This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running with choke on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running with choke on
    Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 5:36pm
Hi all,

Me back with yet another annoying question about my B.

I was clearing up a storm in my pasture yesterday and then my girl started running like crap and would only run with the choke on full.

I noticed some fuel coming out the side of the carb- so I've got myself a vacuum leak. That's my assumption anyway. Pic included, but now I'm wondering if the fuel is coming out of that screw on the end and what that means...

I basically have until Thursday of this week to get this done. By the time I order a carb kit and get it rebuilt, it'll be too late.

I know running with the choke on wastes fuel, fouls your plugs and valves, and you don't have near the same piwer, but, is it going to ruin anything major?

Once I'm done with this, I probably won't need my girl for a month or two- plenty of time to procrastinate on rebuilding the carb/take my time and do it right.

I'm debating just finishing, I've got maybe three or four hours of work left. But I don't want to overdo it for my girl and end up with a much more expensive problem later.

What do y'all think?

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 5:50pm
running with the choke on shuts of a major amount of air... normally that means your running out of gas... you have to keep the air fuel ratio right to keep it running..

"Normally" the problem is a chunk of crud got in the bowl and is partly plugging the main jet .... a vacuum leak is a possibility , but not as common.

The plug in the front i think is just another location for the fuel inlet if the carb is used in a different application...

You may not need a "rebuild" .. if it runs too bad, you could pull the carb, pull the bowl and blow things out and reinstall....

YES, you can run with the choke on, but you will not have much HP... You need enough choke to keep the air/ fuel ratio right..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 5:52pm
you might pull the plug on the BOTTOM of the bowl and drain the bowl... bang on the bowl to see if you can get any floating crud to drain out.

looks a little wet around the bowl gasket ??  Try snugging the 4 slotted mounting screws on top that hold the bowl on..

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Mar 2024 at 5:54pm
resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:06pm
I'll try the screws and put some thread tape on that fuel port.

I'll drain the bowl and tap on it, too.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

I did rob gas from another old vehicle- it could've had something in its tank or there was something in the bucket. It is possible a jet is clogged. There's an inline paper cartridge filter on it. I always thought those did pretty well. That's all my riding lawnmower has going for it. I did notice while driving that the inline filter is almost empty, but it will fill up after you turn it off.

I'm afraid to take it off and not have it run at all without a gasket set. At least now I can move it if I have to.

It actually doesn't have a sediment bowl- came that way.

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 9:17pm
I am always amazed how these 60-70 year old tractors just keep on working and working....
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 9:23pm
Take that line off by your filter and see if you have adequate flow from the tank. If not blow back to the tank and see if that helps it's a temporary fix you need to see what's obstructing the flow from the tank.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Take that line off by your filter and see if you have adequate flow from the tank. If not blow back to the tank and see if that helps it's a temporary fix you need to see what's obstructing the flow from the tank.

If I unplug the fuel line at the carburetor, the filter fills up immediately and, at least what I think, is a normal amount of fuel comes out.

However, I think it might be worth it to do what you say. Then I won't have to wonder if it's full flow. Check it off.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by EPALLIS EPALLIS wrote:

I am always amazed how these 60-70 year old tractors just keep on working and working....

This is my first year having any tractor, period, but I've been pretty impressed. I've been clearing an impenetrable overgrown pasture with 6' high Himalayan Blackberries using the sickle mower. I make high passes and low passes and then drive over it and then do another low pass. It takes time, but it's been working pretty well.

It cost as much to rent a dozer for the day ae it did to buy my B. I'm pretty happy.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 10:18pm
A  "B" is a great little tractor... Them inline filters are a REAL GOOD IDEA... with or without the sediment bowl..

If your using a computer, open the pictures in PAINT and make them 800 x 600 pixels... if your using a cell phone, e-mail to yourself and resize.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 11:36pm
Ah, I was resizing them on my phone to 2 MB, but not paying attention to the aspect ratio. I'll do better, boss!
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:51am
If the air filter isn’t hooked up, you can try temporarily choking it with your hand while the the engine is running and revved up. It’ll suck your hand to the throat and pretty much die, then you pull your hand off quick and she’ll rev back up. Repeat that process a couple times and you may get lucky where she’ll suck the blockage through. Trick I learned from Grandpa to get my B through the day raking hay on a rough field.
If the carbs been apart any time recently, it’s only about a 20 minute job to take it off and spray her out with cleaner without installing a new kit. Seem to have to do one every year in the hayfield on the tailgate of the truck.
Either way a good cleaning is in your future along with probably lining the tank when you get the time.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:01am
Originally posted by resurrection20 resurrection20 wrote:

Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

If I unplug the fuel line at the carburetor, the filter fills up immediately and, at least what I think, is a normal amount of fuel comes out.

However, I think it might be worth it to do what you say. Then I won't have to wonder if it's full flow. Check it off.

The question is, does it continue flowing for several minutes. Often these old tractors have a problem with the inlet of the sediment bowl accumulating debris. After you use the gas in the sediment bowl, flow slows significantly and the engine starves for fuel.

I agree 100% with Steve's recommendation of an inline fuel filter. The only filtering these old tractors had was the screen in the top of the sediment bowl. The screens were marginal, at best, for keeping dirt out of the carburetor. The newest an AC tractor could be is 39 years old (and gas tractors much older than that!). There is bound to be some rust/debris in the fuel tanks after that long.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:35am
Originally posted by wade89 wade89 wrote:

If the air filter isn’t hooked up, you can try temporarily choking it with your hand while the the engine is running and revved up. It’ll suck your hand to the throat and pretty much die, then you pull your hand off quick and she’ll rev back up. Repeat that process a couple times and you may get lucky where she’ll suck the blockage through. Trick I learned from Grandpa to get my B through the day raking hay on a rough field.
If the carbs been apart any time recently, it’s only about a 20 minute job to take it off and spray her out with cleaner without installing a new kit. Seem to have to do one every year in the hayfield on the tailgate of the truck.
Either way a good cleaning is in your future along with probably lining the tank when you get the time.

I forgot about this trick! I did it on a pickup that I buried to the windshield in mud being a stupid kid. Ah, to be young. Very expensive.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:41am
I'd forgotten, but a few months ago, I had to rob the Allis's tank for a lawn mower. I uncooked it at the carb and I kept having to shake and wiggle the line to get the fuel out. It'd run for a bit and I'd shake it more. It runs much faster now and you don't have to do that anymore, but...I don't have a sediment bowl. I'm wondering if it's possible there's crap just in the exit of the tank? Is that hard to come off? It looks like it all unscrews from the bottom and there's a screen in the tank???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 12:57pm
yep... unscrew the stand tube and then blow thru the cap or fill it with a hose, etc... and FLUSH out anything that is in the tank..
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 12:58pm

I'm draining the tanm to check it out. Here is 100 percent open on the tank petcock. Good? Bad?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:15pm
that looks like a good flow... assuming there is nothing FLOATING inside the tank to plug it at random times..
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 1:29pm
Inside, there are two black pieces of crap right by the tank outlet. I think I might have made a mistake in that I used an old Teflon pot to catch the fuel...they look like black Teflon and the pot itself is in bad shape. In which case, I need Engvall to give me my sign.

Edited by resurrection20 - 18 Mar 2024 at 1:31pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by resurrection20 resurrection20 wrote:

Inside, there are two black pieces of crap right by the tank outlet. I think I might have made a mistake in that I used an old Teflon pot to catch the fuel...they look like black Teflon and the pot itself is in bad shape. In which case, I need Engvall to give me my sign.

A request?Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:19pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:23pm
This is what my girl has been up to. I'm a SAHP to 22-month-old twin boys, lol. It's so hard to keep on top of stuff.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:31pm
*** UPDATE ***

I deserve no sign for there was not a scrap of Teflon in the tank. What I saw was a moth! And not a big, impressive moth. T'was a lowly little flitter that laid the mighty Allis low.

There was also a little stick thing, maybe a blade of grass, in the fuel line.

Additionally, where the gas was coming out the side of the carb, that screw had rattled loose about 3/4 turn. The one behind it 1/2. The other two 1/4 each. I didn't Tarzan them. Tighter isn't always better when it comes to carbs, I learned the hard way.

Edited by resurrection20 - 18 Mar 2024 at 10:34pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 10:37pm
You say you used gas from some other machine?

Very first thing I'd do, is drain it out.  Clean out the tank... refill with new fuel.

I had a guy bring me an engine that just wouldn't run right... it demanded the choke, dripped fuel out the bottom, wouldn't throttle up... he'd rebuilt the carb twice, replaced all the ignition... air filter, exhaust...

Turns out that the ethanol-blend gas he drained from his other machine was about as much water and saturated ethanol, as it was gasoline, so his fuel-to-air ratio was barely combustible.

When fuel sits, it separates based on specific gravity and solution.  Water falls to the very bottom.  Above that, is saturated ethanol... above that, heavy fractions of gasoline, and up top, ethanol.  Lighter fractions evaporate off, and any ethanol that's exposed to the top absorbs water from the atmosphere (it is hygroscopic) until too heavy to stay up top, then it falls to the second layer from the bottom...

Pulling out the choke draws more LIQUID, but only the combustible part constitutes fuel.

If that doesn't resolve it, check your spark timing, and exhaust/intake manifold and gaskets.  IF the gaskets are blown and leaking... or if there's a crack in the 'shared' portion of the manifold (where the exhaust heat helps warm the intake fuel-air mix), then it'll run terrible.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:00pm
I understand your concern friend, however; rest assured, I'm using non-ethanol 92 and it's only about a week old. The other tractor had an empty tank, but the fuel shutoff valve no longer shuts off and leaks like mad, so I drained it out and used it over here.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:10pm
sounds like your about it get it FIXED.... Spare "parts' inside the gas tank are never a good thing !! Wink
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

sounds like your about it get it FIXED.... Spare "parts' inside the gas tank are never a good thing !! Wink

The important part is that it's not my fault!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 5:48pm
Weeeeeeeelll, things are worse now. I flushed out the tank. Cleaned all the fuel lines.

I found out the problem was my filter. My old one was clogged and I had a newer Wix one that when you blow through it, air comes out, but as soon as you put it in line, nothing goes in. I swapped filters with my lawn mower. The mower is now fuel-starved and sad.

With the lawnmower filter on the tractor, plenty of fuel comes out the bottom of the carb bowl. More coming through than could possibly be burnt?

However if you leave the fuel turned on for 30 seconds, it'll be coming out the sides of the carburetor like crazy.

You have to drain the bowl to get it to start and then start it immediately after turning the fuel on.

It still stumbles, but now it backfires.

It still only runs with the choke full on, but now the smoke is black and stinks. Before you couldn't smell it.

It seems to have a little more power and oil pressure is better. It's much worse for the operator in terms of air quality and the exhaust pipe is turning black around the top like a diesel would, lol.

I tried to use the fuel shutoff valve to limit how much gas goes in, but didn't have much success.

My guess is that now it's too rich: Float is stuck or the needle and seat are worn.

If gas is coming out the side of the carb, that means air can get in, too?

Edited by resurrection20 - 19 Mar 2024 at 5:56pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:02pm
gas is coming out of the BOWL GASKET ??  The LEVEL should be about 1/2 inch below that... so YES.. you float is stuck, has a hole, or the needle is worn out !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:04pm
as the LEVEL Gets too high, the gas runs over the top lip into the throttle bore area and gets sucked into the motor for uncontrolled gas flow.... BLACK smoke is Excess fuel.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:12pm
My B would not run right with inline filter so I ended up just staying with the sediment bowl.  There are probably filters that work but the one I had was too restrictive.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic