This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 715 Backhoe B, C, or D?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sknies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 715 Backhoe B, C, or D?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 4:23pm
Just purchased an AC 715 backhoe. Looking for correct parts, service, and operators manuals.

Tag on side of machine says:

Name-715-B-B/L
Model-715-D
Serial#-2137
Engine#-34950L

What series is this? B series?

Also, what’s the good and bad of these machines?

Heard of hydraulic pumps needing extra support.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 12:29am
There was a update on later machines for hyd pump , but not many have it . 
Weight and vibration of pump will crack the timing cover and oil leak from there . 
Somewhere in site I posted pictures of how I rad a support from bell housing to fitting on pump to stop the problem after i replaced that front casting .
 I do have pictures saved and could e-mail them *  ( send private message with e-mail and will send them  ) 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 12:34am
My 715 is a Model 715B - D and year of 1981 , I have the dig-more extenda hoe on machine . On the 3rd rebuild of the fwd/rev box on machine . 
 Bought mine from municipal city as they traded it for a JD and had 2,000 hours on it then but 5 years ownership and they traded if off per their 5 year limit of equipment life .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 5:29am

The Model 715 was built from 1974 to 1977.

The Model 715B was built from 1978 to 1980.

Both had a 3.9 L Perkins Diesel

The B/L is abrev. for Backhoe / Loader

G

https://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/8/188-allis-chalmers-715.html

https://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/9/190-allis-chalmers-715b.html
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 2:50pm
the 715 later was sold by TDS - which was AC built and sold through MINNPAR , 
TDS bought rights and then sold out to large Co . they dropped line except for loaders .
The TLB used a AC engine and then went to Cummins - later machines were said to not be as good as mid range D machines - and sales suffered . 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:12pm
Just a small clarification -  the Badging on later machine 715  was CDS.  There are some of them still around and use today.    The CDS 715 Loader Backhoe used a Cummins 4B (non turbo) engine.  The CDS units were built between 1985 - 1993.  The legal trademark CDS was incorporated in 1985 and was sunset in 1993.  Production of the AC 715/CDS design ended at that time, (1993).   By anyone's measure a production period of 20 years- (1973- 1993) is a pretty astounding run and I would think a testament to its overall rugged design. ~ Respectfully Orangeman
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 1:38pm
Oops CDS / not TDS - the backhoe unit was dropped but the forklift unit along with the loaders changed when CDS sold rights 
 Herc-U-Lift in Long Lake MN , was handling AC parts for these machines and might have information on finding some thing . I had bought some parts for HD4 from them way back and the parts guys had all the books . 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:38am
Coke - on the support for the hydraulic pump - that might be something that should be in the knowledge section.  I remember that it was  posted on the forum at one time but darned if I can find it.  ~ Orangeman
Sknies View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sknies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:57am
Few more questions.

Does anyone know where I could find the oil temp gauge?

Also does anyone have the hyd tank cover/shield that is similar to the battery box cover they would be willing to sell?

Thinking about getting a different backhoe bucket, what adapts to these machines?

Thanks
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 11:55am
Battery Cover is, I think 3/16 plate AR 36 and is notched for bolts to terminate the cover to the battery box - easy to make new and paint.    Have seen Wain Roy buckets on AC 715's - so yes there are buckets that would replace the Allis built bucket. 

Not sure on the oil temp. gauge - try Minn Parr  - see Cokes link  recently on Minn Parr or could try Sandy Lake Implement.   Good Luck with the project ~ Orangeman
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 2:46pm
AC did come out with a modification on machine for pump support , never seen theirs>
My bracket is a trailer hitch draw bar (chrome plated) that runs from bell housing bolts to the top of pump housing and attaches there with a U bolt clamp .
  Weight of the supply hose and vibration take a toll on timing chest cover . 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 14 Apr 2024 at 2:48pm
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 3:52pm
One of the units had the AC 4.33T engine.  Same corresponds to Forklifts 706 B,C,D
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 4:19pm
The engines equipped in the AC - CDS 715 Loader Backhoe as OEM equipment were as follows; beginning with the earliest production to end of production. 

AC 715 Loader Backhoe - Perkins 4.236 Diesel (Beginning Production)
AC 715 Series B  Loader Backhoe Series - Perkins 4.236 Diesel
AC 715 Series C Loader Backhoe - Allis Chalmers 433 Turbo
CDS 715 Series D Loader Backhoe -  Cummins 4(B) Non Turbo to the end of production. 

The dates of production for the AC badged machines start in late 1973 and end in 1985, in 1985 CDS picks up rights to produce the 715 badged CDS files for a trademark and ceased that trademark in 1993.  No production of the 715 beyond that as front wheel assist and four wheel drive loader backhoe had saturated the market, but what a great 2 wheel drive backhoe they were - still useful in 2024 for estate owners, farmers and industrial equipment hobby types that want a good solid unit to dig with.  ~ HTH's Orangeman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic