This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Differences between an I-60 and I -600 Forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differences between an I-60 and I -600 Forklift
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:56am
Aside from the serial number on the bell housing - is there any specific way to differentiate between and I-60 and an I-600 forklift?   Decals have been painted over or non existant. 

The AC Rough Terrain Forklift that I am looking at has a 21' lift and has a large  hand lever on the left to control the shuttle clutch.  The lever, is solid for its entire length.  There is no bell or detent at the top of the shuttle clutch lever like the H-3's or the 615 industrials. 

I looked through the AC Industrial literature and it appears that the I-60 forklift had a soft grill like the D15 and the I-600's forklifts had the hard nose grill like the 615's.  Am leaning toward the I-600 forklift as this machine has the hard nose grill which would put it into the early 70's production period - Topeka Kansas plant. 

Any insights/guidance appreciated.   

Thank- You....

Orangeman

Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:52pm
When they get as old, as it is, its hard to find out by distinguishing parts, sometimes they is a cut and paste project, that several owners put together...Wink
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:59pm
You might try looking for sales literature on EBAY. I have a Sales book from the sixties which may have the differences in it. I will look and advise.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 5:23am
The machine has been in the same ownership since new - only mod. was the addition of 100 series fenders.  I did leaf through ebay and my library files and books - only difference I can see is the front grill.  

There were a few options on tire and rim sizes. 

Appreciative of the insights Dave and Curt! 

All the best!   Orangeman 
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:35pm
The salesman's book/price list shows the I-60 with the hard nose grill. It also lists the installation of the forklift attachment group on to a D-15.Date of sales book is may, 1966.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:44pm
I Can check the literature but I know that the only difference between and I60 and I600 TLB was the backhoe. No difference on the tractor.  All I 60's have a hard nose. 

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 25 Jun 2018 at 8:45pm
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 4:17pm
Curt and Calvin:  Thanks much for the extra bits of information.  I think AC marketing had more to do with the change than say the engineering side of the business.  

It stands to reason that the I-40 at that same time period became the I-400 and I 60 base tractors became the I-600.  From what I have learned there were few if any differences. 

Appreciative of all the insights!

Orangeman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic