Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=200632
Printed Date: 13 Jun 2024 at 4:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zero turn mower troubles
Posted By: bobkyllo
Subject: Zero turn mower troubles
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 5:07am
I've got a Husqvarna zero turn that I bought with a junk motor. I fixed it and mowed with it for a season. Everything seemed good. Both sticks were even, as in both drive motors seem to be in sync.

Any way the mower sat for probably a month from the last mowing until leaf grinding time/ winter storage time. Starts fine drives fine kick on the deck it dies. I had to bring it to the shop to fix it. Pulled the two wheel motor release rods so that I could tow it back. Fixed the no start, pushed rods back in and now only one side will work.

What am I getting into here? I can't believe the one wheel motor is junk just like that. Any one have troubles like this before

Replies:
Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 6:17am
most of those rods either punch in a relief button, or turn a relief valve, be sure the rod isn’t slipping on the part it’s turning, I had a Walker mower that did this years ago, a piece of grit got in the way when the relief went down, wouldn’t let it pop back up without some cleaning 

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: Kenny L.
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 6:29am
x2 what Joe say

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 4:18pm
Follow Joe's advice. My Toro did that, after needing to tow it to garage. When repaired 1 side evidently didn't fully go back into place. I squirted a bit of penetrant on the little valve And about 5 or 6 more tries and both sides worked again. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:05pm
I see nothing to clean, oil, etc. The rod moves a lever on the side of the hydro unit. It obviously must move something in the hydro unit but I'm unsure what or how to even go about fixing it.

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 11:39pm
At this point I would call a Husky service guy....

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 4:49am
Find the tag on the hydro unit, and post its info, here.  That way we know what system is used...

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 6:10am
Hmm...Most HSTs I've seen have a spring to return and keep the rod in on place or the other. That way it doesn't 'wander' off to the wrong end....

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 9:19pm
The drive unit is just a swashplate hydrostatic pump fed to a hydraulic motor.

The bypass function is nothing more than a valve that opens from one side of the hydraulic motor to the other, so that when you attempt to spin the motor (in towing) thre can be flow from one side to the other without the pump spool turning.

Most likely, the valve is stuck... and they do, because they're rarely used.  Without dismantling it, the other way is to spray penetrant into it, put it together, start it up, and wave the control handle back and forth a bunch to free up the valve and allow it to close up.  it is NOT a problem worthy of a hundred-dollar service trip.

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: Codger
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 7:04am
It's like Dave Kamp stated and common on Husqvarna and several other brands for this to happen. It is usually a stuck relief plunger that operates the bypass valve internally. Pressure wash, lube, and vibration via a "Love Tapper" will usually exercise them and then a couple of times per mowing season exercise the linkage when the mower is routinely greased.

-------------
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.

Date Posted: 02 May 2024 at 2:58am
I got it guys!!! I oiled it a few times. Last weekend I went working on the fleet to get them ready for spring. I did as suggested and banged on the area the tow lever hooks to. By golly she moves again.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net