Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135379
Printed Date: 26 May 2024 at 2:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Plowing in February
Posted By: AC7060IL
Subject: Plowing in February
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:52pm
I spread Lime & dry fertilizer on frozen fields in December. Then, plowed thawed fields in February. Not the usual.  Here's some photos to enjoy. 

Looking down the hood of the 7060 while spreading lime in the chopped corn stalks.

Replies:
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:54pm
This lime spreader did such a good job. It's calibration settings were very close. I spread 1000 lbs in some areas & 2000 lbs in other areas of same field.

Posted By: Creek Jenkins
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:55pm

-------------
Have spacesuit, will travel

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:57pm
This is a great shot. The sun is actually on the left behind the cab corner. What you see between the wiper & exhaust muffler is a Sun-Dog in the late December afternoon. 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:02pm
This was yesterday. Plow is an AC 2000 moonbeam 6-18s. Tractor is AC 7060 in 1st-High-high button @ 4.7mph. 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:04pm
This is a shot of the furrow out the smaller window under the main windshield. Sorry about the blur.

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:14pm
You plowed your dry fertilizer down that deep???

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

You plowed your dry fertilizer down that deep???

Tbone95, thanks for the reply. To answer - Not as a rule. My lime & fertilizer application timing was not usual for this year, either. Last summer & falls rains/storms enabled weeds a foothold, plus delayed harvest right up to Thanksgiving. Then conditions were muddy. So, I waited until a freeze to apply product so as not to cut ruts. I also wanted to plow under corn stalks & waterhemp seed. That weed has become a problem. So yes, I would rather have plowed after harvest, then applied lime & fertilize on top. Basically, working with how the weather allows. To a further extent, I also no-til. That keeps the plow in the shed. But, this field's weed problem demanded otherwise.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Creek Jenkins Creek Jenkins wrote:

Creek Jenkins, thanks for the laugh!!

Posted By: shameless (ne)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:01pm
I like your: pics, front tires, and that's sum good ole black dirt!

Posted By: wheatbreeder
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
plowing the fertilizer and lime may seem deep, thought plant roots will draw nutrients from 0- 6 inches. the plow will mix fertilizer through the plow depth not just flip it to the bottom of the furrow 

-------------
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 7:22pm
YEP.......... that IS some good looking dirt !!

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Plowking77
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 7:33pm
That's some nice pictures,, that's a nice looking plow too,, don't think that plow has sit outside very much lol

Posted By: Ed (Ont)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
Where in Illinois are you? That is a big plow. Looks good.

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:17pm
Dad always said; "best time to spread fertilizer is on top of snow".

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Plowking77 Plowking77 wrote:

That's some nice pictures,, that's a nice looking plow too,, don't think that plow has sit outside very much lol

Thanks for your compliments. The plow has a history. I bought it from a farmer In the Fisher, IL area back in 2006. He had an auction of his older equipment, as he was changing equipment brands cause the Fisher AC dealership closed & he was tired of driving for parts & service. I remember meeting him prior to the auction to view/drive his tractors 1981 7060 & 82' 8070. All of his equipment had been excellently maintained. I put in some absentee bids cause I couldn't be at auction. Anyway, I was severely outbid on tractors, but won the plow (he had two AC 2000 6-18s, one for 7060, one for 8070). I was picking up the plow when the farmer's Dad lent me a hand loading it on my trailer. The Dad said that I got the better one. Said it was new in 1984 & was a Show Demo item in the 1984 Farm Progress Show held near Fisher. After the show, it sat on the Fisher AC dealership lot for too long (a year?). So, dealer made them a great purchase deal on it. The moldboard ID tag wires are still on the back supports on each bottom. I think a few tags are still on it (392s I believe).

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:43am
Originally posted by wheatbreeder wheatbreeder wrote:

plowing the fertilizer and lime may seem deep, thought plant roots will draw nutrients from 0- 6 inches. the plow will mix fertilizer through the plow depth not just flip it to the bottom of the furrow 

Hmmm.....to some extent maybe. In my opinion, a plow would be a terribly ineffective mixer. Not totally unmixed, but not good at it at all.

Hey, whatever. I didn't mean any offense of course.

Posted By: farmboy520
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:16am
Hey Ac7060il where in IL are you? There has been a lot of activity around my area as of late with fertilizer and NH3 going on and I have heard others are plowing also.

Posted By: wheatbreeder
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:51am
Hey Tbone95 I agree about the plow being the best of mixing. I broadcast all of the all of  fertilizer on top at planting time and incorporate it so the fertilizer is in the top three inches 

-------------
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD

Posted By: VAfarmboy
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 5:56pm
Does everyone still moldboard plow out there?  

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by VAfarmboy VAfarmboy wrote:

Does everyone still moldboard plow out there?  

No. Most conventional tillage programs are using disk-chisels or disk-rippers in the fall. As I stated earlier, I choose to plow this field in attempt to bury waterhemp weed seed.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

Hey Ac7060il where in IL are you? There has been a lot of activity around my area as of late with fertilizer and NH3 going on and I have heard others are plowing also.

Christian County - Taylorville area. Yes, lots of fertilizer going on fields here this week also.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

I like your: pics, front tires, and that's sum good ole black dirt!

Shameless, thanks for your compliments. Those front tires (18.4-16s) where off the rear of a gleaner L2. I like how they float & still grip for turning. TopSoil is about 24" deep of #46 Herrick Silt Loam. B horizon is a yellow clay. Field tiles spaced every 60' and at 30" deep. Tiles run about 80-90% of the time. Without tile, I wouldn't have been plowing this early.

Posted By: Jwmac7060
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:04pm
I'd like to have some black dirt like that

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Jwmac7060 Jwmac7060 wrote:

I'd like to have some black dirt like that

Wouldn't we all Jwmac, wouldn't we all. I've been leveling up fall chiseled ground all week and it's workin good. Can't ever remember workin ground in feb before. Strange start to the year, I hope its a good sign.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:27am
Dad told of an unuasually early spring, fellows got out and planted oats and eventually  along came may and they planted their corn... the oats stayed short and spindly, the corn froze out and the hustle to replant didn't amount to much either... said the seed would have been better left in the bag... the only good crops were the 2nd year hay fields. 
 Saying the above, doesn't mean this year will be the same like that year.

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
All signs point to a draught...We've already started missing rains...Supposed to be 30 degrees with snow flurries tomorrow...It 72 here right now so we are supposed to have storms tonight

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:33pm
We got the temp drops and the snow..........Not as bad as they predicted, Thank God!!

I was golfing on Wednesday!!  IN A Tee Shirt!!  Who'd a thunk...

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:34pm
I disked a hay field a couple weeks ago, gonna plant pumpkins in it.  Lots of guys plowing the last few weeks, a friend planted barley on Wednesday.  Got snow yesterday and only in the low 30's today.  Getting a bit worried as our fruit trees in Western Colorado are budding out, over a month too early.  Time will tell...

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:47pm
Dafodils are up here and the wheat really did never go dormant...Hope it doesn't get too cold

Posted By: Dgrader
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 4:06am
My grass could stand to be mowed. I am not mowin in feb.

-------------
Ya cain't fix stupid.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:11am
Interesting read. Plowing is unheard of here in my area. I do have a plow just like the one in the pictures, but I just bought it because it was Allis, was at a "give away price," and was like brand new. Maybe I'll go try it out sometime, somewhere behind a hill so no one will see me. Darrel

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:47am
I filled up my AC7060's fuel tanks so I could figure fuel consumption while plowing this field.
It consumed an averaged of 2.18 gallons per acre. So, per each gallon, the 426 (670I 3700) engine pulled the AC 2000 6-18" plow (108" or 9' width), 2220 feet.
Figuring a 5-7% wheel slippage, at 4.5mph, it should have 4.2mph actual average speed.
4.2mph equals 22,176'/hr divided by 2220'/gal fuel equals 9.98 gal/hr.

The tractordata.com Nebraska Tractor test results show 10.0-10.3 gal/hr consumption rate for AC7060 power director in 1st slow high gear.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:32am
Would you say then, since you were ate 9.98 gal/hr, you were about maxed out on HP? Did it feel like it? Seems that would be hard to do continuously in the dirt rather than on the track at the Nebraska lab...

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:38am
No ,it was definitely not maxed out on hp. No grunting - just a good moderate tillage load.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:45am
Unlike the Nebraska Test's Max load pulling in 1st Slow hi gear, my 7060 was plowing in 1st Fast Hi gear.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:09am
Just to clarify, you are in fast range and high PD (floor buttons), and Nebraska was at slow range, high floor button?

Interesting....and Nebraska's max pull isn't necessarily max HP either....just interesting. Your gear was 4.5mph, that's a good plowing speed I would think.

Posted By: Bill Long
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:06am
I can never get over the RICH BLACK SOIL you are blessed to have in Central Illinois.
Lot better than our red clay rock in central Maryland.
Nice looking unit.  Outstanding plow.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:09am
Yes, 1st Fast, High button.
It was not set at highest throttle.
Running at 300rpms less full throttle (2000rpm).
Its a black 1979 53xx hr tractor.
I had fuel pump rebuilt to stock hp 10 years ago.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:58am
Someone the other day was asking about how to set up tractor for plowing with an AC 2000 plow, so I thought I'd share a few photos. 
This photo shows the tractor's right wheels moved out so they will run in the furrow & rear duals on land side. AC's rear power shift rims make this job easy.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:01pm
This photo shows the tractor's rear power shift rim slid out & its weights. Those are 4 - 300 lb weights. The 18.4-38's do not have any fluid in them.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm
This photo shows the AC 2000 plow's lower 3pt adjustable hitch beam. Please note how the plow's hitch beam bolts can be loosened and it can be slid either way, then retightened. It is positioned nearer to the furrow side. That setting allows the plow's centerline of draft to align more closely to the centerline of the tractor. In addition, when you move the tractor's right wheels into the furrow, it aids in keeping both centerlines nearer to alignment. It's not perfect, but close.

Also, note the adjustable rod heights of the tractor's lower 3pt arms. The arm (near the furrow) has been screwed all the way up (no threads showing on height rod). The other arm (on land side) is set about 2" lower (has 2" of threads showing on height rod). These height rods are used to level the plow once the tractor's right wheels enters furrow. The tractor will set on a slight angle with half it's wheels in furrow & the other half on land side. Once plow is level, adjust the plow's height gauge wheel to accommodate it while running.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:42pm
I always am baffled at how 2" on the lift linkage levels a plow when you're sitting 8" or more in a furrow. I do it too, I see it in the manuals, it's just "weird", that's all.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:46pm
This photo shows the tractor's front axle (furrow side) has been moved out. Please note that both the axle & tie-rod get repositioned. The axle will usually move easily. The tie-rod can be a bear to move if it has not been moved in a few years. For a stubborn tie-rod, I discovered that heating the outer tie-rod tube with a torch & spraying a mix of ATF/WD40 lube it's ends helps free up it's inside rust. Once freed up, apply grease or anti-seize to tie-rod before moving in back to it's narrow position.

Posted By: Dans 7080
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:10pm
Tbone take an 8ft straight edge and make one end 8" lower than the other. Measure the drop in the center 3ft. It will be a lot less than the 8".

-------------
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Dans 7080 Dans 7080 wrote:

Tbone take an 8ft straight edge and make one end 8" lower than the other. Measure the drop in the center 3ft. It will be a lot less than the 8".

True, not a bad analogy. Just seems like the furrow, lift arm, and connection to the plow aren't all that far apart, but apparently it works out.

In your example, it's an inch per foot, so at 3 feet, 3 inches of drop.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

This photo shows the tractor's front axle (furrow side) has been moved out. Please note that both the axle & tie-rod get repositioned. The axle will usually move easily. The tie-rod can be a bear to move if it has not been moved in a few years. For a stubborn tie-rod, I discovered that heating the outer tie-rod tube with a torch & spraying a mix of ATF/WD40 lube it's ends helps free up it's inside rust. Once freed up, apply grease or anti-seize to tie-rod before moving in back to it's narrow position.

When I got my 7045, stuff hadn't been moved in a very long time obviously. No powershift rims, torque and beat was the method. Wow what a bunch of work! Like you said, the front axel moves a bit easier than the tie rod, but they were plenty stubborn as well. The last thing I tried to move was the left front wheel out. Doesn't have a plowing function per se, but just to get it more centered to the rear wheel and for, well, cosmetic purposes even. I heated it, beat on it, beat on it with an air hammer, at one time I had almost the whole thing cherry read and submersed it in an old creamer can full of oil. Twice. Boy that was a stinky smokey mess. But it never did move. So if you ever see a 7045 coming at you and the front tires appear a bit oddly positioned.....It could be me!

Posted By: Dans 7080
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm
In the 8' 8" analogy, any 1' of the straight edge would have a 1" drop. Any 3',3" and 2',2" and so on.

You are a faster types than I am!

-------------
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:26pm
Yeah, I made an edit up there, that's a simple one.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm
This photo shows the AC 2000 plow's tilt & trailering angle when it's out of the ground. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:38pm
That's another chunk of math that doesn't work out to me....You have an in-furrow plow. So the RH tires are in the furrow that bottom #1 is going to cover. So within a couple inches of clearance (for lack of a better word) the inside of the RH rear tire would have to be about 54 inches from the center of the tractor in order to be centered, no? Is that even possible? On my 7045 it is not possible.

Of course center of draft is an interesting concept. Tractor isn't level, so the lower tire gets more weight. Lower tire often times is on more firm ground for better traction, except when it's not like in greasy clay and the on land tire has some sod to hang on to, oh, and put duals up there for kicks! Hahaha. Just a lot going on setting up a plow.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
I can see it becoming parallel to the line of draft, but not at the center of draft, or even all that close....I have a 6 bottom in furrow plow, not an AC. I don't remember the exact dimension the plow book called for to the CENTER of the rear tire, but I think it was 34 inches? Something very close to that anyway.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

I can never get over the RICH BLACK SOIL you are blessed to have in Central Illinois.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Bill, Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this area's soils are Blessed. Here is a weblink that talks about (what I call GOD'S glaciers) the ice glaciers that created the Illinois' soils. Its a good read.  http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/glaciers-smooth-surface" rel="nofollow - http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/glaciers-smooth-surface

You can see the IL Rt 16 moraine hills (Charleston, Shelbyville, Litchfield) where an ice flow retreated & melted). Like a giant bulldozer that stops pushing dirt, it left a line of hills, mostly on the south side of the highway. North of that highway, its flat. Another moraine is located farther north across IL Rt 9 (Bloomington - Gibson City, Paxton, Hoopeston). I believe these glaciers bulldozed rock, sediment, soils from areas as far north as Canada's Hudson Bay, US's great lakes, & everywhere in between. Look how Lake Michigan is predominately laying north to south. There is a water aquifer (under ground gravel & sand deposit) called the "Mahomet Aquifer". It stretches from near the southern tip of Lake Michigan south-southwest towards Mahomet and ends Just north of Taylorville by Willeys Station. You can dig down 40' in these areas and have upwards of a 1000 gallon of water a minute for wells. Lots of towns fill their water towers from it.   

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm
record heat here in northern utah and things are budding out and i have snowmobileing from the house years before on this date i disced the garden last week just because  but i still dont dare plant the garden until until the 15 of may. and one of my customers planted 70acres of barley the other day

Posted By: dt1050
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:22am
no worries about plowing in feb. in pa.  but we do spread the manure when we think the last snow is coming.  which in pa could be july!Angry  for our garden we will till the ground one direction as soon as the frost leaves the ground, pile on the manure and let it leach into the ground and till it the other direction.  helps to loosen up some of this yellow clay soil we have. on the plus side I live on a hill side, so what ain't clay is stone!!!

-------------
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:47am
A guy near me here in SE MN planted oats last week. He did it in the dark so no one would see but we caught him. He no-tilled them into corn stalks. Since then the ground has refrozen. We'll see what that brings.

BTW it's not uncommon to plow down fertilizer in my area. My agronomist said it's better than leaving it on top and the plant will find it.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:24am
I plow in February too.........SNOW

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Bill, Thanks for your kind words. Yes, this area's soils are Blessed. Here is a weblink that talks about (what I call GOD'S glaciers) the ice glaciers that created the Illinois' soils. Its a good read.  http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/glaciers-smooth-surface" rel="nofollow - http://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/glaciers-smooth-surface

You can see the IL Rt 16 moraine hills (Charleston, Shelbyville, Litchfield) where an ice flow retreated & melted). Like a giant bulldozer that stops pushing dirt, it left a line of hills, mostly on the south side of the highway. North of that highway, its flat. Another moraine is located farther north across IL Rt 9 (Bloomington - Gibson City, Paxton, Hoopeston). I believe these glaciers bulldozed rock, sediment, soils from areas as far north as Canada's Hudson Bay, US's great lakes, & everywhere in between. Look how Lake Michigan is predominately laying north to south. There is a water aquifer (under ground gravel & sand deposit) called the "Mahomet Aquifer". It stretches from near the southern tip of Lake Michigan south-southwest towards Mahomet and ends Just north of Taylorville by Willeys Station. You can dig down 40' in these areas and have upwards of a 1000 gallon of water a minute for wells. Lots of towns fill their water towers from it.   

Very interesting!

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:11am
Just following up with another update.
I used my 7060 & AC1300 24' FC to till & level this February plowed field. Since April 27th, we've had over 10" of rain, which spurred a flush of Lambquarter & Velvet leaf. Two days ago, it dried enough to allow tillage. I worked it twice. To help level it, I hit it at about a 45 degrees from straight on first pass, then did an opposing 45 degree angle on second pass. AC 7060 pulled it at 4th-Slow-High buttont for first pass & 5th-Slow-High button for second pass. It's 426 consumed 6.6gal/hr. Field is 33 acres x 2 passes = 66 acres. It required 6 hours & used a total of 39.65 gallons fuel. The AC1300 has 6" shovels at 3-4" depth which does a good job uprooting small 2-4" weeds. Usually a good hot sunny afternoon will finish killing uprooted weeds. But, within two hours of finishing FC, it rained again - 1.5 inches. So, I'll be working it again. I'll post some pictures later.

Posted By: IHCfarmer
Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:57pm
That's one sweet looking plow I would like an 8 bottom like that!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net