This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off color? vac case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off color? vac case
    Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:11am
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with a vac case? Iv found one pretty cheap and sence my grandpa farmed with on it got me kinda interested in it. Iv alwase assumed that they was pretty much equivalent to a b or c allis but, looking at there stats on tractor data it looks like they mite be a little heavier. Kinda wondeing what to expect out of one before i go look at it. Thanks Wil
Sponsored Links

mintenfarmer View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mintenfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:52pm
The rear tires are bigger on a vac than a b or c allis tractor. I've drove both but can't say as to which is better because the vac I drove need a clutch and was easy to kill taking off which gave me a bad taste for em. However they are a simple tractor and I would buy one if I didn't already have 3 small allis tractors
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:16pm
Well like i said frist i wouldnt be very interested if it wasnt for the fact that grandpa had one, and i got what left of it. I never seen it run but i sit on it sevral hr pretending i was doing something
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:23pm
Learned to drive tractor on a VAC Case when I was about 8.  Not a bad small tractor.  Foot throttle was handy.  Once you got really good you could speed shift the square cut gears.....    They did make a mounted  2 bottom plow system and internal hydraulics for it, but no draft control.  Reasonable small tractor. 
67 D15 S2
83 5015
Several Kubotas'                     
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Reindeer Reindeer wrote:

Learned to drive tractor on a VAC Case when I was about 8.  Not a bad small tractor.  Foot throttle was handy.  Once you got really good you could speed shift the square cut gears.....    They did make a mounted  2 bottom plow system and internal hydraulics for it, but no draft control.  Reasonable small tractor. 

That about all that was left fo grandpaws that i have. Is the rearend with that funky hitch and plow.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:41pm
I've heard lots of good things about the VAC and VAC-14, including the ones already mentioned. 
kenbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:43pm
I guess I am the guy to weigh in as I have both a VAC with Eagle hitch and a CA.  The CA has more power I am sure.  Part of it is the Allis governor/throttle response is better than almost any tractor I have experienced. (Guess that is why they are on all those carnival rides).   I like to say the CA is over engineered and underbuilt.  The VAC is underengineered but overbuilt.  The CA proudly boasts of no grease zirks.  The VAC has lots.  When new the Allis was a superior tractor.  When old, it seems the VAC is a lot less prone to leakage, and as far as my tractor is concerned gives me less trouble.   VAC without the Eagle hitch aren't worth more than about $800.  With and in good shape, $1200.  A completely restored one would be hard to bring $2000 I think.   The CA is a hotrod.  The VAC is built in the clunky Case style.  They made 150000 vac's so it isn't hard to find someone who grew up driving one.  Except for their lack of power, I have never heard a bad thing about them.   The Vac is listed as an 8mph tractor.  I think those tests were done with 28's.  Later ones like mine had 34's, so they are faster, but probably not tractor ride fast.   I prefer my VAC because it is slower in lower gears too.  My odd 2acre plot has no garden runs more than 100 ft and I appreciate the slowness for that. 
kenbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm
I will add an example of repairs:  Both of mine are narrow front end.  Both leak out the bottom of the pedestal.  The Allis I had no choice but to fix as with the lighter lubricants you could top it off one day and it would all be on the garage floor the next.     The Vac takes gear grease.  Yes, it pushes out the bottom, but you can wipe it off, give it a couple squirts and go on.  

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:49pm

That the hitch on the one i have. It not mine but same setup. This one pre dates the eagle hitch.
Im not going on any tractor rides or such anyway. Just fooling about the place.

Edited by Wdtractorman - 19 Apr 2018 at 5:55pm
kenbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
It is the perfect tractor for fooling around!  It is easier to get on and off than the Allis, especially for those in the geezer class like myself.  It is my go to  tractor for lots of different things.

I am not experienced with the lifts on non_Eagle hitch tractors. THey had a hydraulic system and before that a mechanical lift, I think.   That looks like what you got.  Forgot to mention on my tractor the hydraulics that run the eagle hitch are run off a pump at the front of the tractor rather than the back like an Allis so I have live hydraulics any time the tractor is running.  That is nice.  
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:33pm
I have owned multiple Allis C and CAs and one 1951 Case VAC tractor, I would take the VAC anytime over a C or CA Allis. You can't compare a VAC with 3pt hitch to an Allis C or B. A C Allis would compare to a VAC without 3pt, but a CA Allis would compare to the VAC with eagle hitch 3pt. Case started offering the 3pt Eagle hitch in 1948.

My VAC had 11.2-34" rear tires, narrow front, eagle hitch (3pt) and fresh engine rebuild.
pros of the VAC:
foot throttle, very handy
can learn to speed shift with foot throttle
better gear selection (4 gears)
better road speed (mine went 16mph)
independent hydraulics
3pt hitch
disk brakes
better operator platform
more weight
built heavier
can pull mounted 2-14s in 2nd, 3rd in sand

Pros of the Allis CA:
slower reverse speed
sits lower to the ground
hand clutch for live PTO
traction booster draft control
easier on gas
easier to remove the battery
better governor

Parts are easy to find for both tractors in my area. If I had needed live pto I might like the CA better but if you don't need it, I would go with the VAC with 3pt
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:02am
I also learned to drive a tractor that was the VAC Case. we used that tractor everyday for spraying, packing corn, running an auger, running a belt drive elevator, pulling wagons, the best little jockey/chore tractor we had at the time. ours was pretty powerful for its size. pulled a lot of hay wagons hooked together and were stacked 11 high. a brother used to coast it down hills on the road to get to the other farms faster. one day he was in 3rd gear and got to going to fast and popped the clutch back out and shattered that gear in the tranny! dad drained that rear end, washed it out and put the plug back in, filled with gear grease, and it was like that the rest of it's life. just missing that one gear. I built a platform on the back, used it to go camping in the forested hills of our area, it carried all the camping supplies. I was also chased by a train on some back woods rail road tracks one day. the rear tires would fit outside the rails and I could move to other fields quicker by going down the tracks than by taking the roads. we did have to wait for the daily train to pass first. it did, and off I went, for some reason there was a 2nd train that day! PffffT! the engineer was laughing his azz off and tooting the horn behind me! I couldn't get off the tracks til I came to a crossing! whew! yeah...that foot throttle was handy!   
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:41am
Dad's first tractor he owned was a VAC he bought from his Dad when his Dad, Grandpa Lindquist, owned an independent repair shop up at Paynesville MN. Grandpa brought it down to Dad and sold it to him cheap. Dad says it had good power but otherwise he thought it was an average tractor. The tractor never ran right though. It would quit at random. In the mean time Dad bought a WC and sold the VAC to a friend who had fought with making the tractor run right and finally removed the fuel tank and found it had pieces of wooden shingles floating in it. Since the fuel tank was baffled you could not see the junk in there. What sold Dad on going with Allis was when he bought a WD45. Dad grew up on a DC Case and an M Farmall, a Super M and a Super C. Both Supers were new at the time. But he is still an all Allis man at 78 years young.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:19am
had one of those hitches laying around for a long time....never knew what it was from..!
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:38pm
Wow i never thought id get this much traffic. Im going to try to end up with it. Only thing holding me up is sick youngsters right know. them little critters come frist. Thanks

Its funny everone compare a vac and a ca, because a buddy drop of his ca for me to get running a few days ago and this moring he told me to price it lol. Mite end up with both!
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:11am
I had one years ago, run and drove good, liked the foot throttle, had the eagle hitch which was good. Now the bad, not a lot of power and the brakes were terrible. A co worker wanted it so I sold it to him
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:24am
We had both a CA and  VAC at the same time back in the 60's on the farm and I'd take a
CA 2x over a VAC,but its all what you like.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:57pm
Well the vac got passed me. I though i had appointment to look at it this morning. I had talked to him tuesday about looking at it but apently someone was in front of me. Owell there be another one along.
kenbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm
Maybe you were meant to have the ca

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 9:00pm
Lol tell the wife. She dosnt think i need it bc it was mine once, and it worce shape than when i sold it. Wich for me means it need my attention and care to her it means that much less that she mite get for vacation fund lol.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 8:39am
was at the elevator yesterday, and by golly, they have a VAC Case tractor with a loader and rear blade they use around the property. didn't look to see how the rear blade was mounted. but it's the first one I've ever seen with a loader on one!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:12pm
The VA series that SHOULD have a loader, is the VAI... industrial... heavy front axle.  Just so happens I have a VAI frontend and steering... and two parts VACs.  I could build up one good machine from it all, but kinda have my hands full with other projects right now.

Anybody interested?Tongue
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:22pm
If you was a closer i would be
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic