This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD10 Engine Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD10 Engine Question
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 4:58am
Hi,

the GM4-71 is blowing a lot of oil fumes from the breather pipe. If I open the filler cap or remove the dipstick very little (if any) fumes come from those two places.

After removing the head I found a crack under a valve insert and the valve guides were quite worn.

To me the oil fumes sounds like a head problem, but I am wondering if I should be looking at blower seal's and/or replace the liners/pistons now that the head is off.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored Links

Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:30pm
 It sounds as though it is tired, how much white smoke in the exhaust?? since the head is off, you might as well keep going. That is the low block 4-71, it should have a two valve head, trunk pistons, and small port liners, have you checked availability of the head gasket set? everything else should be the same,more or less. These engines will build up oil residue in the airbox if the drains are not maintained. Tad
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:42pm
the crack in the head are almost a normal thing and if they do not leak or the valve seat is not burnt to the point in needs replacing it is a question of IF. valves are not expensive but the head work can be. Diesel Cast Welding in Mpls Mn did my head for 2-71 and exchange for a loaded head it was not real bad price. A crack running to the injector copper tube from the hole to the valve seat area is almost common.
 Pistons and liners are not that bad either compaired to some engines and I found Det Diesle dealer prices on gaskets were cheaper than buying from my truck supplier.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Rufus View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 1:28am
The motor doesn't seem to blow white smoke from the exhaust. But it pours out the breather pipe from the governor.

I have made a few inquirys about availabilty of parts and it seems that I can get the gaskets/rocker arms and every else to do the head. I was quoted a ridiculous price to have the head repaired (I almost fainted)

Because the budget is tight, I am still deciding if the pistons should be done. My limited knowledge says the head is possibly the problem but I don't want to be wrong!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 4:30am
Vapors from a crankcase vent can only realistically come from rings.  Detroit engines use oil control rings to seal blower pressure out at the bottom of the piston, it is more likely these are worn out which also means the upper compression rings are done.  There are also seals on the wrist pin ends, there is a specialized installer for them if you go into a overhaul plus they must hold vacuum as a test after install.  I had one gentleman try to convince me it was possible blower seals but they are in the low pressure region on the blower and if fail pull vapors from the crankcase.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic