This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cattle got out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeinwisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cattle got out
    Posted: 06 May 2024 at 11:55pm
Just back in. Stupid bull calf with horns pulled a cattle panel down and got out. 11:00 at night chasing cattle and fixing fence. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Though just last weekend I should throw a cable around that to secure it better. Happening tomorrow.
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:36am
Happens quite a bit around here with cattle. Had one about a year ago hit on a state highway and had to be put down by deputy.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:48am
Fastest way to wake a Dairy Farmer up is yell" The Cows are out"!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:55am
a real moooo-ving experience !
udder-ly rediculous, he should have been asleep....

sorry, but I had to put some humour into this.

happily bull and farmer are back safe and sound though !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:11am
I tell my wife and kids that if I am in a coma and the doctors want to pull the plug, just yell, "COWS ARE OUT".  There will be a response.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:00pm
Been here on this place over thirty years, at the other place longer than that; never had a cow to get out.

Neighbors on all sides at both places, their cows are in my yard and in the road almost weekly.

There is a big crease in my truck door where the neighbors cows ran by and caught the mirror and the mirror bent the door --- in my back parking lot.

They all seem to think cows being out is just a part of life.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:17pm
When bought this place first step was NOT Fixing or Patching Fences but REPLACING and installing Gates instead of Gaps or Panels.  So far, Knock on my Wood Head, NO Cows out in 12 years.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:51pm
Any of y'all old enough to remember people putting yokes on cows heads to keep them behind the 2-strand fences ?

It was a common sight when I was a kid; nearly every cow was wearing a big A-frame yoke on her head and the bulls all had chains hanging from the rings in their noses with the head of an old double-bit axe swinging between their front legs from that chain; if they ran, the axe head would beat them in the shins and wrap the chain around their leg.

I remember when my father bought an old creek farm and put up a 3-strand fence; people talked about it as if he had built Fort Knox; any more than 2-strands was unheard of.

Now, six strands and seven strands is more the norm.

A rogueish cow, they would put sharp spikes on the cow side of the yoke such that any pushing against the yoke resulted in her getting poked by the spikes; quit pushing and quit getting poked.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 7:02pm
Our fences are Four Strand, was told how useless that was and only a Five Strand would hold cows.  So far so good even as I did fail to add solid bracing Posts every 5-8 where cows poke head thru and try to get to that sweeter blade of grass just out of reach, pushing fences over a few degrees.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 2:30am
Yeah, it's usually the bull/steer calves that are the problem.  If they have horns they raise hell with fences.  Don't ask me why, but they do.
Cows usually only cause problems when they are hungry and 'the grass is always greener' on the other side of the fence.

Ya GOTTA keep em tight!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:09pm
I remember a jottings in a dairyman's journal in hoard's about one of triumpo's neighbors whose fences were more a suggestion rather than a barrier. I guess Richard is pushing 100 now and still writing
deckape View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deckape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2024 at 7:07pm
Growing up on  grandfathers farm ,if he had a cow that got out , he would put a 12' chain around it's neck ,with a A/C front tire dragging the ground . LOL
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2024 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by deckape deckape wrote:

Growing up on  grandfathers farm ,if he had a cow that got out , he would put a 12' chain around it's neck ,with a A/C front tire dragging the ground . LOL

It's been a long time; but, I have seen that as well; rogue cow dragging a tire or whatever else is handy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic