my favorite pics. My son would do his homework on the work bench while I worked on the tractor. He was motivated to get it done so he could help.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:09pm
Now it's time to see if the gleaner would fit.

We put a new clutch in it while it was apart.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:16pm
So just as you guys said the motor was a direct bolt in. Absolutely no issues. The engine does touch the framerail on the right side but barely so I didn't notch the rail.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:22pm
So I will try to cover what I did and why if you have any questions please ask

Here are the 2 thermostat housings. I ran the factory WD one so everything would clear.

Here is a side by side picture of the 2 pulleys.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:49pm
So my stock pulley was open all the way through the center. I could slide it on but when I lined it up with indent on the crankshaft it was about 5/8" to far forward (if I remember correctly).

I measured the distance I needed to move the hole on the pulley.

I took the pulley to a local machinist. I had him drill a new hole on the opposite side the correct distance from the end and he tapped it to accept the factory bolt.

Well worth the 20$ he charged.

I can't tell from the pic but I think it was takes during mockup.

Also used the factory water pump just had to drill out the holes.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:14pm
So you have to do something about the oil lines so that the steering shaft clears.

Here is what the factory gleaner lines looked like.

Here is what I did.

I actually redid them one more time to make it easier to pull the dipstick.

This particular gleaner motor already had a block off plate on the fuel pump hole in the block so I didn't have to mess with it.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
I am running the factory gleaner carb but with a cone style filter and a 12 volt fuel pump.

I was originally going to run and alternator but later ditched it and just run a battery and charger it between pulls.

I am also running a 4" straight pipe. It's pretty loud.

Here it is mostly buttoned up.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
Good thread! Glad you have the boys helping you!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
I gave it an oil change and wired the fuel pump and ignition to a simple toggle switch.

The one thing I didn't really take any pictures of what the governor setup. This part was making me the most nervous. I didn't really understand what others were doing to this to convert to the tractor style governor.

I decided I was going to try the combine gov and if I didn't like how it acted I would figure out to change it over.

With a little work I was able to make the combine gov work. Its really hard for me to explain what I had to do so if anyone wants more info I will have to take some pics.

UglyAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:38pm
So once we we're ready to try to fire it I was very nervous.

We puller the started handle and it fired right up..... I mean like sat there ideling perfect. The motor runs amazing. Idles great revs good. I had a few small oil leaks but I couldn't believe how great this thing ran. I got very very lucky with this motor considering it was at a salvage yard.

The governor works great to. It's hard to explain but it is a much touchier throttle. It really snaps open hard but then hits max rpm quick. It works fine just touchy compared to the tractor gov.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic