This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

traction booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: traction booster
    Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:40pm
can anyone tell me how and what the traction booster is used for on my 185 diesel.  
Sponsored Links

Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:26pm
Well on older tractors the traction booster was used to shift weight around (via lifting or lowering the mounted implement on the snap coupler system)  I'm sure others will chirp in and correct me if i'm wrong. 
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:35pm
It works the same way on the 3pt hitch tractors....when the implement hits a hard spot, the traction booster starts to lift the implement, thus transferring weight to the tractor which gives it more traction and may lift the implement out of the ground slightly, lessening the load at the same time. It only works with ground engaging implements....the TB lever on the console is used to dial in the right amount of boost to keep the front wheels on the ground and still pull the implement without excessive wheel slip. I believe it is also explained in the operator's manual.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:29pm
I'd have to go read it again but I think you're supposed to put depth control lever all the way fwd and set the TB lever  for depth.From there you don't touch the depth or TB levers and lift and lower with 3-point control. This is on a 220.
   TB is used mainly for moldboard plowing

Edited by Steve M C/IL - 28 Dec 2010 at 11:31pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:57am
Traction Booster is a form of weight transfer from the implement and to some degree the weight of the soil and ground resistance to the rear tires of the tractor. There is also some of the front end weight of the tractor that is transfered too. If set properly, which isn't hard to do with an operators manual handy, then the weight transfer can take place without lifting or changing implement depth. The Snap Coupler was best of all hitch set ups for Traction Booster but Allis also had a better than most set up with 3-point hitches too. Here is a video of how it works on the WD45........there is a better video giving more detail that Allis made back in the day but I can't find it.

TB section starts at the 5 minute mark
[TUBE]cYH3q9nJ-fc[/TUBE]

-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
papastanh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papastanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:47pm
Lonn, thanks for the video on the WD, explained alot that I am learning about my D-14/
Kaleb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 11:53am
I was wondering what that was, but here is my question, How do I wire the traction booster? what am i connecting it to? looking to restore my D14. I can't find any info on this. 
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 12:23pm
As others have mentioned, it's Allis's method of draft control - pivot and lift points are such that it senses the load/pull on the hitch arms and lifts the implement slightly when too much drag is encountered. Usually it just lifts an almost imperceptible amount - enough so the tractor is taking all the weight rather than some of it resting on the soil, and thus there's more weight (and thus traction) on the rear axle, so it can power through the tough spot. If it keeps sensing too much pull, it will keep lifting, raising the implement out of the ground and thus pulling less. Although all manufacturers developed their own draft control systems, Allis really pulled out all the stops on theirs and did a great job on it. They also designed it so you could have the traction booster aspect work at the remotes for trailed/pull type (not mounted) implements: You hitched it to a special drawbar they offered that hooked across the three point lift arms. Because the load is sensed by the pull at the lift arms, it would sense the pull of your trailed implement. By having the control levers in the right position it would then send fluid to the remotes when it sensed too much load rather than lift the hitch, and would lift your trailing implement using the implement cylinder. I don't think any other manufacturers offered that ability.

Here's what the operator manual says for the 180 (it didn't copy too well):

The lever located nearest the wheel guard controls the tractor lift arms and is us ed to lower and raise mounted or semi-moumted implements
from transport position to working position and
vice versa. This lever has four positions, "Lift" , "Hold" ,
"TRACTION BOOSTER" and " Lower". When
the lever is moved rearward it will detent in the "Lift" position and as the lift rams fully extend the pressure build-up will release the detent and the centering spring will return the lever automatically to "Hold 11 position. When the lever is moved to the extreme forward position the valves in "Lower'' position and must be manually held in this position, slowly releasing the lever w ill return it t o the ''TRACTION BOOSTER" position which is a detent.

The lever must be manually moved to any other
position. The system will lower or raise the draft arms
at a faster rate in the' Lower' position than in
the "TRACTION BOOSTER" position. In order
to raise or lower in the "TRACTION BOOSTER"
position either the TRACTION BOOSTER or
Position Control lever must be moved.

TRACTION BOOSTER OPERATION

The advantage of weight transfer for added down-
ward load on the tractor wheels, efficient sus-
pension of the implement and the controlled depth
of the implement operation, have all been combined into the term "Allis - Chalmers TRACTION BOOSTER System" .

The rear lever nearest the wheel guard controls the TRACTION BOOSTER system. When using the TRACTION BOOSTER system with feedback, operate tractor with the levers positioned as follows: The lift arm control lever must be in the TRACTION BOOSTER detent position. The Position Control lever must be
moved forward, in the deepest, highest number
position. Select desired depth of implement
with the TRACTION BOOSTER lever.
TRACTION BOOSTER with f e ed- back controls
the implement depth to maintain a near constant
load or pull on the draft arms. In varying soil
conditions when tighter soil is encountered the
TRACTION BOOSTER system will automatically
sense the increase in load (pull) and raise the
draft arms slightly to maintain a constant load.
When loose soil is encounter ed the load will
lessen and the TRACTION BOOSTER system
will automatically lower the draft arms to pick
up more load to maintain a constant load. The
TRACTION BOOSTER system with feedback,
works to maintain a near constant load not a
constant depth . However , if the soil is not too
varied it will maintain an essentially constant
depth.
When a more constant depth is desired in widely
varying soils, it may be necessary to move the
TRACTION BOOSTER lever to a lower number
setting when encountering loose soils or to a
higher number setting when encountering tighter
soils. After passing through the tight or loose
soil return the TRACT ION BOOSTER lever to the original setting. In most operating conditions this procedure is not necessary.

TRACTION BOOSTER is generally used with all
implements that operate in the soil, such as
moldboard plows, disc harrows, bedders, etc .
The TRACTION BOOSTER system will maintain
a more const ant depth when set for maximum
feed - back. Refer to "Feed-Back Linkage" m
the 11Adjustments 11 section of this manual.

POSITION CONTROL
The rear lever nearest the operator controls the Position Control system. When using Position Control only, position the control levers as follows: The tractor lift arm lever must be in the TRACTION BOOSTER detent position .
The TRACTION BOOSTER lever must be moved forward, in the deepest, highest number position. Select any lift arm height with the Position Control lever to control the working position of the implement.

Edited by DanielW - 01 Aug 2023 at 2:32pm
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Kaleb Kaleb wrote:

I was wondering what that was, but here is my question, How do I wire the traction booster? what am i connecting it to? looking to restore my D14. I can't find any info on this. 

Please clarify your question.  The traction booster is part of the tractor.  There is nothing to wire or connect.  If you have an operator's manual, it explains how it works.  If you don't have a manual, you really should get one.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 1:58pm
Ford/Ferguson would have been the first, but theirs was sensing thru the top link when it was compressed and only worked with fully mounted implements like a plow. The A-C system was truly sensed at the pull point and was made for mounted and then adapted to pull-type and semi-mounted implements, something Ford/Ferguson (and every one else) couldn't do. I think the 1100/1130 Massey's did try something for pull type implements called "Pressure Control" system, but don't think it ever came close to matching the Allis system for performance.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 2:36pm
Think of it as

"TRACTION CONTROL"

when using tillage equip.

if tractor tires start to slip, equip is raised to transfer weight on rear tires.

Simple !

Edited by Macon Rounds - 01 Aug 2023 at 2:38pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 7:29am
I guess there’s something wrong with mine. I have never been all that impressed, no better than any other color I’ve owned.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 7:35am
What model ??  I've always altered the sensing linkage on 7010's and up to make them work better.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:16am
Most don't work at all...

Becauses they rarely get used and linkage gets stiff and valve body feedback spool gets sticky.....

But when they do work it's amazing....

Best one I ever used was on a series 2 D17. I believe because all the sensing and hydraulic valves were internal. Except for the BIG spring and the rod up to belly pump.

Nephew still has that tractor.

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:24am
Used the one on the 185 plowing last fall, seemed to work Okay. Not as dramatic as the 45 though. Of course, pulling 48 inches of plow with a 45 vs. 54" with the 185 may have colored that a bit!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:32am
I have a 7 shank chisle plow I've used on my 185 a few times. It works ok, but I still ended up playing wiht the depth a little. I didn't just burn throguh the tough spots. Of course my experience was on about a 2AC field
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 9:57am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What model ??  I've always altered the sensing linkage on 7010's and up to make them work better.

So it’s awesome, but needs altering
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 10:07am
Likely the worst idea Allis had. Some think it’s so great because it raises the implement if the tire slips all it does is cover for a poor operator. Macon compared it to traction control an equally stupid idea in a vehicle if I start to spin or have deep snow ahead I disable TC I can control it better. I like how on my Deere 3pt only has one lever and still get full range of motion.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 10:24am
I've found (in 1981) that the Traction Booster linkage on a 7010 and bigger doesn't seem to work as well as older 100 series systems. I had a customer complaint on a 7045 under warranty and had to address it. His farm was quite hilly in places and he noticed the Traction Booster just didn't seem to respond like he was used to. I think he has a 200 or 190XT that he had traded in on the 7045. Anyway, on the front of the 3-point valve spool is a capsule with a spring inside of it. I assumed the spring was protection for the 3pt valve spool in case there was a shock load to the hitch. I had determined that this spring needed some help, as it was yielding before the spool was being activated. It was quite a chore, but i added some flat washers to that spring capsule, which solved his complaint. Now, I'll be the first to admit by 1981 in my world, moldboard plowing had pretty much gone away. Any other customer who complained (and they were few) I drilled a new hole in the vertical linkage arm under the PTO valve to quicken/lengthen the linkage action from the torsion bar. This was waaaay easier to do (15 minutes) and seemed to accomplish the same results.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 10:31am
I have to disagree with the negative comments about traction booster. Lve drug subsoiler bedders ovet 3 counties in north carolina with 7040s 7045s and 8070s
I could set the traction booster and start at the end of the row and ehe engine very seldom changed tunes fro one end to the other. You could see the lift gently raising and lowering in response to changing conditions
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:03am
you have to remember  that all these parts and linkages have waer now rods are wore holes are wore, and have been for how many years.  total up all those wore out spots  and its like pulling up the slack on atow chain.   i did my wd45 afew years ago when i had it in for a hand clutch made allthe hitch controls nice and tight and guess what it works better than i ever remember  , the draft control on allmost all the brands of older tractors dont work so sweet anymore
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:18am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I've found (in 1981) that the Traction Booster linkage on a 7010 and bigger doesn't seem to work as well as older 100 series systems. I had a customer complaint on a 7045 under warranty and had to address it. His farm was quite hilly in places and he noticed the Traction Booster just didn't seem to respond like he was used to. I think he has a 200 or 190XT that he had traded in on the 7045. Anyway, on the front of the 3-point valve spool is a capsule with a spring inside of it. I assumed the spring was protection for the 3pt valve spool in case there was a shock load to the hitch. I had determined that this spring needed some help, as it was yielding before the spool was being activated. It was quite a chore, but i added some flat washers to that spring capsule, which solved his complaint. Now, I'll be the first to admit by 1981 in my world, moldboard plowing had pretty much gone away. Any other customer who complained (and they were few) I drilled a new hole in the vertical linkage arm under the PTO valve to quicken/lengthen the linkage action from the torsion bar. This was waaaay easier to do (15 minutes) and seemed to accomplish the same results.

Some pictures and other details would be appreciated. You can get with me on PM and emails if easier.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Likely the worst idea Allis had. Some think it’s so great because it raises the implement if the tire slips all it does is cover for a poor operator. Macon compared it to traction control an equally stupid idea in a vehicle if I start to spin or have deep snow ahead I disable TC I can control it better. I like how on my Deere 3pt only has one lever and still get full range of motion.

Every Deere I’ve run that’s newer than 1970 and older than 2005 has a 4 position lever to select how much “draft help” you want. Have run a 2006 small Deere with 2 levers beside each other, one for height one for adjustable help.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 1:10pm
Never saw that, the Deere 30, 40, and 50 series a run just have a single lever up and down. Then down on the side of the console by your right foot there is a slide to adjust for draft control.
10 and 20 series have an electronic switch for up and down + a dial to adjust your deptch. There's probably somehting for draft control in the electronics but I never tried to set it up. Stuff's so big now, you don't spin.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Never saw that, the Deere 30, 40, and 50 series a run just have a single lever up and down. Then down on the side of the console by your right foot there is a slide to adjust for draft control.
10 and 20 series have an electronic switch for up and down + a dial to adjust your deptch. There's probably somehting for draft control in the electronics but I never tried to set it up. Stuff's so big now, you don't spin.

Never saw what? You said you never saw it then literally described the thing by your right foot.

Or did you mean the second lever by the height lever? This is on the Indian Nightmare 5303. A small tractor, have only messed with it once on a blading job and it didn’t do much of anything.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Every Deere I’ve run that’s newer than 1970 and older than 2005 has a 4 position lever to select how much “draft help” you want. Have run a 2006 small Deere with 2 levers beside each other, one for height one for adjustable help.

I've never seen a 4 position draft lever to select how much help you need.
The one by my foot just slides and you grab a knob, not a lever. I don't remember there being positions to it, but maybe there were some detents. I only messed with them a few times to select lift height

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I've never seen a 4 position draft lever to select how much help you need.
The one by my foot just slides and you grab a knob, not a lever. I don't remember there being positions to it, but maybe there were some detents. I only messed with them a few times to select lift height

Well, it’s not like I’ve ran a dozen different models. The ones I’ve seen are like I say, a lever behind / beside your right foot, moves vertically, notches for positions. It’s like a mix of height control versus load control. According to the manual of a JD plow I bought from the 90’s era, the bigger 55 series tractors like a 4555 or whatever looks like it has a knob you turn on the side console for the same purpose, to mix how much level versus draft response.

An old Massey we had, you used 2 different levers beside each other on a quadrant right of the seat. 1 for level control, the other if you wanted a draft load response.

It doesn’t really matter, the point is the same basic concept, at least for the desired result, has been done across many brands for decades.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 5:29pm
The only thing I can tell that happens on my 7045 is that the lift arms drop farther with the TB lever forward
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 5:39pm
As it should. With the TBoost lever fully to the rear, the lift arms do raise a certain distance, which is outlined in the Operators manual. The TBoost lever on 100 series and newer is a depth control/position control with weight transfer built into it. You set the depth of the front bottom on a semi-mounted plow with it and the weight transfer is automatic from there. If you think the weight transfer is slow or lacking in performance, there is an adjustment to the immediate right of the PTO shield. Remove the quick pin and place the linkage in the LONG hole at the top of the arm. Try that first and see how it works.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 7:30pm
Yeah, I know it should lower like that. Been a while since I read through that, but I have. I could never notice anything else. I don’t remember what exactly I tried. It’ll be a few months before I plow, but I plan to do a fair bit this fall. I’ll write this down somewhere and maybe try again at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic