This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Difference between 645 and 645B loaders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Difference between 645 and 645B loaders
    Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 6:56am
What are the differences between these two loaders?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:39am
Allis-Chalmers’ main competitors (Michigan, Hough & Caterpillar) all had 40 degree steering to either side whereas the 645’s steering angle went to 45 degrees either side of centre.

In this form, the 645 was manufactured up to 1972 when an upgrade of the design was undertaken.

Principal changes included a new engine, the model 3500-II and the introduction of Allison’s new “soft-shift” modulated transmission.

Bucket capacities and tipping loads remained the same.

Throughout the upheaval of the Fiat buy up, the 645B continued in production (as the Fiat-Allis 645B) and was finally declared obsolete in 1981 after some 6200 had been produced.

The model 645/645B was the most successful and numerous wheel loader ever manufactured by Allis-Chalmers.

Edited by steve(ill) - 10 Nov 2023 at 8:39am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:40am
both machines were excellent loaders...........

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

both machines were excellent loaders...........

Thanks for posting this link Steve, very interesting!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 6:28am
interesting history in that link  but other than the fuel system and soft shift transmission, there is no other difference mentioned.

Reason I am asking is I have a 645B i am using and i found a 645 that is a parts machine condition only.  If there is not much interchangeable then its not worth much to me... 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 6:43am
I remember both machines a bit. Not a lot of differences between the two outside of the mentioned ones in the article. Anything that age is going to need some bushing work in the articulation and linkage parts, but IIRC not much was any different between the "B" series and original except the fuel system. To the end user, not much at all. The later "B" series did have a little nicer insulation and air conditioning was an option. Never seen insulation at all in the original series.

As far as hard parts I'd think they are very close and if the donor can be had cheap enough, and you have need, the purchase would be justified with the first part swapped.  
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 4:14pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2023 at 5:25pm
I don't remember ever seeing that double windshield at all; only the single flat windscreen with wiper.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 4:26am
Wasn't one of the Allis loader line continued in Sweden ?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Wasn't one of the Allis loader line continued in Sweden ?
Yes, the company is called Ljungby Maskin. For many years they rebuilt old Allis loaders and then later, (after Allis was all finished so as to not get in trouble with patent laws) they started building new ones. When you check out their design, especially of the loader arms, tilt and cylinder placements they are a true copy of the articulated Allis loaders. They have now gone away from rebuilding Allis loaders and don't supply any such (aftermarket) parts. In the European market, especially, Ljungby loaders are of good reputation, expensive to buy used, even with 20 to 30 thousand hours on the meter. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2023 at 11:25am
As Codger mentioned I think there was a change in the fuel injection pump on the 645B.  Bosch comes to mind and Simms. ~ Orangeman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic