This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulling 426 twin turbos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:14pm
To answer a question posted by DougG a couple of weeks ago: the person who purchased my Dad's AC dealership was Doug Cox. This happened in 1973 or 1974. Cox and my Dad had been in an AC dealer partnership in Pleasant Hill, Illinois. That dealership was named Harrison and Cox.
This partnership in Pleasant Hill was the only other AC dealership my Dad had ownership in besides his original dealership in Pittsfield. Dad's uncle, Walter Harrison (who I mentioned in an earlier post), had an AC dealership in Hannibal Missouri. That dealership was named Harrison Motor Company. Dad's dealership was named Harrison Implement Company. Then, after he sold the dealership, he continued building high-performance AC pulling engines under the name Harrison Engines, Inc.

Sponsored Links

DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:34am
WOW!!!! This is priceless. Thank you so much for sharing this info on here. Darryl Krause Lynden WA.
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 12:04pm
Yeah this is great info , thanks !!
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 1:31pm
Ndh I realy injoy reading ur posts .
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 1:59pm
I enjoy this too. It's a shame that it wasn't in a new post because I bet a lot of people that would enjoy this, are missing it.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:59pm
Ok is any one else having problems with this posting I got 3 email that Outher people had posted things and minexpensive is not showing any new posts
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:00pm
And of corse now it shows up
NDH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:53pm
In an earlier post I mentioned 3 "kits" that AC provided Noble Harrison (my Dad) with. Those kits originally consisted of larger injector nozzles, larger fuel lines and a larger turbo. The 3 tractors pulled successfully in 1968. In 1969 and 1970 additional modifications were made to the 426 c.i. engines.
A standard D21 weighs over 9000 lb with no driver and no fuel. We wanted to pull our D21 in the 9000 lb class and we wanted to be able to optimize front to rear weight distribution to match track conditions. We stripped or rebuilt unnecessary parts to lighten the tractor but that didn't leave us with enough weight to move. Then Dad focused on the cast iron front axle support. He hired O.B. Dell Welding in Pittsfield to create a steel frame front axle support covered with sheet steel shaped like the original part. I painted the support with a coat of thick orange paint. After the paint partially dried I threw sand on it. After the paint completely dried I lightly sanded it and painted it again. I repeated these steps several times over a period of a week and ended up with a front end that looked just like cast iron. This took at least 250 lb off the front end and allowed us to move more weight front to back. It took competitors quite a while to figure out how we could run more weights than they could. Finally one of them knocked on the "cast iron" front axle support and realized it was hollow so our secret was out.
Tractor pullers in the late 1960's and very early 1970's used "torque toppers". A torque topper was activated by a toggle switch that injected propane into the intake manifold. Flipping the switch would instantly clear the heavy diesel smoke and provide a horsepower boost. I believe these were first used by truckers to give them an extra boost going over mountains. Predictably, this got dangerous as pullers began injecting too much propane and occasionally exploding an engine.  They were outlawed in the early 1970's by a rule prohibiting tractors from using pressurized tanks, except in tractors using propane exclusively. I'll post more over the next few weeks as time allows. - N.D. Harrison
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 4:47am
I bet the first guy who injected too much propane and blew it up eyes got big!
David (in Mi.) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David (in Mi.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:12am
Enjoying this stuff. I used to pull tractors on not as big of scale as you guys are talking about, but remember the late 60's and early 70's I had a JD 4020 with turbo like a lot of others had and was running like most others about 120 to 150 hp with a roosa-master pump until we discovered that a 5020 pump would help, then we added an LP regulator that we could control, and boosted our power to the 250 hp range. Now let me tell you that in a small town pull like we had in our neighbor hood we were pretty big shots.
I was born on AC equipment, still have my dad's 1955 WD 45 diesel, and don't want you all to jump all over me for talking about green. Hope you all enjoy this topic like I do.
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 11:20am
These stories are too cool!

Hudson autos, Indian Motorcycles, and ALLIS CHALMERS! It doesn't get any better than that (in my opinion).
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 7:16am
The May 2015 NTPA PULLER Magazine has a article on the Harrisons:

Here is a face book link to the article

1969 220,1967 190DXT,1968 190DXT, LGT's 710,,716
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:48am
Thanks for this, seen it last night on FB too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic