This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pull type roll over plow ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pull type roll over plow ??
    Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:25am
Did any mfg make a pull type roll over plow ?
3/16 bottom or 4/14 ?

Common practice in our area is to plow the dirt up hill.
"And Yes, most of our ground is hilly"
And dead head back to the starting end of the field.
Which increases fuel consumption and time.

Even using a standard 3 bottom 3 point plow is difficult. The up and down swells in the field make it is hard to maintain plow depth.....

That is why I enquire about pull type.

Thanks in advance.

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:34am
My Wife's cousin has 2-bottom rollover pull type plow that he calls a Tumblebug; I think it was built by International. Supposedly that type was common in southern Idaho which is where their family farmed and brought this plow up north with them. I have never seen it in use though.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:52am
I have 2 two bottom snap coupler roll over plows.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 11:39am
I have a set of 2 bottom snap coupler roll overs but kinda run into adjustment issues on hill sides.

I get one direction set but the other direction won't plow properly.
They seem to work OK on FLAT ground....
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 3:05pm
My opinion on not being able to get the plow set in both positions is that one set of shears is worn way more than the other.  We had one with the same problem and that is what I decided.  I figured someone just used it one way and wore down that set of shears,

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 5:59pm
The veggy guys use to have them out here on the left coast. As the vast majority of tillage was with crawlers until the 1980's. I don't know of any sitting at this time. Besides 3000 mile might be a bit to far to come get one.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:14pm
I would really like to try a pull type roll over...

If for no other reason that no one else has one !
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:30pm
thier are a few in my areabut i dont know anyone that wants to get rid of them
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:57pm
Offset disk be the way to go? Neighbor couldn’t keep a 4 bottom in the ground (hilly) and ended up going that route.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:45pm
those disc plows only plow one direction  still have to have a rolloverif you want to throw the whole field the same direction unless you want to drive to the other end each round
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 9:17pm
I've never seen a roll-over pull plow. Have seen them in 3 pt and snap coupler hitches and once a J D pull type w/ 4 bottoms; 2 on left & 2 on right, that lifted 1 side then dropped the other side next time it was dropped in.  
 I'd like to see a picture of the pull type roll-over plow. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 9:47pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 4:29am
I think jd made a pull type 3 or 4 bottom, that changed by moving the hitch angle, sure had funny lookin moldboards and shares...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 7:53am
Great video, even features "Red Bibs Bill"! A buddy of kine has one of those tumble plows.
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 7:57am
I have the international 2 bottom at my place tumble type.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 10:41am
The best I could find,sorry there is not more. That is how they use to do it. Very common to see a Atlas plow sitting in equipment yards in the fresh vegetable growing areas. Did not know about the extra pictures.

Edited by Ray54 - 16 Apr 2024 at 10:47am
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 12:08pm
I know where a 3 point hyd. roll over is with a hill side cylinder 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 6:11pm
Les Kerf, thanks for posting the video. 
 I hadn't thought about the bottoms tumbling forward & not having a tail wheel. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

Les Kerf, thanks for posting the video. 
 I hadn't thought about the bottoms tumbling forward & not having a tail wheel. 

Thumbs Up
It looks pretty violent to me, I wonder how durable they were?

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:34am
Holy Moley never saw anything as such!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 7:43am
Had to rewatch it a couple times, definitely very interesting to say the least.
With that given design, I can’t imagine a 3 bottom, let alone a 4 bottom.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 3:39pm
Here's the jd 2 way, you can see how the whole plow switches, at about 3:45, in the video...Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Here's the jd 2 way, you can see how the whole plow switches, at about 3:45, in the video...Wink

It doesn't look like it would work very well in old sod.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:41pm
I don't believe it has any type of coulters on it so soil type & conditions would determine how well it works.  Those European plowing competitions use 2-way ploughs but they are all mounted.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 7:06pm
My Wife's family farmed in the Boise valley during the 1940's-1960's; my understanding is that the Tumblebug plows were used primarily on flat, flood-irrigated row crop fields with the intent of eliminating any dead furrows. I suspect they would not be very effective on hilly land, and they fell out of favor with the development of more powerful 3-point hitches that could handle 3-bottom or even 4-bottom rollover plows.

The Tumblebug plow in the video looks like it needed a lot of room at the headland to get turned around. They were purely ground-driven.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 11:07pm
I have also always heard of them being more common in areas where irrigation was common.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic