This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

traction booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 7:54pm
the one thing the allis chalmers traction booster with the snap coupler does that the rest do not do is sense the pull on the drawbar to raise a load on a drawbar pulled implemnt
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 8:18pm
A-C made a "Traction Booster drawbar" for 3-point hitch tractors that also did the same thing for pull-type implements.  I've investigated the M-F pressure control system and it does something similar, but it is not automatic. It requires the operator to constantly move a lever increasing or decreasing the weight transfer thru the hitch. It also didn't turn very short, which the A-C 3-point system hitch did.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Likely the worst idea Allis had. Some think it’s so great because it raises the implement if the tire slips all it does is cover for a poor operator. Macon compared it to traction control an equally stupid idea in a vehicle if I start to spin or have deep snow ahead I disable TC I can control it better. I like how on my Deere 3pt only has one lever and still get full range of motion.

Every Deere I’ve run that’s newer than 1970 and older than 2005 has a 4 position lever to select how much “draft help” you want. Have run a 2006 small Deere with 2 levers beside each other, one for height one for adjustable help.

My 8760 has one lever.  Big smile
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 8:37am
I have the 52 plow on the 15, going to the power show this weekend. Traction booster gauge is toast on this tractor so it will be all 'seat of the pants'. Will give a report after plowing with it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 8:52am
It is important to have the "rate-of drop" screw underneath the sediment bowl adjusted correctly for the best performance. You don't want the drop rate too fast or it will hunt up and down all the time. Big coil spring adjustment and this are covered in the Operators manual.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 10:50am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Likely the worst idea Allis had. Some think it’s so great because it raises the implement if the tire slips all it does is cover for a poor operator. Macon compared it to traction control an equally stupid idea in a vehicle if I start to spin or have deep snow ahead I disable TC I can control it better. I like how on my Deere 3pt only has one lever and still get full range of motion.

Every Deere I’ve run that’s newer than 1970 and older than 2005 has a 4 position lever to select how much “draft help” you want. Have run a 2006 small Deere with 2 levers beside each other, one for height one for adjustable help.

My 8760 has one lever.  Big smile

Good for you and your 8760.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 10:57am
Was that supposed to be sarcasm?
The Allis Chalmers traction booster system is the only system that actually worked, if you knew how to set it, and adjust it.
NO manufacturer draft system worked as good or as fast especially John Deere whose system was pretty much non existent until electronics came into being.
Your 8760 has one lever and electronic adjustment to make it work. 
The flaw with traction booster was the dealers not explaining to farmers how it worked and how to turn it ON.
One example (of many) was my friends Dad plowing with the 8050 FWA and an Allis 4-16 semi mount plow, I argued with him there was no way an 8050 wasn't going to pull more plow than his 190XT did. His argument was their farm was heavy red clay, and to convince me he wanted me to ride with him out plowing. So I did and the plow pulled like a rock, it wasn't set completely right, so I adjusted that, and it helped but was still a rock, it finally occurred to me the traction booster wasn't on, I reached over him and turned it on and he immediately pushed in the clutch because he thought the plow had unhooked. He looked at me and said what the hell did you just do? I said the traction booster isn't on, and it is now. He went back to plowing and couldn't believe the difference " no wonder we pulled the old plow in pieces" he said a few rounds later.
What he was referring to was the the 4-16 Allis plow they pulled the hitch off of twice with their 7040 before trading for the 8050, which ripped the front off the plow not long after getting the 8050.
Nobody explained to them when they bought the 7040, or the 8050, and nobody stopped to ask why the 7040 was tearing the plow apart, it had the power so they just accepted it.
Allis didn't design the plow to be in the ground 12"+ going through clay knolls, the plow was trying to pull the knolls down, and both the 7040 and 8050 had the steam and weight to do it, and the 8050 the traction.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 9:01pm
I always thought the traction booster worked awesome on D17 snap coupler.
The spreader bar between lift latches made a distinct radial when lifting a lowering. So I always knew when the traction booster was working. I always enjoyed that.

Edited by Mikez - 04 Aug 2023 at 9:06pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:14am
I did not get to plow with the D-15. Did plow with the 45 however. Of course I'm used to using the T-booster on it and it worked great as usual. Dirt was like concrete, it always is at this show. I'll get the 15 to a plow day somewhere this year.
ncpackfan39 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 2:49pm
I’m looking to replace 4 springs in the traction booster linkage on an Allis Chalmers D21. These part numbers are found In the “sensing linkage / 3-point hitch”parts manual but I can’t find a replacement through agco. Would anyone know where to find new springs for the 3-point hitch traction booster linkage?
The parts numbers are: 243449, 241479, 241618, and 243488. I appreciate if anyone has any info.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic