Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8287
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 5:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: two row corn planter
Posted By: DANinNY
Subject: two row corn planter
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 3:30pm
i just bought a two row corn planter , i think it originally had a snap coupler hitch this one has 3 pt hitch does anyone know what model it is ,where i can get a manual, and parts i paid $40 but its missing parts
found a picture of one like it at chatstractors.com http://www.chatstractors.com/1448-Allis-Chalmers-planter.htm - http://www.chatstractors.com/1448-Allis-Chalmers-planter.htm

Replies:
Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 5:14pm
Dan,  This is the basic Allis Chalmers corn planter that was also used on the G.  You could get them with runner openers or double disc openers.  Made in LaCross model LX-4962.  Manuals - check this site and check e-bay - they are available from time to time.
Got this information from Pop's 1960 price book.  At that time all we had was snap coupler or pin hitch.  Three point hitch came later.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Posted By: Dale H. ECIL
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:46am
I have a two row snap coupler planter like this one, also I have one with factory 3 point hitch, nether one is for sale. 

-------------
Allis Chalmers Museum, Paris, Il.http:// www.allischalmersmuseum.com 217-275-3428

Posted By: Wil M (NEIA)
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 9:51am

It would be an Allis Chalmers Drill Planter or have I seen it called a WD Drill Planter.  Best place for parts is probably by posting what you need here on the forum or by finding a parts machine someplace.  There was a manual listed on ebay not that long ago. 

Here is my planter mounted on my CA:

-------------
"Yet there are soulless men whose hand and brain tear down what time will never give again." Anderson M Scruggs

Posted By: orangereborn
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:12am
Danny...I have some parts planters.   Let me know what you need when you tackle it...Thanks...Dale

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:51pm
I'd like to have a planter like that. Can they be used to plant beans too?

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: GlenninPA
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 2:06pm
Brian,

With the right plates, they can plant dang near anything. When they are wore out, they won't plant dang near anything.

There were a passle of them at the Muncy, PA sale in December, if I had take a torch, I would have bought a couple and stripped them. Didn't want to leave anything there though, glad I didn't.....

Posted By: KY
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:05pm
I have a four row AC drill , its two two rows just like the ones pictured mounted on a  single tool bar. Are they very common?

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 3:20pm
KY - I have one as well.  They are not rare but I agree they are not common like the two row planters.  Mike

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Posted By: Chris (swIA)
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 5:56pm
I have one also. Mine had a pin hitch converted to snap coupler. Mine still has the markers as well.

Posted By: Wil M (NEIA)
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

I'd like to have a planter like that. Can they be used to plant beans too?
Yes they can.  That is what we are doing here, planting beans:

There are several different crops listed in the manual that can be planted with them. Like Glenn says, it just takes the right combination of seed plates. 

-------------
"Yet there are soulless men whose hand and brain tear down what time will never give again." Anderson M Scruggs

Posted By: DanD
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 10:34am
Here's one in action. That's my father driving.  He bought that planter about 20 years ago for $40 at an auction only because the only other guy bidding on it was the scrap man and he didn't want to see it go to scrap!  We have planted 50+bushel/acre beans and 200+ corn with that planter.  I have always said that the seed doesn't care if it's put in the ground with a $40 planter or a $40,000 planter![TUBE]43c1aQGaC5w[/TUBE]

Posted By: Eldon (WA)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 12:59pm
Here's mine...I plant corn and green beans using the same plate, set as thick as it will go.  I'd like to get some plates set up for pumpkins. Mine has the disc openers on it so it makes a pretty good furrow.  I unhook the drive chain and use it to lay out the rows for all the other vegetables. I am looking for another disc opener for mine since one has a tear and the rocks are making it worse.

-------------
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:

Posted By: Don(MO)
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:25pm
Hey Eldon, I have some disc openers if you need one I can help you out.
Don

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Posted By: ToddSin NY
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 2:32pm
Dan that is a beauty!

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 3:12pm
I am trying to figure out what they wont plant. I have plates that I plant radish seed with. mine also has the hill drop attachment for planting pumpkins, squash, Etc.

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 5:12pm
Ok, so does anybody have one they would part with? I'm looking to take over my 10 acres.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: Darrell Roberts
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:16pm
Have one I took completly apart and restored a couple years ago. Was a fun project, wouldn't part with it.

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 6:52pm
Darrell, That is one sweet lookin rig. Wanna come down and plant some corn for me this spring? LOL You would have to run your wheels out a bit.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Darrell Roberts
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 7:09pm
I actually planted sweet corn with it last year and I did move the wheels out a bit. Just hooked up there right after it was done for pictures.

Posted By: Larry Miller
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
I have a two row planter that looks much like the one above that has not been painted for sale. I am near the quad cities in IL. Asking $400 Can send pictures if interested. Has a home made 3 pt hitch on it but I have the SC parts. Thanks, Larry Miller

-------------
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.

Posted By: PennsylvaniaNewt
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 9:40pm
Would this planter plant watermellons or cantelopes?

Posted By: mnoonan-NEWI
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:12am
This is my 2 row planter. I hope to to get it restored this summer.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:42am
What are the two arms that have discs on them used for?

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:50am
PennsylvaniaNewt, those are markers that you drop to leave a line in the dirt to follow with the center of the tractor to maintain row spacing.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 10:11am
O ok!  I used to help my grandfather on his farm during the summer growing up but never got to get educated on planting etc.

Posted By: DSG
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:00pm
My 83 year old grandfather who still actively farms told me that his planter needs a few parts.  He needs the fertilizer shoes (i guess that's what they are called) and I think the plates.  I have searched the net like crazy and haven't been able to find anything.  He is the Williamsport, PA area.  I have pics if that would help identify the parts.  Used to be a place between Danville and Muncy that had alot of this stuff but I don't think they are in business anymore.   Any help would be appreciated.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by DSG DSG wrote:

My 83 year old grandfather who still actively farms told me that his planter needs a few parts.  He needs the fertilizer shoes (i guess that's what they are called) and I think the plates.  I have searched the net like crazy and haven't been able to find anything.  He is the Williamsport, PA area.  I have pics if that would help identify the parts.  Used to be a place between Danville and Muncy that had alot of this stuff but I don't think they are in business anymore.   Any help would be appreciated.

I have a set of the fertilizer shoes. I am in the great state of Mo. let me know if you think he might need them. Don

-------------
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:37am
Don, would those disc openers be the same as the coulters on the G plow? I could use a couple.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Posted By: Mark in Iowa
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:41am

I have a '39 B. Can the same planter be used behind it? It would just need a different hitch?  Thanks for the help, Mark

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 8:58am

Don   I tried to load pics on there but they were too big.  I could e-mail them too you to verify the part.  He said there were two styles made of this part.  Let me know if these are what you have I'd certainly be interested.

There is a number on the side of the shoe (which sits behind the discs on each side) is 335845, I'm assuming this is a part number.

The second parts he is looking for is a disc with teeth on that sits at the bottom of the fertilizer bin.  The number on it is 312477. 

He said that he had the manual and parts book for it several years ago but isn't sure where it is.

Thanks for your help.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:05am
Those parts should still be available from AGCO. But pricey..... I paid $90 for new shoes a couple yrs ago, can't recall what I got into the fertilizer parts...

Posted By: tomdavison
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:51pm
I recently purchased a two row planter.  I live 40 miles north of Williamsport Pa.  I have not had a chance to look it over.  I am away in Arizona for a couple of months.  I need to have a hitch made for a B.  No row markers and fertilizer boxes have been replaced with fiberglass boxes.  Hope to use it next year

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 2:00pm
Tom,

PM me when you get home. I have the B hitch on mine, can send pictures or might even bring it over to visit? Hope you enjoy AZ!

Glenn

Posted By: EricPA
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by DSG DSG wrote:

Hello DSG, First of all welcome, I live in Turbotville and the place you are referring to is probably Nichols farm equipment on the other side of Jerseytown and they are still an Agco dealer. However for these parts Jr. Fry at Fry's equipment behind Pennsdale would have these parts

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:08pm
DSG is the part you are looking for on this page, Maybe the fertilizer divider?
I will look at the feed plates for the part # and post what I have in them lather.
Don

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
DSG, Are you needing the feed plates on this pic what you are talking about?
Don

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:41pm
Don

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:44pm
Don
Thanks for the diagrams.  It is the divider that I was looking for but it's not of that design.  I think my grandfather said the planter was about 40 years old.  But not sure when it was manufactured.  Those are the feed plates I was talking about.  There is a piece underneath with three long metal teeth.

I'll try to get a pic up.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:54pm

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:57pm
GlenninPA and Eric PA,

Thanks for the info.  As kids I remember one in Jerseytown where he got parts not sure if it's still open.  I'll have to look.  Thanks for all your help.  Sorry the pics are so large.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:58pm

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:02am
OK now I know you have gate type fertilizer units on the planter. I posted pics of the gear type units sorry about that.
I'll look for the right parts in the shop and get back to you later on today.
Don

-------------

Posted By: EricPA
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 8:12am
Hello Tom,
I get through Canton weekly with my feed delivery job, sure was a quiet area BEFORE the gas drilling started. If you need the row markers I have a set for sale. Eric

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 11:51am
You know, this is one OLD post.  Did you check the first entry FEBRUARY 2010.
When I saw it come up again I thought I had replied some time ago.  I never realized that it was some 4 months ago.  We were probably deep in snow then.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Posted By: Bkamusic
Date Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:42pm
I know this is an old post, but do you still have any of the feetilizer gears and boxes for a two row snap couple planter. Thanks.

Posted By: breedman
Date Posted: 16 May 2020 at 2:34am
I'm also looking for a pair of fertilizer dividers for my 3 point Allis planter.They are a little wore out at the bottom and always plugs up with dirt 

-------------
175D 170D 170G D17 (2)D15 WD45

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net