This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis FDX40-24 is almost ready for service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis FDX40-24 is almost ready for service
    Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 1:27pm
Hi guys and gals,
Thought I'd post an update to my 1965 Allis Chalmers FDX40-24 Lift truck with a Buda D175 diesel engine (called the Safety Diesel).  This was used around dangerous and hazardous materials, with no electrics and a watercooled exhaust and spark arrestor.  I bought this unit 3 months ago with the intentions of a quick repair and use it to put up a 2 post lift I bought.  After that I would work on it as time was available to slowly repair it.  Well as things turned out it's been 3 months into the repair and I can finally say it's only 2 weeks away from being finished.  I restored everything back to serviceable condition and am in the process of painting and finishing the unit.  I have to say I've never seen a piece of equipment  this abused before.  Everything was totally spent from the cracked engine block, water cooled exhaust manifold, seized fuel pump, broken steering box and damage from being left out in the field and dragged around the farm with a tractor.  From what I can figure, it was the steering box that finally brought Allis to a stop, unable to steer the unit, it was dragged out to the field to rest.  It wasn't until I saw it in the local Craigslist that it was dragged onto my trailer and put in my shop.  I was able to get both the service and operators manual for it so I could at least know how things were when it was in service.  Overall it runs pretty good all things considered and I will more than likely rebuild the engine in future, but for now it will be put back in service and repaired on a need be bases.  Here's some pictures and video's of Allis.:

Run up and test hydraulics

Done the fab work and prep for paint 

Test2
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 2:02pm
wow ! I'd hate to think what mine looks like inside ! Buda 4BD153 engine,sigh. Seems EVERYTHING we turn a wrench on these days becomes a HUGE project. Sure glad you got her 'up and running', hopefully will earn her keep.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:56pm
Thanks Jay, I've had many a time when I thought it's better to stop than continue.:), but it was a fun challenge non the less.  I'm glad as well that it's almost done and she'll definately earn her keep.:)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:45pm
Great job bringing her back. You are right about this old iron. Even the simplest task can go south on ya and if you break a part you can be in big trouble with no replacement parts availabil.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:24am
Thanks Jerbob, the most time spent was welding the block and manifold.  Second was the blocken steering box that was missing the bottom bearing race.  I ended up machining the upper and lower races to fit ball bearings as that's all I can find that would work.  
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
Impressive. I am restoring a 1961 HD16DC. Was lucky in that engine is strong and tranny is good. Extent of my current abilities are wrenching and basic repair. Not strong at fabricating and welding but getting better. Welcome to the forum.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:23am
Thanks Jerbob, the HD16DC sure looks like the business.:)  Will be nice when your done.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 2:20pm
WHEN is sure the truth. Waiting for warm weather to be able to paint and power wash.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:01pm
Just a little update on Allis.  I did the rest of the bodywork on her and painted it yellow.  All thats left to finish is build a radiator guard, finish the dash,install new guages, electrics, start switch etc and she's finished.:) 

A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:13pm
I forgot to add some pictures and video of the mast.

[TUBE]m11BSZvW_6Y[/TUBE]

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 5:36pm
My goodness, what a project! And it's looking good. It's amazing how well the engine runs by the way it looked when you started. Congrts. on gutting it out and bringing it back to life. Every time you start you'll feel a little flush of pride and deservedly so.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 6:15pm
Thanks, I really enjoyed the challenge and it's a testament to just how well Allis Chalmers were built.:)
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:18pm
Here's the oil analysis of the oil I drained out of the crankcase before I pulled the oil pan off.  I've now run the engine 5 hrs under light loads and for long periods at 2100 rpms to try and burn the carbon out of the engine.  I've drained the oil again and sent another sample off to make sure there is no coolant in the oil as the welding I did was with the liners still in the block.  In the future I might treat the engine to new liners and bearings. Oh the engine happens to be a Buda D175 not a BD153, something I learned later after my first report was sent.  This report gives you an idea of how badly it was treated.  No oil changes, no air filter, no grease or maintenance of any type was done on this unit for years, maybe decades.
Here's the report.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 5:42am
What a great tutorial. So good to see these old pices of equipment lovingly being restored and put back to work. Great job!
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:57am
Thank you.:)
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:52am
Before you change the oil again, put a few more hours on it and draw another sample, compare it to the 1st one. You might want to do a 3rd one to get a better picture of activity inside your engine. Back in the 70's and 80's I became involved with this it was very interesting. Good Luck with your project. Its looking GOOD.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:17pm
Thanks, I'll post the results from the 5 hr run when I get the report in a couple of weeks.  If the report is good, I'll take another sample in 20 hrs or so and see what it looks like.:) 
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:51pm
Here's the new gauges installed.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 7:41pm
That dash looks great! Nice job.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 8:28pm
Thanks, gauges and decals are from a model C tractor.  I did try to find forklift gauges and decals to no avail, so model C it will be.:)
Corey743 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey743 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 4:49am
A310 what is the lift capacity of your lift and would you be able to tell me an approximate weight on your machine. I have found one that I'm interested in that is similar to yours and I don't want to spend more on it than it is worth . Thanks
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:09am
Hi Corey743, The forklift's weight is 7000 lbs and will lift 4000 lbs.  If you look at the dash picture above you can see the capacities.  I'll take a close up picture of the tag and post it this afternoon so you can get a petter veiw.  
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 4:52pm
Here's the listed capacities.:

Corey743 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey743 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 7:06pm
Thanks for the information ac310 that is a big help to me.
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Your welcome and goodluck on your purchase.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:29am
wow ! makes me almost want  to teardown and rebuild my fpd50-24-2ps, made in Guelph( 30 miles from me) as well. ALMOST.
I replaced the fan belt last week. Yeesh, what a job. that 'small' cast iron 'cover' for the hydraulic pump must weigh over 300# ! I used a motorcycle lift. found out the hard weigh there's a top and a bottom to it(holes ain't centered),sigh.
Have to admit ,out of all the 'things with wheels', I've bought over the past 30 years, the forklift has been a GREAT investment. Just have to remember it is NOT an 'offroad' vehicle.When it finds a mud puddle, it'll sit in there until the cows come home.
In the dash picture ,is that a pressure gauge in the far right ?
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 10:05am
Hi Jay,  True they sure are handy to have around.  This project started when I decided to put up my two post lift and use a forklift to do it.  Wasn't planning a refurb, but that's what happened in the end.:)  I can use this for all kinds of projects around the shop as it's so small it fits anywhere.  The guage on the far right is oil pressure and to the left of that is hydraulic pressure.  The hydraulic pressure gauge used to read accumulator pressure when it had a hydraulic starter.  The previous owner unfortunately threw that away, so it now just reads hydraulic pressure.  Do you have a picture of your FPD50?  Here's a video I just did yesterday, one step further to completion.  [TUBE]aks79-uQbhY[/TUBE]
Cheers

Harling 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic