This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 Steering clutch removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagrayfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 Steering clutch removal
    Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 3:13pm
Hi guys,

Took on a project HD5. Currently trying to get the steering clutches out for complete rebuild.
So far i have the fuel tank, battery boxes removed. Clutch cover tops removed.  brake pins removed, and all the bolts out of both sides of the steering clutch packs. But they wont budge upwards one bit. I know i have to get the clutch pack to go into the brake drum a bit.
What are the tricks to getting this thing the rest of the way out? i have tried prying with crow bars and driving chisels into the cracks. i have slight movement but not much.
What else car i try??
Dave
Sponsored Links

Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
Back the release bearing all the way off.
Zagrayfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zagrayfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 8:34am
Ok so I did some looking around and found some have said. To use wedges to force the clutch in. One sujeested fill cavity with oil and to heat the drum up a little at a time and turn into oil. And more extreme ones to cut the drum apart or even torch the pinion flange? Yikes
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 11:58am
You should have 1/8 inch each side to be able removed the stering cluch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic