This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I400 Shuttle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn (NJ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I400 Shuttle
    Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:22am
I looked at a I400 TLB this week but passed on purchasing it because the shuttle jumps out of the forward position. The machine will move if you hold the lever in place but there was nothing there that I could push into to see if could hold it in gear under load. I searched the AGCO parts books and the I400 is not listed and the D10/12 parts does not include the shuttle unit. FYI, the unit was in a shed for a very long sit before it was acquired by the present owner - I suspect due to this issue.

This unit has lots of positives for me, but needing to hold it in the forward position when using the bucket is a deal killer. Has anyone had experience with the shuttle unit? What might be the problem and what might parts availability be? I know that a split would be involved but I don't want to buy the unit, dig into the problem only to add more to my already too large collection of stationary iron.

Thanks for any insight. Glenn
Sponsored Links

SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
MinnPar use to keep parts for AC industrial machines but when I checked their web site they don't have anything listed anymore. You might call them
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 1:58pm
I don't know if the shuttle is any different on the I400 (I'm pretty sure it's the same) than the I600 but the one I had was adjustable by removing the plate on the right side and moving shims from one side to the other. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to buy the machine if all else seems good. The main thing with the shuttle is that you have positive pull when you push and hold it there. If you buy the unit you can get enough help on here how to do the shim adjustment yourself.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 4:11pm
The I400 is different from the I600.   Totally different!

I400 has the gears just ahead of the transmission, uses gears only.  Direction changer using the foot clutch.

I600 also has the gears but set up differently and uses a clutch pack like the hi-lo

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:11pm
So is the I 400 transmission the same as the range transmission in the D10/D12 Series III machines.  If so, maybe on the farm side someone has tackled. 

Orangeman
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by JoeO(CMO) JoeO(CMO) wrote:

The I400 is different from the I600.   Totally different!

I400 has the gears just ahead of the transmission, uses gears only.  Direction changer using the foot clutch.

I600 also has the gears but set up differently and uses a clutch pack like the hi-lo
However, Glenn is talking about holding onto a lever for the forward direction?? I don't think he's talking about the shifter?
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:11pm
If the gears/bearings or fork is worn, this can cause it to kick outta gear.  Never had to face this problem, but based on the numbers sold, parts may be hard to find...Cry

I have a complete I-40/400 shuttle shift (I assume its F-R, since its yellow, and came from a state roads mowing tractor)  Easy argument, to settle, just have to shift the lever, to see if it changes direction of the output shaft...  Anyway its for sale, PM me if you want it...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 18 Jul 2018 at 6:15pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:46am
 Easy argument, to settle, just have to shift the lever, to see if it changes direction of the output shaft...  
[/QUOTE]
I went and found an original dealer brochure on the I400 and I was surprised to see that they offered several options on which trans/shuttle (or no shuttle) set up you wished to have. So on this industrial model some had a straight standard without the shuttle. This would be in keeping with the comment above by JoeO that using the clutch pedal would be necessary to reverse direction.
If I were smart like you Dave I would post the brochure on here for everyone to read and look at... but that will have to wait.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:46am
Alas, I only have the transmission, not the brochure... As to smart, well anything that has been made, can be analyzed...Wink
BradinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:27am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:46pm
In the brochure, you can see the long handle, to the left of the gear shift lever.  That is the shuttle transmission selector.  You have to step on the clutch, just like on a D-10/12, to change direction, just like going from hi to lo, on a d-10/12.  That is the transmission I have for sale...Wink
Glenn (NJ) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn (NJ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 9:25pm
Thanks guys for the feed back and comments. I may have created some confusion refering to this as a "shuttle" transmission as opposed to a "reverser or reversing" transmission since a shuttle on this era Allis tractors
typically was a no clutch big stick. As others have pointed out, this is a gear unit requiring the clutch to operate.

After finding a parts manual online and a having a very nice chat with Ben in Georgia, I learned that it is a constant mesh unit with a sliding collar design like other Allis transmissions and most likely suffers from the usual failure of the collar/gear. It seems that the gears and collar are unique to these units and are NLA. The forward gear set, the collar and some of the other parts are shared with the range unit.

So - it's either used parts or welding and manual profiling of the gear spurs and collar. I'll reach out to DIY Dave about his parts. Glenn

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic