This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn head grease?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn head grease?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:08am
   I am using AGCO cornhead grease in some gearboxes that are prone to leaking out of seals like my Allis rakes and manure spreader.May not be perfect but it does stay put and it seems to lubricate things ok.
    My question is does anyone have a good way of pumping that stuff? It comes in half liter plastic bottles.I can only get about 2/3 out.
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:14am
I dont use AGCO but have a 5 gallon bucket of it and use an ordinary suction gun. Put the hose in the grease and pull the handle back to fill.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 20 Apr 2018 at 8:15am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:27am
The local JD dealer stocks that stuff in grease gun tubes also.

I don't use large quantities so that works for me.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:36am
We used a lot of it when I worked at Deere, the techs would set the bottles in a sink of hot water to
Get it thin to flow into bearings and cavities, you might try a bucket of hot water
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:54am
I buy it from Deere in grease gun cartridges. Pretty handy that way. 
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

The local JD dealer stocks that stuff in grease gun tubes also.

I don't use large quantities so that works for me.

CNH has it tubes also and I think a tad cheaper. My Hugger Head leaks a couple cases a year. I have a dedicated DeWalt cordless grease gun for it. I keep mine next to the furnace in the basement to help it flow or if the combine is on the road I blast the heat while it’s in the pickup.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 5:52pm
I generally drill in a grease zerk, close to the leaky seal, and pump in about 7-8 shots of Amsoil synthetic grease, #2 rating.  That stuff is stickier than cat crap!  I've done it on leaky bush hog gearboxes, and it holds the oil in, above it...  I just grease'em about 1x a year, when I start the season...
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:34pm
I've looked on BOTH Farm & Fleet and Fleetfarm sites and can't come up with anything about corn head grease.  Is there another name for it?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:05pm
Flow able grease. Also pourable grease
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
I get the tubes at JD dealer and with an air grease gun doesn't take long to fill a gearbox
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:00pm
I think he wants NGLI 3 or NGLI 4 grease, Ted. If you want pourable grease for a gearbox you want NGLI 00.

Edited by DougS - 20 Apr 2018 at 8:02pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:06pm
NLGI 3 or 4 grease is on the firm side...corn head grease is NLGI 0. It's very soft, almost fluid like. It won't hold shape, which makes it good for gearboxes. 

Ted, here's a couple links:

Down here we have another product...cotton picker grease. It's 00 and even thinner than corn head grease. 

Edited by CrestonM - 20 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I've looked on BOTH Farm & Fleet and Fleetfarm sites and can't come up with anything about corn head grease.  Is there another name for it?

As we have pointed out CNH and Deere sell it probably Agco as well
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:43pm
Corn head "gearbox" grease is a better description.
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:16pm
I use the John Deere Multi-lube. It is a pour-able grease that was designed for use in central lube set ups with a hand pump that Deere used on baler knotters, corn pickers and many other implements. Comes in quart bottles. I even use it as assembly lube when installing bearings on crankshafts during overhauls. Tom
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:58am
There's a deja vu about all this. It's been brought up before. First, NGLI 2 is standard grease gun thickness. The lower the number, the thinner the grease. Also, do not shop for grease purely by NGLI number. You want an HP (high pressure) grease for gearbox use. You want marine grease where water is an issue. So on and so forth. Most of all, do not mix your greases. If you do not know what kind of grease is in your gear box (moly, lithium, etc), drain the gear box and refill/replenish it with the same type of grease every time.
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:56am
Agco sells it in tube form as well, we do not stock it in a bottle anymore for the above mentioned reason.
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:57pm
Thanks guys I'll check with the dealers next time I am in town.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 10:02am
Yep them flowable greases #0 , 00 , 000 - also the semi-fluid used in outboard stern drive on boats of lower units on outboards . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic