This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running with choke on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 7:23pm
Some inline filters have a RESTRICTION or a CHECK VALVE that takes a couple PSI to open... You want the OLD FASHION filter that is gravity feed and zero restriction.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

resurrection20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

as the LEVEL Gets too high, the gas runs over the top lip into the throttle bore area and gets sucked into the motor for uncontrolled gas flow.... BLACK smoke is Excess fuel.

Remember how in that first pic I uploaded the carb was wet and that screw was loose? It was wet all around like that, but it could have been leaking out of the breather tube and running back. It was really hard to tell there was so much.

Couldn't get the breather tube off because it's so short. If it was leaking out of there, I found something there to tighten up, at least.

When I first got it, it'd run fine for about an hour and then you'd need to start choking. A slowly sinking float makes sense. Carbs never cut me any slack.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:09pm

Some inline filters have a RESTRICTION or a CHECK VALVE that takes a couple PSI to open... You want the OLD FASHION filter that is gravity feed and zero restriction.

I...had no idea. That explains that brand new Wix not doing me any favors.

The old, partially plugged filter was actually helping me by restricting flow.

Edited by resurrection20 - 19 Mar 2024 at 8:16pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 2:24pm
You're gonna laugh. So, I had put non-ethanol 92 in it because that's just what I had around for my small engines. I ran it out of fuel yesterday working and went to get some today, except I went for 87 10% ethanol because I'm not made of money. It started running normally again...it's always been a little belchey/uneven and always liked some choke. I bought it running and driving for $500 and was using it the next day- so I didn't really complain that it didn't run perfectly.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 3:10pm
Sooo…was your supply of 92 small engine gas from last year?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 3:33pm
remember the "B" has about 6 to 1 compression ratio compared to a car that has 9 to 1 compression ratio... B should run with some pretty crappy fuel.. Higher octane will  retard the spark to the plugs... that could be a possibility ??

but that will not fix the LEAK........ you still need a rebuild in the near future.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Mar 2024 at 3:34pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 3:36pm
-----GOOGLE--------What happens if you put 93 gas in a 87 car?
Engine computers can usually adjust their timing to account for the increased octane levels, so if you put premium gas in a regular car, you probably won't notice anything. However, some engines are not designed to burn higher-octane fuel, and you may see a reduction in performance and fuel economy.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Mar 2024 at 3:37pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 5:34pm
Ethanol has sort of a natural cleaning effect, so it may have actually cleaned the carburetor out a bit. If you are using the tractor every day, running ethanol isn't a problem, except it tends to deteriorate rubber parts. 

The biggest problem with ethanol in old engines is when it sits for extended periods.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Sooo…was your supply of 92 small engine gas from last year?

If was less than a week old. I got it to start mowing the lawn.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:48pm

remember the "B" has about 6 to 1 compression ratio compared to a car that has 9 to 1 compression ratio... B should run with some pretty crappy fuel.. Higher octane will  retard the spark to the plugs... that could be a possibility ??

but that will not fix the LEAK........ you still need a rebuild in the near future.

Not leaking anymore, either. I ran it for about five hours straight today with no problems. Mowed blackberries, dragged fallen limbs and other stuff around to make a burn pile.

I knew using the wrong octane was a waste of time/money in cars- I didn't think it'd matter on an old tractor, but I learned something.

I use the 92 non-ethanol in EVERYTHING that doesn't go on the highway, just so I don't have to deal with ethanol drama. This is the first time it's ever been a problem!

Edited by resurrection20 - 21 Mar 2024 at 9:53pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Ethanol has sort of a natural cleaning effect, so it may have actually cleaned the carburetor out a bit. If you are using the tractor every day, running ethanol isn't a problem, except it tends to deteriorate rubber parts. 

The biggest problem with ethanol in old engines is when it sits for extended periods.

I usually drain everything and run the carbs dry. When I can't, I use Sta-Bil and have never had any problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic