This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 170 won't idle down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 170 won't idle down
    Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 11:26am
The 170 will not idle down. In the past if I would rapidly advance and retract the throttle it would idle down, but under a very slight load it would advance to about 1000 to 1200 rpms. I have removed the governor assembly, I don't see any wear on any parts. The only thing that I did notice was that one weight was a little sticky, but it is now moving freely.I have never had a governor apart so I don't really know what to look for. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 12:14pm
The governor weights have nothing to do with low idle. You needed to inspect the throttle lever on the carb to make sure it hasn't worked loose on the end of the shaft first and for any worn linkage from the vertical governor arm to the carb second. Third, adjust the cable longer from the hand throttle down to the governor.

Edited by DrAllis - 15 Mar 2024 at 12:15pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 12:51pm
can you work the carburetor rod/ arm by HAND and get it to idle down ?  Look for LOOSE or SLOP joints at Dr said.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 4:20pm
Does it idle down when under load? If the rpm’s drop when you are under load, then press the clutch to stop, or disengage the pto, and the rpm’s then jump way back up, you may have a vacuum leak.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 10:01pm
also check timing, if the advance weights are stuck, it will not retreats and idle well.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
D17Milo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:16pm
My problem ended up being a gummed up throttle cable. Got it cleaned up and it now idles like it should. Thanks for all the input. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic