This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45
    Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:47am
Hello.
I got my first tractor about a month ago. It is a 1954 WD 45 adjustable wide front. It was missing the radiator and the fenders when I got it. It was in the family for a long time before it was sold to friend of my dad. Well, I brought her back home. The engine was replaced about 10-12 years ago by my dad so I knew it was a good machine. I also learned to drive tractor on it. So it means alot to me.

Right now I'm dealing with the shifter issues. I was putting around yesterday, and went to shift into 2nd and it turned into a wobble stick. The shifter is worn out at the guide pin. I have a newer 45 parts machine but the housing is different. It has two guide pins and mine has one. I think I'm going to swap the assembly out for the other style, if I can't get this to work. I also made a rookie mistake and took the cover housing off with the transmission NOT in neutral. Needless to say I'm getting a lesson in tractors now.

A little about me. I was an Aircraft Mechanic for 4 years before I went into business with my dad, and I've been fixing stuff my whole life. So I do know a little about "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey". Most of what I worked on was Airliners from the 50s, as a line mechanic.

I would be happy to get any tips and tricks about these machines. I will try to get pics tonight. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 9:14am
The best place to start is with parts, service and operators manuals. Click on Allis store at the top of this page.
Flint23 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flint23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 11:40am
I had a one pin in mine too but changed it to a two pin, I have the same yr. tractor as you. You can move the gears by hand to put it in the right gear to put it back on. I think second gear works best, it's been awhile since I've done it though.
been there done that, not doing it again...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic