This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIATALLIS FD30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIATALLIS FD30
    Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 8:23pm
So we brought home an old loader last week and don't know much about it. Ordered all the filters for it from napa but can't seem to figure out what oil the transmission needs. It is also missing the transmission dipstick
so I would like to find or make a new one but need to know the the measurements. Anyone have some insight into it? I don't have a manual for it but found a site called farm manuals fast that supposedly has them. Any experience with them? Also should add that the transmission is a two speed not a three like the spec sheets that I found say it is. Maybe a serial number break? This one is serial number 47C 00157. It looks like the transmission may have been replaced at one point because the paint is a slightly different color. It looks like it is the correct one as it doesn't appear to have been made to fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 8:30pm
Made a mistake on the model number it is a FR30 not a FD30.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 8:35pm
Your right.... HI/ LO  2 speed transmission ??? I thought it was a 4 speed FWD - 4 speed REV ?  That is a Good Size Wheel Loader !

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Feb 2024 at 10:30pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 9:12pm
I am certain that it is the correct transmission. The shift lever has low and high in both forwards and reverse. I had an old jd 444 years ago and I think it was the same thing but it was only about a third of the size. The operating weight of this machine is just over 60k lbs. Was a little exciting loading and unloading on a 9 foot trailer with no brakes and twitchy steering due to low hydraulic oil!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:05pm
Well, i think you are right.. two speed high/ low with FWD/REV . The original transmissions i think from the 745 and 945 tractors were Allison ... and the first FRs retained that transmission, but the took out the ALLIS motor and put in a FIAT motor ...... That was in the mid 1980s....  Then they US plants closed and they started making the tractors overseas. .......... What motor do you have ? ... some were upgraded with a CUMMINS 855 - 6 .

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Feb 2024 at 10:28pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:38pm
besides the dip stick ( varies by machine)... there should be a LOW and HI plugs for Checking the level... Several inches up from the bottom... I dont remember the exact location, but the shafts do not spin IN THE OIL.. so it is low in the case.... chapter 3 in the above BOOK LINK.

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Feb 2024 at 10:39pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:43pm
Like this..........

Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:08pm
Thanks for the info steve. This one has the 310 hp cummins in it. From what I can tell the engine is original to the machine. I think it is a 1984 model and the serial number plate on the underside of the cab says made in the United States of America on it.
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 8:35pm
So I found the transmission tag and it is indeed a TRT 4821. Also found a rebuild tag on it from 93. Took a closer look at the engine and it has a build date of December 84 but a warranty start date of 7 16 87. Would that be the date the engine was sold to fiat or the date it was put into service? I find it interesting that there would be over 2 1/2 years between the two. Either way it is an old machine that most likely started out at Inland Concrete as that is the decal on the side.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 9:56pm
No guarantee what "DEAL" Cummins had with FIAT.... but this is the "standard" today.

Coverage begins with the sale of the Engine by Cummins and continues for one year with unlimited hours. The. Duration commences on either the date of delivery
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 10:00pm
Fiat Allis made large Dozers in Springfield Ill..... They made the FD40 and FD50... The plant closed ( mid 1980s) and all the TOOLING that was needed was shipped to Italy.. There were 40 of the FD50 dozers in the plant... At that time they sold about 1 a month.. So it took  3 years to get rid of all of them..
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 10:07pm
That’s a tank!!!

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic