This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 parts needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferg12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 parts needed
    Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 4:58pm
Where can i find parts to rebuild my starter solenoid.
A new wheel and contacts. The starter is a delco 113714-9846.
Orginal i believe and its a 1959. It is the foot-push start
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 5:13pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 5:19pm
If it has a solonoid on top of starter , many times one can reverse the contact wheel and the lug that makes contact . OR you replace the solonoid . 
Checking WALMART online - they have the repair kit . 
I have found WALMART Online sells parts way cheaper than Amazon and have ordered parts from their suppliers . https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Starter-Solenoid-Switch-Repair-Kit-Compatible-With-Delco-SDR6204-247-12003-Silver-stationary-contacts/1212351322?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101126811

New Starter Solenoid Switch Repair Kit Compatible With Delco Sdr6204 247-12003 Silver stationary contacts

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Dec 2023 at 5:22pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I have found WALMART Online sells parts way cheaper than Amazon ...

Thanks for the tip, lots of good stuff there

Edited by Les Kerf - 10 Dec 2023 at 8:47am
Ferg12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferg12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 1:59pm
Ferg12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferg12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 12:58pm
So replying to this post i had.
Question for same hd6 dozer

Can u ground out starter(hot side and ground side) to get dozer to turn over as long as batteries r up to charge?
What should be voltage be at starter before and while grounding out? No generator. Thought solenoid contacts where bad but we replaced.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 9:51am
They have the stater solinoid for a AC CA for $12.94 and WD 45 for  $13.90

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:00am
Looking at the picture in your other post - the starter is a mechanical engagement to advance the starter drive into ring gear . Jumping across the 2 terminals will engage just the motor section to run but not advance the starter drive to turn engine . 
Ferg12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferg12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:06am
Ok
When we jump terminals the starter doesn't do anything. There is voltage there to hot side of solenoid because there is plenty of spark when jumping.
Starter locked up?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 10:14am
Could be, but the starter needs removed and sent into a competent shop for evaluation and/or repairs. Plethora of things come together to make the starter motor rotate and whether your problem is mechanical, or electrical in nature is hard to say from behind a computer screen. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ferg12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferg12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 11:33am
Ok thanks
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 12:11pm
Have you ensured the engine is not frozen, or locked up? Attempting to rotate an engine with the starter motor that is either tight, or frozen will take a starter motor out on short order. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 12:22pm
Might be something as simple as brush contact with armature , bad brush springs  or bad brushes . Chances of being locked in - well could be but if the arm to starter drive moves free , it would kind of rule that out .
DieselBumpkin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselBumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 8:12pm
Easy enough to remove the starter and turn over the engine 1/50 of a stroke with a crowbar. On my '58 HD6B with the 344ci Lanova cell Buda, if I take off the hydraulic pump, there's a spot on the crankshaft where I could turn it over if they made a 3" wide flat head screwdriver. Somebody made a screwdriver that big because I saw the pry marks.

You could also check the no-load condition of the starter if you have it removed. Pull it and leave it wired. Have a helper watch and listen for the Bendix moving and the motor rotating.

That should be enough to get you started. If you feel like blowing $400+ on a new Delco-Remy starter, I bought one a year ago, and it's as much of a beast as the old one. It's like a 15 year old welterweight beating up a 75 year old heavyweight. Almost as heavy and a lot stronger and faster. I wonder what they put in the feed anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic