This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Generator to 77 F250 Regualtor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:12pm
It may not run like a "motor"  .... you POLARIZE the REGULATOR to match the generator, once the BATTERY is connected on the tractor... not in the shop.

You need to SPIN the generator and measure the voltage out of the "A" terminal on the back.... with the other lead on the "G" ro the "F" terminal... try both. ... I have used a washing machine motor bolted to a 2 x 4 years ago, to SPIN.... a hand drill with a socket on it might be enough.

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Apr 2024 at 7:13pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:34pm
Just went ahead a pulled it apart and to my not surprise. Both brushes where froze in their sockets, one spring is gone and the other broke off long ago. Now I know why the copper on the armature is not shiny, there has been no contact.

Edited by ForgivenCreation - 29 Apr 2024 at 7:35pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:37pm
The CHEAP FIX for you is a new Alternator with Internal voltage regulator.. There are 3-4 different brands that will work... You can even get a "1 wire" unit that just wires to the amp meter / battery with no other wires..
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

The CHEAP FIX for you is a new Alternator with Internal voltage regulator.. There are 3-4 different brands that will work... You can even get a "1 wire" unit that just wires to the amp meter / battery with no other wires..

Yup.
Just toss that Ford generator in the dumpster where it belongs and get a one-wire alternatorI think we could maybe walk you through the process... Tongue
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:19pm
Cough cough cough .... I made springs

It Motors!!!! Barely

Spinning with the drill on high it puts out 1volt.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 11:31am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

When I see the price of new regulators, why would you not buy a new one instead of trying to cobble up one that wasn't meant for this application.

As my Grandma used to say "Poor people have poor ways".

The alternator regulator will work with the generator so long as the generator is indeed a "B" circuit, which it should be; I had one on a 1963 Ford Fairlane. While I don't  recommend it, I have actually done this back in my impecunious youth. This gentleman appears to be more interested in painting than following instructions though, so reckon I will sign off.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 2:51pm
I would like to Thank yall for helping me. Didn't feel the need to but I guess I need to explain that I have very little money and hate the buy buy buy mentality to solve problems, that mentality is what is killing America. I believe in fixing to the best of my ability and then buying if all else fails and trying to do an decent job.
The tractor is my first tractor, I have dealt in mechanicing for years now and am well versed but Really like and need the input of others, (yall). The tractor has been sitting for many many many years and I bought it through some guy who got it at an estate sale so all that has been done is not me.
I figured I should just take it off and take it apart because usually you get something but the gen put of ZERO, brushes stuck in holders. Nonetheless I hear and acknowledge ALL of yalls advice, input, and expertise, I try to make all of it my own and remember it. Anyhow Thank yall very much! Now back to the generator.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 3:49pm
Alright I have fully verified that the generator is FULLY functioning.

The way I did it.

The Armature or Brush Post on the rear went to the Field Post. Then From the Field went through my multimeter and back to the Ground post completing the circuit and giving me 22volts with a hand drill clockwise rotation facing me.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 3:50pm
TK... what a lot of people do in this situation is use the generator as a belt adjuster.. NO wires at all. Charge the battery once every couple weeks in the garage. You have a mag, so all the battery does is run the STARTER... Dont really need much battery if it starts good.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 5:04pm
Yeah, I do have big lights and would like maybe other electronics on the tractor.
I need to now look into the regulator deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic