This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My D15 Series 1 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by ACthunder ACthunder wrote:

Thanks for the hitch pics.. that helps out a bunch. One last thing, what is the length of that crossbar angle iron.

Thanks again.

16.5 inches wide
Sponsored Links

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by bigredisb bigredisb wrote:

They are sending me some dished pistons as well to decide which ones I want to try.

Well the other pistons and kit showed up but they are obviously diesel pistons by mistake.

I talked to a senior guy at TISCO and we went through all the parts and casting numbers and verified that I have what I need to get moving.

The Diesel kit that arrived today was so badly damaged by UPS that one of the liners was bent at the bottom basically pinching the piston in the sleeve.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:16pm
Not too shabby:
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 9:55am
Finally found my serial number under a couple of layers of paint. It wasn't stamped real deep. Its 3952.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:16pm
Next time I am out in the shop I will grab the dimension for you.

I have a graphics design guy creating this logo so that I can trace the image in Silhouette (my decal cutter) to recreate this image:

Edited by bigredisb - 22 Aug 2016 at 10:22am
ACthunder View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACthunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:48pm
Thanks for the hitch pics.. that helps out a bunch. One last thing, what is the length of that crossbar angle iron.

Thanks again.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 2:01pm
So here is what I figured out. I ordered the gas kit but got a diesel kit with gas gasket set and LP Pistons so I am told. They are sending me some dished pistons as well to decide which ones I want to try.

Edited by bigredisb - 22 Aug 2016 at 9:03pm
JeffMOnt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffMOnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
the Beka1127-lcb is a gas kit. the Beka1128-lcb is a diesel kit. You will get domed pistons with the gas kit as well, I have the A&I kit which came with domed and works great. But you will need to contact the guys you got it from and have it swapped out for the right kit.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:41pm
Pictures of the hitch as requested:

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:38pm
So I received my piston and liner kit today but they don't seem right. The Pistons look like these:

And the box says: beka1128-lcb (Diesel kit) and I ordered a Becka1127-lcb (Gas Kit) kit. These are from tisco and the gasket set appears to the same. Looking through the plug hole my Pistons look like dished or crater Pistons where the ones they sent are domed. Does the picture above look like gas Pistons?

Edited by bigredisb - 22 Aug 2016 at 10:19am
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:58am
pretty cool. You may have the first D15 with a light bar.

We used to harass the John Deere dealership when they said they could add auto steer to any Deere tractor. Can we get Grandpa's old JD 70 updated?
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
Not specific to a D15 but I just got a few changes to my harness completed for my AFS Pro 300 being used as a lightbar and mapping.

Edited by bigredisb - 09 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:33pm
If the loader was used much, you will need a new pivot shaft and support bushing. If support housing is not to bad,a quick bore job and custom bushing will work. The pivot pin ca be made about 1 inch longer also.You can check and see how much will work on your tractor. The factory deal doesn't have near the wear surface it could or should have. A grill guard would save your nice grill also. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:10pm
Great advice I appreciate it. I didn't fully remove the front end yet on it but I did take a look at the front axle pivot and checked the spindles for play. Surprising the spindles were very tight. I would say the front pivot had no more than a 1/8th of an inch of play. I took the loader off the front end and checked end play in the pivots with a pry bar.
My wheel bearings up front are in need of adjustment for sure.

Looking at doing the in frame I think I have to remove the front end to get at the back two pan bolts which are tucked up under the rear axle pivot assembly.

Yeah that loader size and the way it was mounted really concerned me with all the leverage and forces being applied to the center of the chassis and bellhousing. I figured I would be better off ditching the loader to preserve the life of the tractor for generations to come.

Edited by bigredisb - 17 Aug 2016 at 3:43pm
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 1:40pm
If doing an in-frame, do yourself a favor and roll the front away to check the everything for wear. Nothing like finding it later after all painted up and I'm bettin it has some wear from the loader size that was on it, especially since it did not have connector pieces run to the rear axle so the load was more distributed. May also want to check the front spindles internal bushings as they do get worn.
Good looking unit, 1960/61 from the aluminum name plates and the 149 c.i. is a tad cheaper to re-do, vs. the 160 c.i. in the D15 Series II.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:24am
Yeah we were really lucky using that WD Narrow with the loader. A lot of close calls.

Edited by bigredisb - 08 Sep 2016 at 8:09am
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:08am
Thanks for the comments folks.
I will get some pictures of my three point as soon as my snap coupler ends come in so I can put the hitch back on it.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 6:53am
That's a great story, and the tractor looks to be in very good condition. It'll be a great tractor once you get the motor freshened up.
ACthunder View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACthunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:55pm
Could you post a pic of your 3 point conversion that allows for your drawbar to be hooked up as well?

Thanks,
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:10pm
Welcome and just a awesome start! (I am a picture nut so really enjoyed the story and the pictures with it!) You were very lucky to be here to tell this after that WD roll over!
Hope you have fun on the forum. Great tractor!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm
Nice, great story and pics. keepem coming.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:15pm
I found a couple of items on the tractor that were on it when we received it. Again we were second owners. On Facebook someone mentioned this was a for a toolbar depth control:

Also what appears to be some sort of homemade sway control for a 3 point possibly:
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:09pm

Hello everyone.
I have been lurking on your forum for quite some time as I prepared myself to start fixing up my very special to me Allis Chalmers D15 Series 1.

It all started as a very young boy when my grandpa and I would plow snow and if I was lucky he would let me run his WD.  His WD was the first of a lot of firsts for me.
Thats me already running the loader controls. I couldn't wait for seat time on his WD.

When it all started:

After a few close calls with the narrow front loader tractor he was quite determined to find a wide front tractor that I could get into less trouble with. We headed to Ella Wisconsin where he purchased a D15 and had it completely gone through (we were the second owners) and painted and a loader installed. When we were at the dealer trading in our WD he got me a toy WD to remember it by.

As soon as he had the chance he let me drive her. I always remember that day. I was about 7 years old or so and in those days these tractors felt like monsters to me. 

Fast forward 30 years and we recently laid grandpa to rest. He went quick and we had some good times before we parted ways. At his ceremony only a handful of people saw me put my WD toy that he had got me the day we received our D15 into his coffin with him. He was a die hard Allis Chalmers fan to the end and he was even able to forgive me for going to work at Case IH. 

After he passed some time went by and I was really concerned over the D15 and where it would end up. About a year after he passed my grandma realized how much it meant to me and even though I live smack dab in the city she gave me the tractor. 

I have had the tractor for about a year and other than changing all the fluids and adding the 3 point conversion I just recently got started on the true repairs and restoration. I am removing the Paulson loader as we got every cent of life out of it. The loader frame had cracks all over it and the loader frame mounts were also cracked all over. The pump was also shot. I am wanting to restore the tractor back to a condition quality that still allows me to put it to use. Grandpa wouldn't see the value in a trailer queen.
I have put my 49 Super A on hold for now to get the Allis back in shape. Most of my projects are all mechanically in great shape as that is what I am used to doing. Its the body work and paint that I am a total rookie.

Bad part is that the D15 is a smoker. It runs great and under the rocker cover she is spotless but again we used the hell out of it for a long time. I ordered a in frame kit with pistons, liners, and gaskets. The bearings are still nice and tight on it as she does not rattle at all and holds incredible oil pressure. 

I just finished up getting all the gauges working again. New tach, new traction booster, tach cable.

The only sheet metal we were really missing was the right hand panel which I was just fitting up here:

The power shift wheel locks were fun to get broke loose but I got them and narrowed it up a bit. The tires were full of calcium chloride. When I say full I mean it. they would puke calcium even with the stem all the way up. I got most of it removed as I would rather run weights as needed.

New steering wheel installed loosely prior to getting her ready for paint and other work.
I am planning to make a memorial that I can hang on the wall with his original wheel that had the creme well worn off it.

I also just converted it to 3 point so that I could use some other attachments easily. 
I didn't have the snap coupler hands but just ordered some so that it is somewhat complete. I would really like to put a 3-14 allis snap coupler plow on behind it.

Ill be posting questions and new developments as I go.
Just waiting on parts to show up and busy hunting for headlights and 26x11 wheels (they are rotten from the the fluid).

Edited by bigredisb - 08 Sep 2016 at 8:05am
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic