Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71195
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: HARVEY-V12 GENERATOR
Posted By: big al
Subject: HARVEY-V12 GENERATOR
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:40am
THIS IS A UPDATE FROM THE POST LAST FALL ABOUT THE ALLIS BUILT V8-V12 ENGINES.I HAD A LEAD ABOUT THESE ENGINES FROM A FORMER ALLIS MECHANIC THAT USED TO WORK FOR DD KENNEDY(ALLIS CONST DEALER)THAT THERE WAS ALLIS 65000 GENERATOR(V12) IN THE BASEMENT OF THE HOSPITAL IN HARVEY,IL.I THOUGHT THE THING WOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED A LONG TIME AGO.ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO I GOT CURIOUS AND MADE THE CALL. I FOUND OUT THAT NOT ONLY WAS THE V12 STILL THER AND RUNNING AS A EMERGENCY GENERATOR,BUT IT WAS SCHEDULED TO BE REPLACED ANY WEEK!!!!TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT IT,IT IS SITTING AT MY SHOP IN WESTVILLE,IN.(INFO-ALLIS-CHALMERS 65000 V-12 ENGINE-6X6 B/S,2037CI,TWIN TURBO,900HP,BUILT DEC.1972-)I FILMED THE OLD HARVEY ENGINE PLANT AND GENERATOR REMOVAL AND WILL HAVE A LINK TO UTUBE SHORTLY.

Replies:
Posted By: Calvin Schmidt
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:52am
That a great peice of good timeing. It's always good to follow your instinks ASAP.
I know where there are two others, one with the A-C 550 KW generator and the other
with another brand generator. I have literature. Very interesting engines. I can't find any information that the V-8 version ever went into production.

-------------
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed

Posted By: ACcrazy
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:08am
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the youtube vid.

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 7:48pm
congratulations, that is quite a score.

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 12:33am
And excellent timing!  I'm always a week too late.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 5:12am
Theres another in St Louis that i ran across,, still like brand new!

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:06am
TO ELABERATE ON CALS THREAD,THE V8'S DID NOT GO INTO PRODUCTION-THEY WERE USED FOR TESTING UNITS.ALLIS SAID THER WAS A STRONGER MARKET FOR THE V12.APARENTLY FROM MY SERVICE BULLITAINS THAT WASN'T THE CASE,MY BULLJTAINS ONLY SHOW TO SERIAL #55.THE ENGINE FROM HARVEY IS SERIAL #6.I WOULD GUESS ALLIS MADE THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?MAYBE SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS MORE OF THE STORY.

Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:55pm
Video yet?

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 6:06am
DON-TALKED TO MY GUY,WORKING ON THE VIDEO THIS WEEKEND.HOPEFULLY WILL BE DONE IN A DAY OR SO.

Posted By: ACjack
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by big al big al wrote:

TO ELABERATE ON CALS THREAD,THE V8'S DID NOT GO INTO PRODUCTION-THEY WERE USED FOR TESTING UNITS.ALLIS SAID THER WAS A STRONGER MARKET FOR THE V12.APARENTLY FROM MY SERVICE BULLITAINS THAT WASN'T THE CASE,MY BULLJTAINS ONLY SHOW TO SERIAL #55.THE ENGINE FROM HARVEY IS SERIAL #6.I WOULD GUESS ALLIS MADE THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS?MAYBE SOMEBODY OUT THERE KNOWS MORE OF THE STORY.
EX engine plant employee here; just found this thread and I know it's an old thread but, I believe I can add to the knowledge base for these special engines. I was one of the first builders (not assemblers) of the proto type V12 production engines.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 4:49pm
Well ACjack, go ahead and spill your guts if u wish. Is there a video of the start/running of these engine?

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:46pm
Not that I'm aware of but, I do know that there was a story on the V 12 in the company news magazine. Big Al said in another thread that he'd gotten a hold of some pictures.

Posted By: grinder220
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm
Sooooooo...do we get to see a video of this monster running? I'd love to hear it run.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 5:58am
There is a video on Youtube of them lifting the engine out of the hospital. The engine was at the GOTO in LaPorte this summer and it was running. Very impressive! There must be a video of that some where.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

One of the earlier gen sets was sent out to Tucson, AZ. It was the back up power for Bio-sphere 2.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

There is a video on Youtube of them lifting the engine out of the hospital. The engine was at the GOTO in LaPorte this summer and it was running. Very impressive! There must be a video of that some where.
I've watched that video earlier this year but I want see one of it running. Anyone know how many RPMs it turns? That thing has to bellar.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by ACjack ACjack wrote:

One of the earlier gen sets was sent out to Tucson, AZ. It was the back up power for Bio-sphere 2.
I'd love to get a hold off one of those engines and squeeze it into my 8550.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 4:35pm
I remember reading that before Allis went under in 85' that they where working on designs for a 900 hp tractor, was this the engine they were going to use?

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:02pm
Still waiting on the startup/ running video

-------------

1968 D15D,1962 D19D

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by grinder220 grinder220 wrote:

I've watched that video earlier this year but I want see one of it running. Anyone know how many RPMs it turns? That thing has to bellar.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:15pm

Being in a 60 hertz gen set the rpm's would have to be 1,800

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm

I remember reading that before Allis went under in 85' that they where working on designs for a 900 hp tractor, was this the engine they were going to use?

Don't know about that but, one of the first 12 engines built was a 61000 (800 hp @ 2100 rpm's) that was sent down to Springfield, IL. We heard it was going into a HD41.

Posted By: Tim NH
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:11pm
This picture was taken a Laporte last summer.

-------------
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
Cannot remember the model year but it was a Freightliner COE while I worked in Salt Lake City in 1980/81 that a fiend had a Allis inline engine. Could possibly have been a 78 or 79 model year as had a lot of miles and parts were getting hard to come by. We ran for IML Eagle Division(Special Commodities). He traded it that year on a KW K100C with a Cat 3406.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Cannot remember the model year but it was a Freightliner COE while I worked in Salt Lake City in 1980/81 that a fiend had a Allis inline engine. Could possibly have been a 78 or 79 model year as had a lot of miles and parts were getting hard to come by. We ran for IML Eagle Division(Special Commodities). He traded it that year on a KW K100C with a Cat 3406.

A fiend in need is a fiend indeed...

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:30am
I got this out of my book The Allis Chalmers Story.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
By my calculations it is 1357 c.i.d.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 8:56pm

The V-12 was 2035 cu.in.   The V-8 was 1357 cu.in.  Serial # 43 is near me.  I have seen 3  V-12's and heard two run. First learned about the V-12 and saw my first one about 7 years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm

Serial # 43 is near me
Was it sold through a dealer by the name of John (G?) Steel? We shipped a lot of gen sets and some V12 sets up there also. 

Posted By: Brent1999
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
I think I'm taking serial #51 out of a hospital know trying to find a weight for it for crane company

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:33pm
Literature states the genset weight as 13,500 lbs or so. 

-------------

Posted By: Jim Allen
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 10:54am
Working on a story on one of these engines for my "Vintage Smoke" Column in Diesel World Magazine. Larry Mayer has #33 and it mounts an actual Allis-Chalmers generator. Larry says not all of them did. I'm getting info from him but since there is never too much information, I'm reaching out here as well. I have PM'ed a couple of guys that posted here but if anyone eesle has some.... Larry got #33 about 8 years back and it's now mounted on a trailer. Like most, it came out of a hospital. He says only 53 V12s were made and he knows of six survivors, including his.

-------------
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 12:33pm
To the best of my knowledge all of the V12 gen sets left the Harvey Engine plant with Allis Chalmers generators. Maybe some confusion about the "make" of generator since some of them were made in Appleton Wisconsin and others were made by Lima in Ohio. 

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:05am
I have #43 in my shed. It is not running. Does not have an AC generator. Jack will likely have the most info. I do have specs and brochures. I did set up Larry to get his V-12 out of PA. 

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:36am
Those are impressive ! Guess it was gold color from the factory?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 10:15am
Calvin; look at the manufacture's name plate on the generator itself. If it doesn't give a manufactures name it will state where it was made. Look for Appleton Wisconsin or Lima Ohio. Those were the only 2 places the generators were sourced from.
 Any idea as to why its not running?

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 10:23am

Those are impressive ! Guess it was gold color from the factory?
 Only the very first couple of generator sets were painted yellow and all of the rest were painted the standard copper color that was used on all of the other generator sets with the exception of a few that were painted a light blue and sold to and shipped to Dawson & Keth in England that that were made. 

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 11:14am
What is the latest count on survivors... and their serial numbers if possible? Larry said he heard of six. I think we can account for four here on this thread... though I had better go back and check.

I believe  Larry spoke of your generator, Calvin. He didn't mention you by name, just that he knew of one that had a different brand of generator head on it.

I am trying hard to get the production dates lined out. Looks like '72 or '73 but I'd like to know better.

Has a firm production number been established?  52-56 is the range people talk about. Larry says 53 but admits that number came from someone else.

I am researching to see what technical roots there are... i.e. is this two sixes put together? In my info, I don't see any other engines with a 6 x 6-inch bore and stroke... but, admittedly, my info on A-C power unit and generators is lacking. I have Diesel Engine Catalogs from '60 and '65 that include A-C engines but there might have been a 6x6 engine after that.

-------------
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 12:05pm
Here is the tag from the generator on #33

-------------
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net