This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd5 purchase orig owner thoughts & questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd5 purchase orig owner thoughts & questions
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:36am
New to the site...thank you for allowing me to be a part of it...I just purchased this unit from the original owner family. It was bought new and had never left the farm/ranch as he said. What I know (I think I know)...he said it's either a 54 or 55 model year hd5, has a baker blade set up and he said it has a root rake for it as well. It hasn't been started in 8 yrs and the left steering clutch lever has no tension (the right side seemed to be fine)when pulled back and he said it was being operated while this happened and parked since. He said everything was original on it but it did have an alt. on it which I don't believe to be orignal (not a big deal) it had the 2-71 detroit which seemed to be stuck but was able to rotate it a SMALL bit. I noticed the exhaust stack wasnt covered and looked down it to no surprise had water in it. I paid 500 for it thinking worse case have to put new cyl. liners in it. Any one have any thoughts on the best way to revive the old 2-71 before a complete tear down should happen and thoughts on the left steering clutch...I'm not a equipment mechanic but have been in the automotive side for 20 plus years...looking for advice and thoughts a and parts supply...a lot of parts...I will send pics when I get them
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:23am
If you can rotate a small bit he is't stuck you can removed the motor side plate and used some wd40 on side sleeve it could help and if I can help am still have some parts for HD5
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:57am
Gemdozer has been working with the HD5 for quite some time now and should be a big help for you with parts and advice. While I owned one at one time I didn't have to do a lot of work on it as it was mechanically very sound and just didn't give me any trouble. I did have to rebuild the undercarriage but that doesn't require a masters degree to do. It's hard to believe that someone would let it set with no cover over the exhaust. When you get it ready to start make sure you have a big ball of rags at your finger tips to stuff in the intake in case it runs away. Look on you tube to see it happen. Find out as soon as you can what you will have to do to it as far as parts are concerned. While some are available new you mostly will have to settle for used, so you need to start looking now. Hope you can get it going soon.  Leon
JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:32am
Good advice thank you...I'm not a diesel mechanic so that's good info to know but I have heard that those old Detroit's are a die hard motor. I'm like you Leon, why would you not have it covered, the older gentleman did tell me he was retiring and everything is being sold or scraped so he may not had cared. He told me he remembered when his dad bought it and brought it home...it just seems for something to be 60+ yrs in the family you would still have a sense of wanting to care for it...I love old equipment and enjoy the family rich stories that go with them. I gonna try today and see if I can get a few things inline for it to be started...it's been asleep for a while and want to wake it peacefully and properly...so if it starts screaming, that's when I start choking huh...lol...wish me luck
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:35am
If has been watered for any period of time drag it out of the machine and tear it apart. Could have stuck valves, injector plungers, the rack will undoubtedly be locked in place, be a good time to freshen up an old engine and Inspect EVERYTHING before set off the grenade and ruin everything. Too easy to strip it down and too cheap to fully overhaul a 2/71.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:39am
As to replacing sleeves, these engines REQUIRE a snug slip fit, not a drop in and bounce or drive in but a Snug Slip fit or they will fail. Get a good 71 series engine manual if do decide to open it up and rebuild it. Sleeves/piston/rod assemblies are designed to install as a unit in these also.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:04am
You could  check too the blower by removing the intake
JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:51am
I am a firm believer in manuals but I am new to this equipment and not sure of the resources to find QUALITY manuals. I did look on ebay but unsure about what I was buying...there is a difference between a maintenance manual and a service manual. I see ads with manuals on various sites just not sure anyone have any suggestions? also something I noticed is some models are refered to as hd5 "G" or some other letter to designate a model. can someone please elaborate a bit on that. i really appreciate all the responses everyone has given me...thank you
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:59am
5G designates loader machine instead of dozer.  nice thing about the Detroit machines its parts are still readily available.

that's engines not whole machines

Edited by CAL(KS) - 12 Mar 2018 at 8:15am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:03am
Not a problem in Florida but one i bought was locked up - water got into blower housing and froze , broke one lobe off blower, locking engine .
 Until you start removing parts you will not know what is wrong - the manual for the machine has a complete guide to both machine and engine . 
 Sleeves are held in place by contact with head as well as snug fit to bore of block - they protrude from block deck about .005 and adjusted by shimming sleeve to deck spacing .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:55pm
Kind of a funny story about a 671 in a mobile home toter. The driver told me he arrived in Denver with the mobile home and noticed he had a fairly serious oil leak. So he called back home and the boss said to watch the oil level and bring it back home to Hutchinson to repair, and that's what he did. The next day or so the mechanic called him to the back and showed him the oil pan and it had a bolt sticking out of the bottom of the pan. Where did it come from? Hard to believe but it was a connecting rod bolt. He said they checked the bearing, put in two new bolts and buttoned it back up. Ran as good as it ever did.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:27am
My post "Like I Need Another Project" is on the top of page 10 of this forum.
My HD5 was stored without the exhaust pipe covered. There is a picture of the water in the cylinder. If I had rotated the motor it would have done more damage. Your first step is to remove the cylinder head. The next step is to pre oil the motor. Rotating a Detroit Diesel is easy because a lever can be placed in the openings in the crankshaft pulley.
JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:01pm
thanks dozer...great article. I read where someone said that metal rescue was decent. I wonder if anyone has used it for this situation and how successful it was. I figured if I am looking at new liners and pistons (and god knows what else...lol) what's the risk if I am gonna rebuild it anyhow. but yes I am planning on pulling the head and giving an assessment and cleaning the head up and injectors and make sure things are at their best of what they can be at giving their current situation if its horribly bad then I already have the head off and on my way
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by JamieH JamieH wrote:

thanks dozer...great article. I read where someone said that metal rescue was decent. I wonder if anyone has used it for this situation and how successful it was. I figured if I am looking at new liners and pistons (and god knows what else...lol) what's the risk if I am gonna rebuild it anyhow. but yes I am planning on pulling the head and giving an assessment and cleaning the head up and injectors and make sure things are at their best of what they can be at giving their current situation if its horribly bad then I already have the head off and on my way

I have used Metal Rescue and it is a great product. I keep 5 gallon pail around always. Have not used it this type of situation but have used it for engine parts on both an Oliver and Bobcat Skidsteer and they really cleaned up nice after a good soak and then wire wheel cleaning.

Good luck on your project.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:36pm
after reading the entire thread I would bet your biggest issue is a stuck blower. if the pistons were stuck you would not be able to turn it at all. they are easy and inexpensive to repair. you might be able to find a good runner especially if you are near a large port as the 2-71 were used on a lot of boat generators.
as far as the steering clutch I would bet the throwout bearing on that side went bad. they are still available at steeringclutches.com. if it has been sitting the steering clutches are most likely frozen and would have to come out anyway. not a bad job if the clutches are not frozen into the drum. Fuel tank has to come off to access the steering clutch compartments. I have a hd5b with the baker blade and I just got done restoring it and I just love the machine. easy to operate, easy on fuel, easy to work on. good luck!
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:10pm
what I did find on the steering clutches is that the bushing in the linkages just above is gone/missing. so I'm sure that's 80% of my problem...the right side steering clutch seems to function fine. the pull has tension from about 3" from the beginning of the pull and has spring tension as you let go, as well as the engine clutch. so I'm hopefull but doubtful. as for the blower I thought about trying to remove it and check it out. do you have to remove the front engine cover to take it off the engine. I'm gonna try to soak the pistons and see it will come loose but have all intensions to rebuild it. just having issues making sure of the right numbers from the engine as to ordering the correct parts. one would think a 2-71 there wouldn't be to many variations. do you have any pics of your completed or work during hd5. I would like to post but having issues try to figure out how to upload them...the file size is to big and not sure how to make them smaller(not very tech savy), but if you give me a wrench...lol 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:40pm
Don't use the wrench on the camera!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:17am
You do't need to removed the motor front cover for removing the blower
JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm

John that takes all the fun out. that just sets the stage for another project. to fix the things you broke while fixing other broke things.

JamieH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamieH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:48pm
Well I had finally got a chance to get into it...don't remember if it was this post but someone said to check the blower...and sure enough it had ALOT of water in it. So with it being off I'm able to clean up the ports and other areas along with the blower. The blower itself didn't have much oil in the with the rotors making me believe the seals were decent when it was shut off...not for saying much for now or what will be...but i feel it will be well enough for now to run. The engine spins over well also. I think my hassle now will be the injectors and getting them unclogged. I pulled one apart to clean it but i didn't see much to have any concern in the way of water or rust... just couldn't produce a good spray or mist when I tapped the plunger. I may just soak the other in some solvent and see what results it will produce. Im sure some are saying to just rebuild now but considering the circumstance and how things do appear i feel the chances to make it run well are really good and do have full intention to do so at another point. I bought this to work on a piece of property for a short period of time and just need it to do that...i need about one weeks worth of use from it then i can tear it down completely and refurb it. Feeling optimistic about it. Just need to cross reference all the filters to good numbers now and hopefully next weekend it will be going
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:18pm
One thing you need to do is, when you start it, start on an idle or drop the RPM as quick as you can, until oil pressure comes up. Then you can add some RPM to it.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:22am
The motor can be pre-oiled before starting. If you have the oil pan off remove the oil pump and pump oil directly into the oil passage. I have the fittings that bolt on ware the oil pump was. Another method is to pump oil into the oil pressure gage line. I use a porta power pump filed with motor oil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic