This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I find the PIN Holding tracts Together

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I find the PIN Holding tracts Together
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 10:53am
I'm no expert, but on mine, the master pin had a dimple in it.

It's no fun breaking the track.. Some of the guys here might give you hints..

My master pin was destroyed getting it out.. Do you have a spare?
BillRO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:35am
BillRO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 11:39am
I found what looks like a Offset on one side but not the side I wont to Break 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:52am
The master pin may have a mark on the end , be slightly longer or have other such marks or identifying features . The inner bushing in that link will also be shorter than others and have spacers on each end (and shims) to complete the link .
 It is recommended to replace the master pin when removed with new >
To remove a press can be used (hmm who has one setting around) or a large sludge and a friend who trusts you while holding punch for you to hit. 
 I made up a guide to clamp to track pad to keep punch centered on pin - then the punch has rod attached to it to keep punch in guide when rebounding from sledge blows.  On back side of the link with master pin you need something to keep it solid , a bucking bar of some kind so energy from sledge is now wasted in just moving the full track - I use a piece of pipe and fit that against track or track frame on other side.
 If it doesnt move after you work up a good sweat trying , the outer link can be heated on both sides of track to help get pin out.
 The pin is not completely the same size and wear will cause part of it to be smaller so once one side is released from link it still needs to be driven through the link on opposite side . Sometimes a little oil helps when you get this far.
 This is where the pipe on other side also helps as does the handle on the punch.
The punch I made was a 1" shaft with a 3' rod welded onto it, this slipped through the guide which was a pipe allowing the 1" shaft to slide through , this was welded to a angle iron that clamped to track .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BillRO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 7:06pm
Thank you Coke in MN 
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:30pm
I use a railroad spike driver with a handle i put it against the pin and hit the spike driver with a sledge 2 people of course taking turns hitting like coke said sometimes heat will help if someone has removed it before they may have welded it i ran into this a few weeks back
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 3:11pm
Being as I work pretty well by myself I have had to engineer a few helpers. I found some steel pipe that was slightly larger internal diameter than a stick of cold rolled I had(1 1/4"), welded it to a steel plate with spacers to hold it off the inside of a track shoe then set the cold roll in it to hit with a twenty pound sledge. So far all the rails I have seen and master pins I have for my Allis have a drilled or machined 'dimple' on the end flats.
There will be only one master pin for either side.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 4:36pm
Brute power from a big man with a big hammer !! sweat and swearing will happen by itself !! Jacks and heat help too.
Only time its easier is when its in a nice dry shed; but the big man and big hammer are still needed too. Good luck. master pin always has a dimple in it
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 5:10pm
I  used two all thread rods 3/4 inch with nut on each end, two steel plates 1 inch thick, shot holes through each plate for the all thread rods and used a bottle jack to press the pin out. a little heat and they will pop out. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:06am
Doesn't make a difference which way you remove the pin - it's just easier to get to from outside area . It may be marked only on one end 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic