This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd7 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd7 questions
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:04pm
I have an old 7, they were not thought well of in the day by most but I like mine, you just have to remember that the 7 10 and 14 were built in the early forties and would compare mostly to the RD cats. They are more than a 7U D4 and less than a 9U D6. I would much rather run a HD7 than a 7U D4 but I can't say that about a 9U D6 probably one of the best ag tractors ever built( they did just about everything right). The hd 10s and 7s that were used for ag had a bad habit of the tracks going pigeon toed when bushings wore a bit, didn't seem to hurt anything just looked funny. The 3-71 is the bright spot for the HD7, that vintage used what was called a low block detroit and a two valve head, parts are still available.  There are many things you can do to a Detroit Diesel if you want to make horsepower. During WWII my dad said they always kept at least one HD with the Cats so when the shooting started they could push start the Cats with  ACs because they would start fast.   Tad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KGvx55kjc
Sponsored Links

Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:59am
I had heard Case 850 rails will work on the HD-7.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:38pm
According to my Allis Chalmers book it looks like they have a 6.5" pitch instead of 7" ? I wouldn't be against buying rails for it if there's something else out there with the same pitch. Could a person convert it to say a John Deere 450 track group and sprocket? or does anyone build them up anymore?
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:45am
Was looking at machinery trader page at FL5 , FL7, FL9 machines or if you are looking for dozer look under FD5, FD7, FD9 - lot of machine for lower cost than Cat or other brands . 
 Know my FD5 would outwork my old D6 just is speed and handling - Power Shift is a fantastic invention 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:02am
yes new clutch discs can be bought from General Gear in Idaho

give these guys a call.  they have salvage crawlers and I have bought from them for a previous HD10W we had.  They will have a roller and probably a usable track and would likely be less expense than new pins and bushings if they can even be found.  having pins and bushings turned is going to run about 1500$ per side,  so a usable track is the way to go.    if the pin bosses are hitting on the truck wheels underneath then thats a big task, and likely not worth doing.    if its only on the upper roller it could be changed out.  We bought a good track set for that 10W that our friend now owns for 1200$ I think.  See what they have vs what you need and price the machine accordingly.

im not trying to turn you off here but for someone looking for a machine for occasional use there comes a point when repairing is not worth it.   I also hate to see a machine waste away because nobody wants to put in the effort.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 30 Nov 2017 at 9:06am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:04am
If the pin boss is contacting the flanges - means the wear on either or both is at or near end of life - 
 The choice is how much do you have to invest after your first expenditure to acquire the project ?
 When i first got my first HD5G I built up the rail height and ran it for about a year when I first started in business - then when track started walking off on jobs and finally had to take a link out of one track when it broke a link - put new track and sprockets on it after finishing that job . 
 The D6 well after the D5 track and segmented sprockets , rear seals, transmission, rod and main bearings, and when the the ring gear and side bearings went - full machine was scrapped back to Cat Dealer - for about what i had in track cost. 
 Can one say LOST big on machine
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 6:50pm
Does anyone still make pins and bushings for the rails? Somewhere I read that maybe John Deere or case had bushings of the same dimension? The grousers and sprockets are really good, but the bushings show a lot of wear and looks like the rollers have been rubbing the pin bosses. One carrier roller has fell down, guessing the bearing is out. Are steering clutch parts still availiable?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
"How is it that the saw is still being made but parts are nla in the usa ."

Seems like you can ask the same question of Fiat parts.  There still seem to be plenty that can get from Italy to Australia - but via "parallel importers".
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 2:00pm
Stihl is doing the same thing to there chainsaws. Parts for older saws are getting harder and harder to get .Like the 038 stihl chainsaw made from 1978-1996 in the usa and is still being made overseas. But the parts are getting nla . How is it that the saw is still being made but parts are nla in the usa . Its because epa and the fact there lasting to long and they need to sell new ones.  But on the other hand who would have thought back in the 60s-70s homelite and mcculloch would be a chainsaw of the past.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:48pm
can see that also i the HD4 , HD5 , HD6 stuff of the 50's and 60's but then as AC went out in the 80's those machines are all vintage - 
the HD7 of early years well back in the 70's they were hard to find parts for 
Then even my FD5 has limited availability as the Fiat dealer network has changed as New Holland, Case, AC and such came under the Fiat network . 
 A lot of the old names now are foreign ownership and even those companies have faced integration of their lines as mergers and acquisitions come about . Big fish swallowing the competition or a hard times blip leaving a opening to be swallowed by outside player .

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:20pm
Been hearing rumors from those at a local Cat dealer that their line of Classic Parts is on a short list to remove from service. They are wanting to sell NEW MACHINES and not so much parts to keep old ones running. I have also had dealing with a Deere dealer to that same pretext, they are looking to discontinue to offering older model repair parts as new/newer machines are not selling.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:13pm
The fact that Cat is still in business most parts for 50's vintage Cat are still available today. But that could change at any time.

The D6 is a bit more power and weight and a reverse lever,so will be a little more productive in straight pushing. But a pony motor that bock's can start your day on a down ward spiral.But there are options to make any vintage a direct start today. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm
HD7 of that vintage is going to be a hard item to find parts for - the Detroit engine is the easy part - beyond that better have crystal ball and good luck charms 
 If the track or other undercarriage needs anything it might be unobtainum material that it's made from . 
 It's a lighter machine than the D6 and was made in limited numbers so no where near the parts out there - then when I had my D6 9U I ended up having to put D5 track on it as 6 track was not around .
 And that D6 got traded off for a HD4 AC which got traded off for a FD5 - fiat/allis 
same as the HD5B dozer found a new owner - the FD5 replaced 4 machines in use  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 9:57am
its a gated pattern.  you move the shifter in a C pattern to leave 1 gear and go to another,  not just straight up and down.  once you get used to it no big deal but can be a pain at first.  going to be cumbersome compared to the skid steer but moving dirt in a straight line will go faster with dozer as you can move a lot more.  holes and piles will move faster shorter distances,  long distances its better to load and carry ie skidsteer.

I don't know anything about the d6 other than if its about the same vintage it wont be much different.  maby slightly larger than an HD7
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 9:37am
I am looking at buying a old Detroit powered hd7 to restore and use a little bit. I am somewhat confused about the shift pattern.seems like the gearshift hooks around each gear? How is it going to compare in dirt moving to my tracked skidsteer? How Would it compare to a d6 9u?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic