This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Shift Cables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Shift Cables
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
Has anyone ever tried to refurbish the shifter cables on the 7000 series tractors. Replaced one set with new ones but the old ones when straight weren't much different than new ones when straight. However, they are curved in a couple of places when installed  and when compared when rolled in a circle-then quite a difference between new and old ones.

Any way to get the old ones to work good again or are they garbage. The dust caps at both ends look good. Anyone with any experience or ideas?
Sponsored Links

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:53pm
Have never tried it, but will tell you this, We have put far more hours on the new set that was installed many years ago vs. the originals, and have never replace a single one of them.  The new Green cables are just so much better.  I think what happens in the old ones, is the fine dirt gets in the cable and swells the center cable by working its way inside the cable during the push cycle, and then once swelled it doesn't move well since the clearance is gone.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the post. Now I'm wondering about the new ones I bought. The ones I bought are for my 8550 which I consider a 7000 series. My old ones are black and so are the new ones.  Are the new ones for the 7000-7080's green? Does anyone know if there are green cables for the 8550?
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:12pm
I have had some luck by taking the cable out, moving the dust cap, squirting penetrating oil of your choice, then chucking it up in a drill.  Spin, oil, spin, oil, until it moves freely again.  Only seems to work if the cable just got stiff, if they are stretched, you are better off with a new one.  I havent seen the green ones either though. 
ALLISMAN32 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALLISMAN32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:59pm
I dont think all the new replacement cables are green. Alot of the tractors that spend all their time outside seem to have cable problems more frequently than ones that get to stay inside. If the new one you get lasts another 10 years or so you will probably have upgraded to something different by then for daily use and the AC will be a toy if not already one.
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:09pm
The newer style green cables, and some of the black ones have a spiral-wound outer sheath, so the inner (moving) cable doesn't wedge/bind.  The originals had the strands of the sheath parallel to the moving cable.  As things wear, the inner and outer strands tend to bind. 

Knowing this, lubrication is not likely to help much or for very long.

There is a company called Cable Craft (a division of Tuthill) that makes these control cables and they sell direct.  The ones I've gotten from AGCO even had their name on them.  May as well cut out the middle man.

Edited by Russ-neia - 19 Mar 2012 at 10:10pm
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:35pm
I think the green ones are also teflon lined.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:02am
I did "redo" the hi/lo shift cable for my 7050 a few years ago. It got real stiff and unable to shift so I went and cut the end with the 5 or 6 inch steel tube. I only cut the tube. Removed the cable and cleaned out the sheath. Sanded down the cable. Spray with a real light oil. Slipped it together. Found a piece of tubing that just fit inside or outside the old tube I had cut (can't remember if it fit inside or outside) and brazed the old tube back together. It's been working great probably for 5 years or so. Funny how frugal one gets when you have no more cash.Smile
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic