This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Auction for the Rest of Us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:02am
Thank you for the great pics. What a road warrior!
Sponsored Links

Garlic Pete View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 9:35pm

I got the time to experiment with the hydraulic pump.  It had obviously been previously installed, but also was obviously not the factory item.  It was sitting loose on the back of the frame when the tractor was bought.

The plumbing attached to it has a relief valve on the pressure side and a Y on the supply side, giving two supply connections and two pressure connections.  The tractor only appears to have one supply and one pressure connection.  For now, I just put plugs in the extra connections on the pump.

Even though it appeared that the pump had been removed as found, I could find no way to fish it into the place where it needed to be, so I removed the sheave and bracket, then reinstalled in the tractor.  Here are some photos.

With that pump hooked up and plumbed in, I filled the reservoir.  No leaks, so I'm almost ready for a test drive.

First, I removed the foot valve for the air brakes.  It was frozen up and I'll probably have to get a new one, this piston looks grown together with the aluminum housing.

Oh well, I have the big brake out front, so time to give all the systems a test.  Here's a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Urn7Sn5Yu4&feature=youtu.be

Overall, it looks like everything works as it should.  I still need to get the one fuel injector pulled and cleaned to eliminate the miss, the divider plunger to change from blade slope to blade tilt is still frozen and I need to fix that brake air valve.  Then, of course, the entire electrical system.

At least I'm at the point that I can play a bit.

Pete.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 12:33am
I wonder how a machine like that would work for packing silage?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:05pm

This weekend I got some more work done.   Still haven't been able to get the bad injector pulled.  I'm afraid to put too much "pry" on those hold down ears for fear of breaking one.  I did run it around for an hour or two with the hold down nuts loose.  I'm hoping that the heat and cool cycles and combustion pressure cycles might help loosen that injector if I just leave it uncontained for a while.  If it doesn't work loose soon, I'm considering using a jaw type bearing puller with a spanner bar to maybe put more gentle lifting pressure on those hold down ears.

I did get the frozen air brake valve removed from under the floor, disassembled and freed up.  Here's a couple pictures of it in situ:

Removing it was another "Stand on your Head" job.

Once it was out, my first thought was to go to Chester Avenue Brake, who have been in town for over 100 years, and see about cheap replacement, rebuild kits or if they could free this valve up.  I walked in the door and Phil, the counterman (and one of the sons who now owns the joint) just looked at me, looked at what I had in my hand and began shaking his head.

He let me walk up to the counter while, still shaking his head, he asked "Don't you people own ANYTHING that was made after 1954?"

He went on to say "Let me tell you how bad this is:  See this part here (indicating the body of the valve)?  This part is at least a standard Bendix part, it is just one that has been out of production for at least thirty years."

We went on to say "See this plate and the plunger which the pedal attaches too?  That is no doubt a specific part manufactured by whoever made your machine.  That is most likely unobtainable."

Then he turned it around a time or two and said "Oh, let me tell you, it's worse than that.  This isn't even a Bendix valve body.  This is Wagner, which predates Bendix.  You'd be lucky if you could find anything related to that anywhere."

After giving me all the good news, he did describe what was likely inside, gave me lots of good advice about how to get it apart, freed up and rebuild or repair as necessary.

On the way to his shop, I had just thrown the valve in the bed of the pickup.  After hearing all this good information, I very carefully wrapped it in a towel and put it on the floor of the back seat.

I returned home after buying a new, superstrong, giant flat blade screwdriver in hopes of unscrewing the three flat head machine screws retaining the plate to the valve body.

Two miraculously came right out.  I didn't even have to torque on the screwdriver too much.  The third, not so much.

I clamped the body in a vice and used all the twist I could muster, but couldn't break it loose.  I tried the small crescent wrench on the screwdriver shaft trick.  That stripped part of the shoulder on one side of the screw.  I used my die grinder and deepened and sharpened the slot a bit.  Tried again, to no avail.  I cut a new slot crossways, still no dice.  Finally, I ended up just grinding down the screw head a bit until I could work the plate off over what was left of the screw, but I got it apart.

The inside of the valve looked really great.  Springs were nice and clean, O-rings looked nice and fat and flexible.  The only real problem was the pedal plunger seized in that unobtainable flat adapter plate.  Luckily it was seized in the applied position, meaning I could press the valve from the inside out.  Here is the assembly in the press with a couple of large sockets for use as pressing tools.

I was really worried about breaking that unobtainable plate, so I was very tentative and gentle pumping on that press.  I gradually pressed until I had the big spring compressed, then gave it very short strokes, followed by some hammer taps to the side of the plate after each short pump.  It still took a fair bit of pressure but after one tap SNAP! and the piston was flush with the plate.  No harm done!  Phew!

Now that the piston was out, a bit of polish with the wire brush in the die grinder, shoot some blaster and it was soon moving in and out smooth as silk.

I'm ready to reassemble the valve and reinstall it now.  That should put the braking system back to 100%.

Now to just fix that pesky injector, then tackle the electrical system!

Pete.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:27am

Saturday was rainy and cold, bought parts instead of working.

Sunday was nice.  Got the repaired air brake foot valve reinstalled and decide to try removing the stuck injector.

It took lots of time, thought and creativity to find a way to pry under the injector hold down ears and get it extracted.  I thought a two jaw gear puller was the solution, but there wasn't enough room to get the jaws under the hold down ears.

Finally, it came down to using the puller arms and some pipe extensions to very slowly and gradually finally get the injector out of the tube in the head.  It fought all the way.  Here are some pictures.

With the injector out, I polished up the body that goes down in the bore and cleaned everything on the top end out good.

Since I don't have the special knurled wrench to get the bottom nut off, I gave it a bit of a squeeze with a bit set of water pump pliers.  I didn't want to risk distorting or stripping it, so I didn't put too much pressure and I couldn't get it to budge.

I decided to swing the fuel line out, hook up the injector and run the engine to see what was happening.  Here are some photos of the spray pattern and a short video.

https://youtu.be/DGrJ-1aaQgs

That valve sure looks like its working fine to me.  Four nice clean jets of very atomized fuel, no drips or dribbles.  I also got very strong compression impulses out of the open injector hole, so I don't know why that cylinder isn't firing.

I'll have to fix the rotted hold down stud on the injector in order to get it to seal in the cylinder and be able to test run it.  Maybe it was stuck or plugged, and just getting it out has caused it to start working again.  If that isn't the case, I don't know why that cylinder isn't running.  Maybe compression is low there and after the engine gets warmed up it'll eventually cut in, or maybe it just won't ever run on that cylinder.

Any thoughts or advice?

Pete.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:58am
get a running compression test on that hole while that injector is out.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:20am
Good idea, Cal.  I was just in Harbor Freight Saturday and noticed a Diesel engine compression test setup.  A test should tell me if pressures are low (bad valves, rings, etc.) and let me rule that out or in.

I'll see if I can pick up one of those testers, if they fit this hole.  I assume I'll need to fix the hold down stud for that, too.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Pete.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garlic Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:02am

We spent Saturday loading the DW-21 at Arlie's house and hauling it home.  Other than a detour in the rain because Highway 58 was closed at Tehachapi when we got there, that was a fun day.  That left Sunday for a little work on the wheel dozer.

I attacked the broken injector hold down stud.  The stud that didn't break was also very necked down by rust and had bent a bit in all my prying around.  I had also managed to mess up the threads a bit, so the nut went on really hard.  I expected it to break off as I was tightening down the injector last weekend.  I double lucked out because no only did it not break off, but when I unscrewed it the threads bound enough that the stud screwed out and miraculously didn't break.

I got the injector out of the way and cleaned up the area as best I could.

I used a wire cup brush in a die grinder to polish up the sides of the protruding part of the stud, then covered everything with rags so I could try welding a nut on.

Even with my welding skills, there was enough of the stud protruding that it wasn't too hard to get the nut on there.

I was a little tentative and afraid of sticking the stud to the head, so the first couple of tries didn't quite stick.  The third time was the charm though.

A quick trip to Lamont General Store and I installed a couple nice, shiny new studs.

Blew everything out nice and clean and remounted the injector.

It sealed up nice, no compression leaks.  I didn't try any leakdown tests and for now, am a little leery about disturbing any of the other injectors to swap them around.  I did run it around loaded pretty good for a while, got the engine right up into the temperature operating range.  The miss stayed pretty consistent and I don't think I really saw consistent puffs of blue smoke as I would expect if that injector was working in a dead cylinder.

Another tell tale I've noticed is that while running the engine with the return line off the injectors, the other two in this head don't really return any fuel, their ports accumulated just a bit, but didn't really flow any fuel.  This injector flowed fuel from the return line port consistently.

Now that I have this injector easy to install and remove, I'll try the air pressure tests to look for leaks from this cylinder and consider swapping this injector with another to see if the miss follows.  I may also give another shot a disassembly of the bottom end of this injector.  The nut on the valve end requires a special splined wrench which I don't have and I'm afraid to clamp on it too much with pliers for fear of distorting it.

I guess that work will have to wait until the next available weekend.

Pete.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 2:15am
Garlic, did you ever get that miss solved in the DW21?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic