This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dozer cylinders to fit AC HD11?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dozer cylinders to fit AC HD11?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:39pm
The blade lift cylinders on my HD11 are shot. When I bought it, I knew the seals were pooched and the shafts were scratched badly (and deep!). Took them off and to the local hydraulic shop to be inspected. Says that the tubes are shot as well. He's figuring a price on making new ones, but I got to wondering..... Maybe there is something out there on another machine that would work?

5" Bore
36" Stroke
Trunnion Mount - Closed 26" pin-pin. Extended 62" pin-to-pin.

Does anyone know of a dozer with a similar spec cylinder?

Yes, I know that there are still other dimensions to consider: rod end attachment, trunnion design, hydraulic ports, etc. But those items "might" be relatively easy to adapt.....depending on the cylinder of course!

Any help appreciated!

Andrew

===================================================
HD11B (S/N: 3880) ~1957
Sponsored Links

ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 5:23pm
Try John Parks at General Gear. He likely would have some good ones and He's an Honest, "Good Guy" to deal with. His Tel: 208-342-8911.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:00pm
have you tried searching surpluscenter.com?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 10:27pm
Any cylinders from HD11 prior to series B would fit on quite nicely, I would think- a guy would have to measure the trunnion mounts to make sure.  I know the hardnose and trunnions did get a change around 1958.
I was at Cambrian in Winnipeg the other day, but didn't see much to fit HD11.  He's got plenty for 5's and 6's, some wheel loader stuff, 12G, etc, but no 11's.  He used to have 16's and 21's too, but they all went to China.  The east lot looks bare now- 5000 tons of steel went to the Chinese.
If you have never been there, it is still worth the trip to the yard in the city, though- you never know what you might find...
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 11:27pm
I stopped in at Cambrian 10 or 15 years ago looking for some parts for my D grader. He had two or three fairly well parted out but was too hard to deal with. I agree he had a lot of interesting stuff. I am surprised that he is still alive as he seemed pretty old back then.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Lazyts Lazyts wrote:

Any cylinders from HD11 prior to series B would fit on quite nicely, I would think- a guy would have to measure the trunnion mounts to make sure.  I know the hardnose and trunnions did get a change around 1958.

A quick look in the parts books shows that I have the "first type" prior to April 1958.

According to the cylinder breakdown, the only difference is the cylinder barrel (port and trunnion locations) and the trunnions. Everything else is the same: rod, seals, packing, piston, etc.

Andrew

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 8:40pm
Well, after chasing this for a while, I haven't really got anywhere. A lead on a couple similar sized cylinders for CATs took me down deadend alleys. Same with Deere.

This dozer is only going to see 50-60 hours a year, so I've decided to give the barrels a good hone, new shafts, new seals and see how it goes. The new shafts should keep the packing from getting chewed out. Not too sure how long the new piston seals will be considering how chewed out the barrels are, but it can't be any worse than before! And at least it won't be dribbling all over the ground now!

Just about done with the ol' girl in the shop. Then I've got to get over to lazyts place to pick up some rebuilt pads for it!

Andrew

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 11:26pm
Yes, Don- "Iron Mike" likes to strike a hard bargain.  I've been there many times, and come away empty handed most of the time.  Every once in a while you can do ok there, though, on the right day.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:08pm
Just thinking here ,could you find a ram at Surplus Center in Ne that is close and build the trunnion or cut the old one from your old ram?I guess you would have to hone the new barrel after welding on it?If they have something that has been hiding a long time it could be cheaper to buy a ram than just a shaft.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic