Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49091
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:25pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Allis Tie Rods
Posted By: cjgrauer
Subject: Allis Tie Rods
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:36pm
OK,  I have orange blood and love Allis Chalmers but I got to say this:  Their tie rod system sucks!  I have a D-15 and wanted to adjust the front axles back in a couple holes where I think they should be.  Everything went really well until I got to the part where you adjust the tie rods.  Is there a trick to that?  I used heat, penetrating oil, force, lots of cussing, dirty looks, and everything in my shop I could think of and finally ended up ruining on and damn near destroying the other one.  What is the deal?  One guy told me to use an angle grinder and lengthen the slit on the tube end.  That didn't work either and besides it would look like garbage when you were done.  What is the best way to free up the tubes?

Replies:
Posted By: GregLawlerMinn
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:05pm
Heat gun (Oxy-Acetelene torch) is what I used on mine. Also had pipe wrenches to break them loose once the outer tube was red.
Wire brush clean, use a small dia wire brush on ID and use never seize when reassembling.

-------------
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:26pm
What i did on my B after i had done most of the  things you mention plus tieing it to a tree  and pulling with D/14 , I put it on piece of railroad iron and started beating with a one pound hammer When you beat on it  it will cause outside to strech  then turn with pipe wrench . It will tye  with getting brake drums of a B . Good Luck! 

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
Don't blame Allis for this one. All tie rod ends are like this esp after 40-50 yrs. I work on trucks a lot. You should try that after a 2-3 yrs. Take the whole assembly off and beat it all around with a BFH. Then they will usually come apart. Try to avoid heat as that will pull all the threads in most cases.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:55pm
On the sliding outer tube I just heat and make sure every bit that is in contact with the solid rod has been red hot. Then use pipe wrench. So far it's worked every time. They get never seize going back together.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: nsula_country
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
I second the advice given. Remove complete tie rod assembly. Then heat, spray with penetrating oil, beat on it with a BFH and then pipe wrenches or a vice and a pipe wrench. Once apart, wire brush shaft and as much as you can in the tube. Then coat with a good never-seize like Bostick or Loctite.

Good Luck!

CT

-------------
2014 LS P7010C, 1962 Farmall 504 Diesel (1st tractor) w/ 2008 Koyker 220 FEL, 1968 Allis Chalmers 180 Diesel, Komatsu PC38UU-2 Excavator, Various attachments for all!

Posted By: Rayhowling
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 10:38pm
On my 1955 CA which my dad bought and I have had it for the last 40 years the tie rods have not been a problem. The first 20 years we cut our hay, cultivated corn and moved the wheels in and out several times each summer for the different jobs we used it for. We would put just a bit of oil and they never seized on us. I bought a 180 3 years ago and had a awful job to get the tie rods free. Once I had them free I put anti-seize  on and now have a hard time keeping them tight. I have used gas to clean the tie rods clean and still have to make them very tight to keep them from sliding.

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 5:45am
I like how IH put notches in the tie rod with a bolt to lock it in place so they can't mover when well greased. I've had to remove grease too on the 190 to keep it from moving. I wonder if there is a tie rod like IH's to fit the Allis?

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net