This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M&W AP-46 oops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M&W AP-46 oops
    Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 6:59pm
Here is what happens when you use a 45 crank with the WD pistons.  You end up with a great model to use for fly cutting pistons!!

This was my fault due to not paying attention when assembling.  I actually pulled it like this for a summer and when I changed oil the one day a piece of metal came out hole.  Pulled pan and found the metal around wrist pin broke and barely hanging on
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 8:00pm

I bet the comperssion is pretty high, I've got some M&W pistons here from a WD and I measured things up, should be around 13.5 to 1, or maybe slightly better.

I'm suprised that it didn't hit the head.  Tomorrow when I go to the shop, I'll measure the compression height of the pistons, 2.935 sticks in my mind for the M&W for a WD but I don't rember for sure.  WIth a 12.655 deck, 7.5" rod and a 2.25 crank offset the piston would come .030 out of the block, add about .045 or so for a compressed head gasket and I figured they would hit the head or at least hit with a few RPM but maybe not.

I've got the same setup laying on the shelf to swap into one, but I was going to put the pistons in the lathe and trim a bit out of the bowl, cut valve reliefs and re check height to build a complete quench engine, figureing I'd give it .030 quench.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:39pm
well larry you know exactly where to cut them. Wi 50 theys alot of hype on quench . I think its useful on high rpm engines to kill detonation by creating swirl . i just dont think its that big of a magic trick on a chug chug tractor rpm . Tractor that has a wedge design combustion chamber in the head and has pushed compression ratio to the limit for the fuel all the spark advance it wil take and make 7 grand on the tac during  runs then i will say quench has some  hocus pocus .

Edited by mlpankey - 14 Dec 2010 at 9:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic