This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are NAPA 7011 oil filters really that bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:25am

I don't know these engines at all so keep this in mind but is this a full flow, or bypass filtration system? Utilizing a restrictive filter to maintain oil pressure in the engine? I've never heard of that in the past. Though years prove me wrong, this reads of a design destined to failure without strict adherence to filter selection unless it is a bypass type system rather than full flow. I have several engines utilizing bypass systems only and they work well so find this interesting.

I don't patronize my local Napa parts store but that is a business relationship and pricing is just the start of it.

Yes bypass system

Edited by CAL(KS) - 19 Mar 2024 at 7:26am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:33am
Thanks Cal. Makes sense now. 

I have several antique Mack engines utilizing bypass filtration only and they work well.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:25am
All I can think of when the oil filter subject comes up, I worked in a factory that made filters one summer. S U C K E D!!!!! Boring, miserable, itchy….$5 per hour. The wife wears that summer’s earnings on her finger.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:42am
All of the WC-WD-WD45 - B -C-CA and SOME  of the early D series all used the SAME BYPASS filter.. Sometime after 1960 this was changed to the standard PH8  auto type filter.

The BYPASS runs about 15% of the oil thru a 1/4 inch tube with an 1/8 inch hole in the end as an ORIFICE to restrict the flow.. That 15% then goes thru the TIGHT WRAPPED COTTON filter which further restricts the flow.. and then dumps to the crankcase.. About 85% of the oil goes to LUBE  the motor.. If you take out the 1/4 inch tube, you will run about 100% of the oil back to sump.. NO LUBE.. If you use the PAPER filter instead of the COTTON, you loose a good portion of the oil back to sump.. I dont know the %, but you probably had ZERO LUBE OIL at low or half throttle.. and MINIMAL lube at HIGH.

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Mar 2024 at 8:43am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 9:52am
Thanks for explanation Steve. I use a Napa oil filter on my D 15.

Edited by ACinSC - 19 Mar 2024 at 9:52am
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

I don't know these engines at all so keep this in mind but is this a full flow, or bypass filtration system? Utilizing a restrictive filter to maintain oil pressure in the engine? I've never heard of that in the past...

The first time I pulled an oil pump out of a Model C engine I literally laughed in disbelief, that's how puny it looks. A dinky little vane pump driven off the end of the camshaft.

So yes, if you poke a hole in the system ANYWHERE it is not going to maintain pressure. "Modern" engine design uses a big, robust oil pump that can deliver excess volume. The older AC systems are adequate. Just. Barely. Adequate.
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:31pm
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:58pm
Les... it works because your getting a WHOPPING 20 HP out of a 125 CID engine running at 1650 RPM !!!  Wink

in comparison, my F150 has a duel turbo 213 CID engine that is close to 400 HP ! LOL
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:40pm
...and I'm betting your 400HP F150 can't pull a one bottom plow LOL
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:46pm
never tried a plow... but it will pull a 12 K trailer down the highway at 80 MPH.. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 9:00pm
Way off topic, but I am betting the naysayers about turbos on pickups are very similar to the guys that were naysayers of turbos on tractors 60 years ago.
resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Way off topic, but I am betting the naysayers about turbos on pickups are very similar to the guys that were naysayers of turbos on tractors 60 years ago.

I have a turbodiesel car and as a result am 100 percent onboard with turbos on anything. Put them on a Radio Flyer, more power to you.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 2:53am
I've long envisioned turbocharging my old wind up West Bend bedside alarm clock but I'm afraid that one hasn't quite gotten off the drawing board as of yet. Can't seem to find proper packaging to allow a workable fitment with thermodynamics considered. This on top of of space constraints, cannot for the life of me figure how to fit charge air cooling to the unit as I've had the thing so long as a passdown from my grandparents, I'd sure hate to melt it down, yet I'd still like a bit more performance.

Any engine takes to turbocharging like a duck to water if it is set up correctly. Got to control the heat, contain the pressure, absorb the inherent torsional stresses induced, and direct the power to a usable output to make it work. Easier said than done with engineering, manufacturing, marketing, and management involved in the mix. 

I had a 1989 Dodge Spirit car purchased as a bank repo to use as a loaner in the shop. Very clean little car with a blown head gasket but ran well. It was turbocharged but not intercooled. I pulled the head finding it cracked and ordered a new one from an aftermarket supplier along with an updated "graphite" head gasket. Installed new timing belt and water pump at the same time along with new hoses and drove that car to just shy of 400K on the clock with no trouble other than an air conditioning compressor going bad from age. It never did get used as a loaner my wife liked it so much. It really "woke up" after installing a "Mopar Performance" ecm, and Borla exhaust too without being very loud. Had a great tone, but not annoying.

Never did use oil between 5K oil changes but rust put it down as wasn't safe to drive any longer.   
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:19pm
Frame rust?
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 8:26pm
We only use AGCO filters on all of our AC tractors, AC filters when they were in business. Not sure who makes them for them but always have had good results and good oil pressure even in a few that have a lot of hours on them.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 9:39pm
Wix unless they changed...
Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 11:36am
Just changed the oil in my D14 with a Wix filter (NAPA 7011 cross reference).  Oil pressure is usually on the lower side as the tractor is now 65 years old, but there is decent pressure.  Filter seems to be good quality. 

I did try something for the heck of it. I decided to add a little zinc additive to the oil, and I also threw a little Marvel's in the gas tank and crankcase.  It literally cured my blue smoke issue on high throttle out in the field, and the oil pressure is better.  Normally my grandpa can see blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe if I am way out in the field, and the dark trees provide a backdrop otherwise the blue tint is hard to see.

After running it hard for about 2 hours it didn't use a drop of oil. Normally I see at least a 1/2 quart down. 
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 10:33pm
Seafoam in the crankcase will also clean up the engine, rings, valve train. amazing when you change the oil after a little bit of running it. It will be coal black and you will notice how much quieter and smoother the engine runs. I had 2 engines that would put out blue smoke but that stuff cleared both of them up. Carbon build up causes all kinds of issues and it really cleans em up.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic