This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing 7G turbo on an HD6G?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing 7G turbo on an HD6G?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 4:56pm
Hi everyone
Did anyone ever install a turbo on an HD6G off of a 7G? Do you know if it will fit on, I think the engines are the same so I'm thinking it'll work. I'm tired off trying to push dirt and not having enough power, I like having plenty of power when I'm doing something like that. How much more power can I get with a turbo on it? Does anyone have parts available to do this? Would I need the intake and exhaust manifolds or could I use the existing intake manifold and just run a pipe from the intake to the turbo? It had a rusted out muffler on it and not a cast iron manifold. Also my track pads are worn down pretty bad I'm thinking to put rebar on them. Any information would be appreciated.
                                           Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 9:00pm
I don't know about the turbo but welding up the track pads has been done many times. You will need it because your machine will have a tendancy to slip the tracks. I put a motor out of a crawler tractor in my 6G. It put out a lot more HP than the 6G motor. It was fun to operate after I got it together.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 4:49am
Generally, adding a turbo by itself gains little, if any HP. Once the turbo is installed the fuel delivery has to be increased to gain more HP. Increasing the fuel without a turbo only gets you more smoke, not HP.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 8:46am
consider that the early 344 engines (HD6 and 6g)  were lanova cycle (indirect injection with air cells)  later direct injection was utilized and these were the 6000 series.  adding a turbo and it was the 7000 series engine with power increases to go along.  the early 7g had the 7000 engine and then upgraded to the 2900?  (301) as the 7gb?  same as 190xt tractor etc.

it could easily be installed, whether it would help much or function correctly i couldnt say.  ive wondered this myself when running my early 6g chuggin smoke when working, if a turbo would clean it up.  
 a lanova engine will have more compression.   when AC engineers installed the turbo on the D19 tractor,  they reduced the compression compared to the D17 non turbo.  different engine but also an indirect lanova cycle

also consider a 6g is clutch/gear drive and welding grousers will increase engine loading and shock loads to the driveline

but would it be cool?  YES

Edited by CAL(KS) - 04 Oct 2023 at 8:47am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 8:58am
Injection pump CC delivery is Higher on Turbocharged engines.  Simple point of fact all a Turbo on the older engines did was add a little more air so fuel would burn cleaner and to compensate for varied sales altitudes.
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 10:14am
Hey, you guys disappoint me! I thought installing a turbo gives you more power. I know of people who put a turbo on any diesel to get more power, I thought it would work the same on my 6G. I've got the service manuals for both the 6G & 7G and the engines look identical except one has a turbo and the other does not, the 7G's got more power so why wouldn't that give the 6G more as well?

Mine is a later model like early 70's   (serial # 37A23442)

The fue injection pump has 7G in front of the serial number, don't remember the rest of it so maybe a 7Gs pump on there?

I had put a few posts on here a few months back when I was trying to get it running. I've used it quite a bit and it works awesome, fun to use too.

Steve
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 10:58am
It takes FUEL to make HP, not just air. If your engine is a little overfueled now (lots of smoke) you probably will see some HP improvement, because it is lacking in air to completely burn all the fuel being delivered. That's just the way it is.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:36am
With increased fuel comes increased exhaust heat. Basic turbocharging induces more air under above atmospheric pressure allowing more fuel to burn completely. However, increase the fueling rate and induce more air to burn the fuel drives exhaust temperature up and shortens engine life. This is where inter, or aftercooling comes into play. You will increase output power but this air/fuel ratio must be kept balanced or engine destruction occurs. Best tool to install is an exhaust perimeter and watch that needle when using the engine power. Keep it out of the "red" zone, or under about 1100 degrees and the engine will deliver an acceptable service life. 

You would probably be best served by upgrading the oil pump to a higher flow rating also as the turbocharger needs it's center bearing pressure lubricated by engine oil and factory oil pumps may not be up to the task. 

This is not the bolt on and go the internet will lead you to believe. The package must be balanced and calibrated to attain the balance or it's a short time till a good engine is scrap iron.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 1:30pm
You add fuel untill you run out of turbo. Not the other way around.
Learning AC...slowly
Dozer987 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 7:41am
You have the Hd344 motor. There are improvements made to the 6000 and 7000 (turbo) motors. I used the turbo, exhaust, and intake system from a 7000 motor on my 6000 motor. It was cool but it did not increase HP that I noticed. If I remember correctly the oil cooler is different and I think the camshaft and fuel timing is different. If you could get a complete 7000 motor it would be cooler.
Pun intended
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 12:09pm
I'll put a turbo on there if I find one that's not to expensive, I want to replace the manifold anyway the muffler was rusted out so I made a manifold for it out of square tubing but I don't really like it. The engine is in excellent shape, it starts and runs very good, there's no reason to replace the engine. I love doing something like that anyways, just for fun. But if someone has a 7000 engine they want to trade with my 344 I might be interested...... maybe.

If I do put a turbo on it I'll let you know how it turned out.

Steve
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 12:53pm
37A is late HD6G, and  is definetly 6000 engine. These were 80 hp in HD6G. You should have ample power in a loader application.
The 7000 engine in early 7G was 100hp. Has higher CC fuel deliverery, bigger oil cooler; quite possibly different cam from memory  and other mods. 
Anything over a 22000 serial no has different bevel gear and bull gears to earlier dry backend HD6. So any of those gears will be harder to find, so be aware. 

tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Dozer987 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 12:59pm
My mistake I thought that the exhaust manifolds that rusted out were only on HD344 motors and that all 6000 motors had cast iron exhaust manifolds. Sorry
The turbo on the 7000 motor is a Thompson model 317 service manual 644918
There is an art to selecting a turbo. If you pick one without using the science,
pick one from a motor with the same cubic inches and operating RPM range
Good Luck
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 10:44pm
what about the pistons what ones spray oil up on the bottom of the pistons to cool them
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 3:52pm
Hey Guys, I bought that turbo for it, got it installed except air intake isn't hooked up yet. I'm trying to decide if I need a bigger air cleaner, probably do, right? I'm waiting on a new engine oil filter, so I haven't started it yet.

Edited by IH Steve - 08 Dec 2023 at 4:03pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 7:37am
make sure to go with a paper element filter on a turbo application
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic