This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antifreeze/coolant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antifreeze/coolant
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:53pm
Any one have good intel on a good or acceptable antifreeze/coolant for a HD16. I only specify model out of habit. Any thing I should know about what brand to use. Was planning on a name brand 50/50 blend.

Should I flush the system first and if so any product to use to circulate in the cooling system prior to adding new fluid?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:39pm
Only real reason to flush system would be if the coolant looks dirty when draining . If still green drain and refill with a 50/50 mixture ! The pre packaged 50/50 are more expensive but the water in it is better than most house water ! I would stay with green antifreeze , there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers so brand is not very important . Stay away from the red extended life !!!!

Edited by dustydoo - 11 Oct 2017 at 3:42pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
thank you Dusty. I was thinking of the 50/50 blends. The water in the radiator now looks brown so Im going to flush it. I was looking at the heavy duty fluids from Prestone and others. They want 17.00 a gallon for the predicted stuff. Based on my need for 17 gallons thats going to almost 300 bucks. Just wanted to see if just normal over the counter stuff is good enough.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:30pm
I was told that if you want to flush your coolant system to fill it up with a heavy concentration of Dawn detergent and water. Run the engine for 20 minutes. Drain the system and flush with water from a hose. Then fill with coolant. 
Never tried it.
I would flush the system with water. Stick the water hose in an inlet somewhere and let it run out a bottom hose. I've only done this on cars but, lots of muck comes out.
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:49pm
green is the "standard life" antifreeze......... the yellow is a newer version and " extended life"..... its is better if you want to spend the money.. lasts several years
As mentioned, don't use the red, dark orange, purple, etc...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm
I would use the green stuff. Just make sure to add enough dca for the gallons you put in. It helps prevent pitting the cylinder liners from the coolant side.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:51pm
I usually use the 100% stuff with distilled water, not as expensive if you watch for sales.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 4:29am
Most if not all of the extended life antifreezes are only extended life if factory filled . They for an organic wall on the inside of the engine to promote longer life . Once green is introduce the film is removed . At the radiator shop where I work we use compressed air and water to flush a system when contaminated . I like to use soap when I have an oil filled radiator on the floor , not sure how well it works in dirt . The newer antifreezes also are not very good at handling the air in older cooling systems ,most newer systems are 100 0/0  full  where older systems leave a small air pocket at the top on cool down . 
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:28am
I had no idea there was this much information on antifreeze coolant. Thank You out everyone.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:20am
See what the truckers use. Ethylene Glycol antifreeze can be recycled. It gets filtered and PH checked and is reused. The organic stuff is Propylene Glycol that is bio degradable Don't use that. The newer antifreeze is for gasoline powered automobiles with aluminum motors and radiators. If you have a knowledgeable bulk oil supplier in your area ask them about antifreeze for diesel motors.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:53am
A fleet store in Michigan called Tractor Supply carries a antifreeze coolant called Fleet Recharged made my Peak. It claims to be a SCA Recharged product so Adding this is not necessary.

Not sure the color but it is not an extended life product. Anyone able to tell me what SCA Added means and is that a good think for an old HD16 engine.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:55am
Damn spell check. My message should have said Fleet Precharged brand from Peak.

Has SCA already precharged in the product eliminating having to add SCA separately.

What the heck is SCA and is it a good thing?
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:59am
I have used that tractor supply antifreeze for years and no problems. but on the other hand theres a lot of difference between northern states and southern states. lol  I have also used Walmart supertech antifreeze .  My dad always used peek in the dozers mainly because its what the moble oil bulk station sold . I remember when I was a kid on Christmas eve late in the evening we would always have to go check on the dozers and loaders to put antifreeze in them. most of the time they were in a dirt pit or  job site .found out later it was to get us out of the house so mom could get the presents out for later that night.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by michale34 michale34 wrote:

I have used that tractor supply antifreeze for years and no problems. but on the other hand theres a lot of difference between northern states and southern states. lol  I have also used Walmart supertech antifreeze .  My dad always used peek in the dozers mainly because its what the moble oil bulk station sold . I remember when I was a kid on Christmas eve late in the evening we would always have to go check on the dozers and loaders to put antifreeze in them. most of the time they were in a dirt pit or  job site .found out later it was to get us out of the house so mom could get the presents out for later that night.

hahaha, that Santa,, pretty tricky fellow.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:23pm
Hahaha, that Santa is a pretty tricky fellow.
ACman 220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACman 220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm
SCA means supplimental coolant additives, this is vital in a diesel engine. You would be money ahead to use a heavy duty precharged antifreeze instead of cheap ass auto antifreeze. It helps prevent cavitation too your liners. There is a major difference in auto and truck/tractor antifreeze
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:53am
Thank you. so many out there. A company I buy from called Fleet Pride has every kind of truck diesel coolant you can think of.

The reason why I was asking for opinions from the group as You all know what works for you in this regard with the AC Dozers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic